ALRIGHT! Muddy/Winter Grass goes VELVET!!!...3 large pics

OK, folks. After the recent idea of doing muddy winter grass for use from November to March. I decided to try doing it to the VELVET grass. Well after looking through PhotoImpact's "Easy Pallete" I found an very interesting filter called....drum roll..."Withered Grass"!!! Whoalla!

Well so I went through and applied this filter to the Brush, Marsh, Hedges, Fields, Fall Tree bases, and of course the Velvet Grass files. And I came up with this:

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=40376046&Sequence=0&res=high

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=40376042&Sequence=0&res=high

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=40376038&Sequence=0&res=high

As you may know, Velvet Grass shows elevation changes quite well. Well so does this. Also as the "high" tiles start to get used, there is still some green in them and the very top tiles are pretty much unchanged, however, I did apply the filter to everything and this is what happened. Pretty cool really.

I have also updated my Batch files to swap the other terrain elements as well.

I think I will zip these up in small parts and send them to either CM Outpost or COMBAT MISSIONS.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

Maximus,

I like it! Its a great idea. I can setup a batch file to use this for November to Febuary/March. I've got Gigs for CM.

I would like to get hold of this one...

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 02-08-2001).]

OK, if I get time tomorrow, I'll go through and zip up the elements into emailable files and send them off to the Outpost.

The mods I used were: Old Dogs's Velvet Grass, DD's tree bases, Kevin's Watery Marsh, R. Tremblet's Brush, and DesertFox's Hedge.

I have added '_w' and '_s' suffixes to all of these to fit my Batch files.

------------------

Originally posted by Maximus:

OK, if I get time tomorrow, I'll go through and zip up the elements into emailable files and send them off to the Outpost.

The mods I used were: Old Dogs's Velvet Grass, DD's tree bases, Kevin's Watery Marsh, R. Tremblet's Brush, and DesertFox's Hedge.

I have added '_w' and '_s' suffixes to all of these to fit my Batch files.

Those are brilliant - as in excellent, not bright! They would be good not just for mud, but for spring, fall and winter scenarios without snow. I think I'll use them permanently - depending on how well all my brown jeeps and tanks stand out against it!

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, and the idea of it. But I'd agree with Tiger, the grass is slightly dark. The tree bases look about right, but the winter wheat is also too dark. Well, I suppose European wheat is the same as American wheat. But in winter around here (East Coast), the wheat is a bright yellow or tan color.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to mods. I have a ton of them in the game now, but is there something out there that lets me pick and choose what mods I can use for any given battle? Or can I use this mod (as an example) with the other grass I have now?

Where do I get the program if it exsists and whats the IP address of the CM outpost. I don't have it saved as a favorite.

Nedlam

"When the enemy is coming at you from three sides, run like hell the other way."

Originally posted by Tiger:

I'm not sure "grass" is that muddy during the winter months. To get mud it has to be run over by many vehicles repeatedly (i.e. roads). You'd probably need to use a little bit more green/yellow-green coloring.

-Tiger

Um I'd agree, grass would have to be well "cut up" by tanks and ruddy-faced farmers before it gained that shade.

Well, I attempted to send this to Gary Kump, but he informed me that he wasn't connected with the Outpost anymore. I was under the assumption that he would "Forward" them to DraGoon.

On the other hand, I've had trouble sending stuff to DraGoon too, so I don't know when I can get this out.

I may try Manx's COMBAT MISSIONS.

nedlam, I have included batch files to swap between the green grass and the winter grass. But they require some renaming of your current terrain files. Renaming as in adding suffixes to the end of the bmp numbers. '_s' for Summer and '_w' for Winter.

Bruno, for the wheat tiles, I used the summer wheat from the "real wheat" mod and browned it up and it looks like freshly plowed soil.

------------------