Chaffee Chafing?

I recently played a QB ,ME, as the allies. I decided to buy, (among the usuall combined arms) a platoon of chaffees, to test thier strengths and weaknesses. I think its best to try a whole platoon of a certain type when learning unit quirks, see all the aspects at once, experiment faster ect.ect.

Anyways, I figured that since shermans die so quickly anyways, whats the loss of the armour if I can carry a gun just as good( or bad :rolleyes: )as the Zippo? They cost 100 points straight up, have a good balanced ammo loadout, and allright speed. In two turns, my 5 Chaffees greased 3 PzIVs 2 Pumas, and a Panther G, with, and get this....NO LOSSES!! Nada,Zip,Nuttin'Hunny.

Granted, I had good flank shots on the panther, but still, I was pleasantly suprised. They went on to splatter some Germans(its probably not PC to say the 'K' Word)in halftracks and a clay pigeon,ooops, I mean kubelwagon. I lost one to a shrek' and one was rendered immobile by ATmines. But given the average performance of Allied armour, Id have to say thy're my new fave, well, for the Allies.

So I was wondering what everyone else thought of them, likes and dislikes, or just some history maybe?

Also, just for fun, If you had to be beamed back Into WWII, And you could pick any WWII era tank to drive, no matter which side you fought, what one would it be?

For me, I think it would be the panther G, but its a hard one. This is kinda a geeky question, but, c'mon, I KNOW youve thought about it ;) .

Ahh! the Chaffee. I really like that little tank. The Chaffee was a replacement for the Stuart and as such should be considered for roles as such. The 75mm is not the same gun off of a Sherman though, it is (IIRC) the M6 gun, used from the Mitchell bomber. The armor is only ~25mm but with good slope thus increasing protection. Also the Torsion Bar suspension also helps the tank in all the standard "good suspension" ways. Basically you can hunt light armor and threaten medium armor with the Chaffee. Also while this is far from the norm, in a freakish accident I had a Chaffee deflect a 88mm round from a KT at ~300m in a battle the other day! Sloped armor is good.

Given a choice of armor that I would command in the war I think I would choose the British Avenger TD. Only a few were built and none served (the Comet superceding it) but a tank destroyer with 32mph and 100+ mm armor on hull and turret sounds good to me. Also a true 17lbs gun not the Hybrid on the Comet.

Although quick second choices would be the Austrailian Sentinel, Pershing, and of course the ever popular Tiger.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Chaffee but it was one of my faves in Steel Panthers. During QB's I usually go for Stuarts as my light tank of choice but I think I'll give the Chaffee a go next time.

Yes, I've thought about what tank I'd wanna be in during the war. I honestly don't have a clear cut favorite though.

Historically the Chaffee proved to be reliable in the field, but undergunned if they had to face any kind of armor. They saw extensive action in Korea, where they were some of the first tanks on the scene. The experience led to the belief that they needed upgunning, and the Walker Bulldog resulted. A sort of Chaffee crossed with Hellcat - 45 mph, 76mm high velocity gun with full top and MGs. Bulldogs served in Vietnam. Compared to Stuarts there is no contest. The serious alternative to pick in WW II is the Hellcat - better vs. armor, not as useful against infantry and artillery.

I remember seeing a picture of the MAUS, this gawdawfull huge behemoth that looked like it could pound the snot out of anything.Well, if it could move.Im going to do some experiments with the chaffee, see how it stands up in differant situations.It seems that the stats dont allways mean the bottom line on how good a unit is. Ill report my findings when I get a chance :D .

I played a QB ME, 1250 pts. that comes out to 12 Chaffees.

1 whirblewind

1JagdpnzrIV

1 tiger

1PzrV Panther

1PzrIVJ

1Hetzer

1 Marder

1Jagdpanther

1 wespe

All for the cost of 4 Chaffees. While this is probably not the most scientific test, it shows what it can do. It seems to have uncanny accuracy while moving on fast, which makes it top pick for flanking and manuvering. A regular crew killed a hetzer at 800 m and the JagdpnzIV at 700m, the rest were closer, and from the flanks, but this lil puppy can MOVE. I know most people out here already are aware of this lil gem, but it is new to me!

If anyone has some good tactics they like to use, let me know. Thanks!

Well as far as which tank I would have picked to be in I guess I'd have to say the jumbo 76mm if allied or if they had made me be on the German side :D the Panther. Don't know enough about the differences in the Panthers to say which one so whichever one was the best. I assume this was the G late?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Kingfish, is that your web site? It can't be for real? Somebody's messing with us. Right? :rolleyes:smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it was a real tank. That particular picture on the link Kingfish put up is a bit suspect though. I don't think that guy was originally there, as he seems a bit off in size. smile.gif Here is the original picture I think: m22Locust.jpg

Thanks Subvet for clearing that up. Man, I was thinking - get out of here! Would have been interesting to get some data on it like weight, speed, crew size etc. Not a bad looking tank overall but not a mean looking one either. Kind of plain, don't you think?