Favorite Terrain & Grass Mods

I just tried out your low-contrast & high-contrast grasses, Wolf. As a low-res version of grass (193K), I think your low-contrast is an interesting option. The high-contrast is a bit more "overt" to me, with the highest elevation levels being too grayed over for me.

For the low-res grass versions of 193K file size, I've leaned in the past to Tremblett's "velvet" grass as I liked the shading & hue variations applied per tile. But his stock version is a bit "fluorescent" in its yellow-green color to me. Others like DD's hi-res (768K) and yours in turn could be a bit "greener", but you're closer than DD on this mark.

(all IMHO, of course wink.gif )

I've in turn reworked Tremblett's to get some of the fluorescent hue out without losing too much of the green, by adjusting down the color equalization and then slightly adjusting up the brightness to compensate. This is what I use for my CM grass, although I think the higher elevation tiles can still use some more work. I've never posted this to CMHQ (I'm not certain of it being a "finished" product), but I can e-mail you a set for your review and to revise if you so wish.

Spook,

Wow, there were many a bit strange terms to me (I'm from Finland, so my English isn't the best), hope I understood right everything.

There are many many tastes 'bout the grass color and I personally love my work. The color is just right for me. Because I love DD's work I made very similiar color grass as his grass so it would fit with his trees and stuff.

I'm having many many problems to get my work for people to download. I don't have my own webspace and the only way I can send the file is FTP, irc's DCC or ICQ's send for now. My email doesn't support bigger than ~500k packages and it's ****ty thing. Madmatt told me yesterday that I should stop bugging him with my mod, (If I remember right, I was a bit drunk for some reason..) I won't anymore bug him. So, I'm the only having the current version (probably the final) of my mod.

Sure you can send me email, I'd love to discuss about mod making. wexu_@hotmail.com

PS. I probably forgot many things I was going to say in this post. wink.gif

No bigger than 500k packages for your e-mail? Ouch, that can put the pinch on some CM PBEM files too.

My ICQ # 97807694. Authorization is required, so type in "CM grass" for the reason wink.gif Then maybe we can file-transfer that way.

I think your grass is a good low-res version (VERY important for those gamers with less video memory), and it's pretty close. But like many other things with personal taste (like the face mods), you can always find yourself checking back on it with time for a new tweak.

I like low-res grass better than high-res. As I have said earlier somewhere, I like simplicity in grass, too much detail gives too "restless" look. Of course you could do high-res grass with little detail, but there's no sense.

And as Spook said, lo-res is great for low end machines like mine. (Well, it's not SO low end machine anymore as I got new display card. Now CM runs like a dream!) smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

As an avid mod collector I was very interested in this thread and it got me trying out all my grass mods again.I settled on DD's grass,but then decided to download Wolfs "high-contrast" grass.Wow,I'm hooked.It may not be as pretty as some others,but as an aid to guaging the lie of the land its superb.It also looks a damn sight better than having a grid overlay.Well done wolf,but dont rest on your laurels,get working on the all new,improved,mk2 version!