Favorite Terrain & Grass Mods

I'm new to the mods and would like to know everyone's favorite for grass and trees. After an evening of tests, I'm leaning toward DD's set. I prefer a more subtle look and DD's got it but I'm not crazy about the grass. The coloring is good but it doesn't have the depth or dimension of Richard Tremblett's velvet grass. However, Tremblett's is a little too bright beneath DD's trees. Something in between would be perfect. Any suggestions?

I realize this is all a matter of personal preference but that's what I'm looking for--your favorites. Fire away.

Thanks,

Steve

My suggestion is Wolf's easy-to-see-elevation grass/snow mod (aka Wolf's hi-contrast grass), it's made to fit with DD's trees and stuff, but I like the color and pattern better. You can also see the terrain elevation very easily with this mod, which is very important thing when thinking about battle tactics.

You can get the mod from CMHQ, altough the mod is old version and I only have the new version (with much better snow). I've tried to catch Madmatt so he'd take and host the new one.

-Wolf

Screenshots: http://www.wolffi.freeservers.com/index.htm

(snow screenshot is old one and the lo-res version is not supported anymore)

I used Old Dog's sub-dued Velvet grass and DD's trees and tree bases but with DD's snow.

I was using DD's grass, but like Mudfrost said it doesn't show much differentiation amongst elevation changes.

I used Panzertruppen's buildings. Love the high-detailed war-torn battered look.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

Well, I think it's very important to see the terrain elevation in CM, but it's sad that the look will suffer from high contrast between tiles.

I made this mod, because I liked to see the elevation easily, but the gridded terrain sure wasn't beautiful to watch. I'm very satisfied with the mix between the look and the ease of seeing elevation in my mod.

CM engine should have feature to soften the contrast between tiles.

Ok, I tried the Wolf grass. I like the tactical value of the coloration but it lacks texture. You're right, Wolf, it does fit nicely with DD's trees. It blends nicely at the wood's edge but then becomes blocky across the rest of the terrain (squares of terrain are very apparent). With more texture and seemless blending, it would be perfect! Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Wolf, keep in touch. I like this mod.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mudfrost:

Ok, I tried the Wolf grass. I like the tactical value of the coloration but it lacks texture. You're right, Wolf, it does fit nicely with DD's trees. It blends nicely at the wood's edge but then becomes blocky across the rest of the terrain (squares of terrain are very apparent). With more texture and seemless blending, it would be perfect! Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Wolf, keep in touch. I like this mod.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the feedback, that's the only way to make it better! smile.gif

I personally love the texture in my grass, I like the simplicity in it. I don't like grass with too much detail in it. It looks too "restless". (I'm having a little difficulties explaining my points, because I don't speak English, I hope you'll understand my points.) The terrain is also lo-res because I don't have a high end machine myself, so I wanted the game to run smoothly. (I hate when strategy games demand from computer too much.)

I think it's impossible to blend those tiles with CM's current engine, if you want to see elevation as easily as it could be with my mod.

----edited----

Mudfrost,

You should play some games with my mod, you're really going to like the tactical advantage it gives and you'll going to get used to the little "blocky" look so that you don't even notice it. smile.gif It's very nice how you can see the hills and valleys with this mod.

[This message has been edited by Wolf^ (edited 12-30-2000).]

Ryan,

I liked your suggestion. So far, the Desert Fox grass looks best with DD's trees. I'm sure there are a hundred other combinations I haven't yet tried but I'm happy with this. Now, if we could just get Wolf's elevations in here...

Thanks for the tip. Anyone else have a good terrain combo?

Steve

I'm probably in the minority, but I use the topographical gridded grass set (topogrid.zip). The grid lines get lighter for higher terrain. The grass color stays the same.

I'm at a 2nd grade reading level in terms of reading terrain - I need all the help I can get smile.gif

I've gone through various phases with terrain but have settled (for now smile.gif ) on the following:

Old Dog Subdued Velvet Grass

DDtrees, hedges and winter effects

Panzertruppen buildings

Desertfox subdued wheat

Tiger's rough tiles

Homemade efforts for brush and marsh

Thanks to all the mod authors for their excellent efforts and to Madmatt and Kump for making them available to the rest of us.

MudFrost try http://www.gkump.com/cm/intro.htm for some terrain comparisons.

Happy New Year to All.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

Wolf,

I appreciate your effort. I use your grass and would not go back. Being able to pick small hills and valleys at view 7 or 8 has made it a lot easier for me.

I'd choose that over looks anyday.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you! smile.gif

I just hope that Madmatt and Kump will soon review my mod so that more people would know about it.

I think you're having the old version of my mod, new one has better snow. The new one is only available from me. I've tried to catch Madmatt in CM-chat but he is always too busy and I can't use my email to send it. So it kind of sucks.. frown.gif You can get the new one from me if you'll come to CM-chat.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KrazyKnut:

I find it too hard to track the terrain, even from views 1 and 2, so I'm using Trembelt's Velvet Bumpy Grid.

I do think DD's offer the best look if you want to get pictures or movies to post.

Shoot fast, shoot straight<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried my mod? If you haven't, then you really SHOULD. The whole idea of my mod is to show terrain elevation more clear. I think you would like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

OMG he's right. Wolf's grass and DD's trees is sweet. smile.gif BUT! In the screenshot I noticed something.....the rough looked like real rocks! Where is this magical mod?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that's nice to hear! Thank you very much! smile.gif

If I remember right, the rough graphic is Gunslinger's.

Back to celebrate the new year! *hik!* =)

Happy New Year all! Time for resolutions; time for change. So, how about recommendations for your favorite mods! Post 'em here. Wolf might be winning me over with his tactical landscape--it just makes sense--but I'm still hunting the ultimate.

What's your perfect mod combination for tactics and esthetics?

Happy New Year. Stay safe.

Steve