Officers aren't that tough!

Is it just me having been just a E-5 in the army or does anybody else find it odd that an officer can go head to head with a sherman tank and win. I know that in real life that an individual could on rare, rare, rare, occasion take a tank out, but it was not very often. The more I play CM the more often this happens and it's bugging me. I wonder if the powers to be are aware of this or are they all ex-officers themselves. No meanest intended on that last remark just good old troops vs officer thinking.

Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

I think it's a matter of perspective. I always figure it's the radioman that performs the heroic act, while the Lt. is shivering with fear and looking for the nearest Officer's Club.

Just like in the movies, the Lt. is always the inexpiranced soldier, and the platoon sergeant is the seasoned veteran. Like in that old vietnam show "Tour of Duty"

------------------

Charlie don't Surf

shadow@jagdtiger.de

http://www.orbitonline.ca/~Shadow/index.html

Not sure what you mean by "officer". Do you mean Platoon HQs? If that is the case, two out of every three platoons in a German company were led by NCOs, not officers. In combat, with casualties piling up, probably more. Most of the platoon HQ units in your German forces are probably devoid of officers.

Those are good old sausage-eating, goose-stepping German NCOs waxing your Shermans!

With all due respect, even 8 men out in the open are dead, dead , dead against a tank. Sure if it's tight quarters or something, then just maybe, but what's the odd's? a billion to one? No, I think HQ's are too strong in this othewise very realistic and kick-ass game. Not that I'll stop playing it but now my sherman's are afraid and won't go head to head with anything but another tank where they may have a chance.

It is very difficult for infantry to kill a tank by close assault without appropriate weapons ie Fausts or Demo charges.

It is very difficult for tanks to kill infantry by close assault without appropriate weapons ie infantry

biggrin.gif

A point to note: the open terrain in CM is not a barren plain devoid of cover or a well mowed fairway. In fact I wish someone would get rid of that grass look altogether as it's so bloody misleading.

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"

Originally posted by Devil Dog:

Elijah,

Being a radio operator myself, I will agree that it is always the radio man who performs the heroic acts. wink.gif

Semper Fidelis

Yea, he points out who the officer is to the sniper. The guy standing next to the radio man wink.gif

As a tanker and an officer I feel compelled to add to this most humorous thread. There are only 2 things that really give me pause as a tanker.

1 - A Hind on the loose and I don't have air support. This should be self-explanatory.

2 - Infantry within 50 meters of my tank. Infantry with even simple weapons can destroy a tank with ease if they know what they are doing. A MG keeps the tank buttoned while the others rush the tank from one of its many blind spots. Once they are close to the tank it is easy enough to disable/destroy it. Most WWII tanks were all but blind buttoned. If you ever get the opportunity to hop on a M1A1 at a demo or something look through the gunners sight and the tank commanders periscopes. Then imagine several being a few being shot out, smoke, dirty, rain, etc. It should give you an appreciation for the infantry that help keep the tank alive. The only reason tanks are out there is to support the infantry. However, if the infantry don't support the tank in close quarters it will be dispatched rather quickly.

Bucket-

As a side benefit to the crunchies (infantry) tanks tend to draw fire. Just like a bar fight...take out the big bastard first. > smile.gif

Also the exhaust from an M1A1 is hot enough to warm up a squad of shivering crunchies in a heartbeat. During a freezing cold Op a little over a year ago my PlgSgt invited a platoon of infantry to rotate over to one of my tanks that had tied in with them the night before. The infantry were a little confused until they saw a couple of tankers toasting themselves by the grill doors.

I thank all who answered. It makes me feel a lot better about the game. I was thinking yeah right troops taking out a tank close quarters. So now I find out that's realistic. And Damn, I didn't think an officer would be in on this game. Sorry ( Black Five ) if I was poking fun at officers but I'm sure you understand. Thanks for the info - Sir!

Guest Seimerst

The only reason I haven't dropped a grenade down the hatch of any T-whatever tank (pick your model from 1971 to 2001) as an officer is because it would require too much %#$@& paperwork to get another grenade from the tight-fisted quartermasters.

What would be the best way for your typical modern infantry man, without any AT assets (like Stingers missiles or a similar contraption) to take out something like an M1 in close quarters?

I assume the tracks are "sensitive" enough to be immobilized with something like a bundle of grenades. What could, however, knock out a beast of that sort? Keeping in mind the hatch is closed, of course.

I thought vision/aiming slots, but I've had the pleasure to see a M1 up close and they are rather small.

Do Inf. today carry anything in the ilk of Panzerfausts?

Tanks in advance! wink.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by Tanks a Lot:

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread. I just wanted to make my 30th post to become a member. Do I get a gold watch or something?

I second that opinion and feel the need to bump this important thread up. (I'm trying to get this "junior" from under my name after 7 months)