Combat Missions - Reality TV

Give away secrets!! Come on guys there's no big secret to the tacics used by our SF types and anything the bad guys want to know they probably already bought it from Clinton. biggrin.gif

You guys should know it's more the training than the tactics. Plus the element of suprise. There is nothing morally wrong about having a show like this. Its definately more moral than say Temptation Island.

As for the Army of one thing. I also thought the same way until I heard from my friend in the Army that recruiting is way up. Remember the AD is to recruit 18-19 year old babies. It's not ment for guys already in or out of the Army. Bottom line is it's doing what it is supposed too.

Guest MantaRay

Sorry, but you are a bit off on your assesment. We train quite a few SF teams, and I do know from experience in this. Infact, some of our SFoD units are there specificly to train other foreign nationals how to fight. Gives us a decided advantage to help disrupt enemy lines of supply and communications.

Originally posted by Berkut:

I am not saying that they should stop it, they should not take part.

As for the training, we may train their officers, we may train their infantry in basics, but I don't for one minute believe we have been training foreign special forces in our own techniques.

We also have to remember that this crap can be watched by terrorists as well. Do you want celebrity spec-op warriors who are in the public eye so often that we know what their kids names are and where they go to school?

There's a big difference between dictatorship and a measured commonsense approach.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

I am far more worried about the effect something like this has on very young minds.

A wargame like CM is not going to be played by very many under the age of 12, but the show will be watched by many ages easily.

It shows war and killing as a game for earning money. Money earned for killing.

The whole genre is about making money for bad, even aborrehent behavior.

I also agree with the sentiment that it cheapens the armed services.

Originally posted by Wilhammer:

I am far more worried about the effect something like this has on very young minds.

A wargame like CM is not going to be played by very many under the age of 12, but the show will be watched by many ages easily.

Anyone who joins the armed forces is learning how to kill... how to be a killer. All soldiers are in theory getting paid to kill.

At least this show would depict things like hostage rescues, etc. Good things. Not some gun toting thugs shooting whores for crack money. Also, the violence level should theoretically be LESS than your average TV Drama, because the main focus will be on the game elements, and not on realistic depiction of bodily injury.

Someone said that this is totally different than wargaming because the PRODUCERS of the show are in it for the money...

However, I'm pretty sure BTS has made a decent showing off of CM's sales.

I'm still not convinced this show is anything bad...

It beats the heck out of stupid ideas like SURVIVOR or TEMPTATION ISLAND.

I seen an ad for another one of these shows called "Boot Camp". Do any of you types who have a problem with the "Combat Missions" show have a problem with that one?

As for the 12 year olds watching. That is a parents responsibility not the Governments or T.V. producers.

As for mercenaries. I for one am glad they were around in 1776.

Originally posted by iggi:

The show's name has to be good for CM. smile.gif

We are all going to be watching it with a nice cold beer.

I agree... people doing any sort of a search for it on the internet are going to HAVE to come across something CM related. Might kick up a lot of accidental business for BTS.

(Heck, if you do a search for Normandy, WWII, Hedgerows, Bocage, or Tank Pics you come up with a ton of CM sites.)

I'll be kicked back with a cold one watching...

Any idea when it starts?

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

(Heck, if you do a search for Normandy, WWII, Hedgerows, Bocage, or Tank Pics you come up with a ton of CM sites.)

Unfortunately, a search for "Mormon Wives" will take the unwary internet surfer straight to the cesspool. Now, if that doesn't make someone activate parental controls, nothing will... biggrin.gif

------------------

"Za Rodentia!"

Originally posted by Wilhammer:

The whole genre is about making money for bad, even aborrehent behavior.

I also agree with the sentiment that it cheapens the armed services.

Gee, have you ever heard the phrase, "Will you kill for college?"

I have and it has a ring of truth about it.

Lets face something here, if the military tomorrow made the announcement "We are no longer going to pay our soldiers, and in fact there will be no more pensions or money for college," how many people do you think the military would have left in it's ranks? Next to none.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am not saying this is a bad thing, but I am just realizing the fact that people need something other than nationalistic pride to possible die for thier country.

Money is not really an issue here since they have always been paid to do what they do, but maybe now, with the networks, they will just get paid what they are worth.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 03-12-2001).]

Originally posted by Forever Babra:

Unfortunately, a search for "Mormon Wives" will take the unwary internet surfer straight to the cesspool. Now, if that doesn't make someone activate parental controls, nothing will... biggrin.gif

LOL!!!

... and JSHANDORF, I agree. I've always been sickened when comparing the salary of your average TV Sports figure, and that of someone who risks their life to help others (Police, Armed Forces, etc.)

Not that I believe the Country or States could afford to PAY each Cop and Soldier that amount! But if they are not making that amount of Cash, then someone who plays with balls for a career CERTAINLY isn't worth that kind of money.

Interesting reactions.

Am I totally wrong if I assume that in the case a TV company would present a gladiator show with real killing (gee, after all they have to earn their money and it's their own life.) some of you would find arguments to defend it?

As I said: interesting reactions.

Sig

Originally posted by Sig:

Interesting reactions.

Am I totally wrong if I assume that in the case a TV company would present a gladiator show with real killing (gee, after all they have to earn their money and it's their own life.) some of you would find arguments to defend it?

Sig

Depends... are the Gladiators participating of their own free will? (OR Death Row criminals?)

wink.gif

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."

Originally posted by Sig:

Interesting reactions.

Sig

I really don't think you want to go there, since I have a feeling alot of people have different attitudes to this then you, but then again if you like to argue, go right ahead.

Jeff

OK, I see a lot of different views on this subject so I will put in one last input.

The concept trivializes the profession of arms far beyond any computer game. A computer game is a picture (a moving one) of warfare. We can all point out a hundred differences between reality and CM. CM and the like are games which simulate some of the aspects of armed conflict. Anybody can play them for individual reward and gratification.

The TV show as presented, charges over that line by taking trained troops and having them apply real-world tactics to a "game" for commercial gratification. This brings the soldiers and parades them in front of the world as they demonstrate their craft. The only thing missing is the blood.

In my mind this is exploitation and crosses too far into reality. Not unlike my views toward Soldier of Fortune which took shooting people to an unhealthy level.

The service of arms is it's people and so long as you leave direct involvement of the troops out of it hey fill your boots, I have no problem with firepower demos or equipment shows. Once you parade real soldiers (who are in fact the soul of any Army) and have them do tricks for the mass media, so long as they get paid. I have a problem with that.

Now that is my opinion and I won't be watching but seeing as this is a wonderfully free set of countries you may watch what you wish. I would only point out that in my opinion the show lacks class and is in bad taste.

Originally posted by Hurricane:

I don´t agree. The right way of rescuing hostages are by discussing and waiting. I guess we wouldn´t see much of that on TV.

Bah! Negotiating with terrorists doesn't sit right with me. Unless you're only negotiating until their heads get in your sights...