PC Gamer's top 50 games of all time, look where CM is!!

this is just disturbing and made me sick to my stomach, once again brainless twitch games win out.

50: Combat Mission,

49: Tribes 1 & 2

48: Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity

47: Sam & Max Hit the Road

46: Homeworld

45: Worms series

44: No One Lives Forever

43: High Heat Baseball series

42: Bard's Tale

41: Populous

40: Roller Coaster Tycoon

39: Total Annihilation

38: Lords of the Realm II

37: Unreal series

36: Monkey Island series

35: 1942: Pacific Air War

34: Star Control 2

33: Need For Speed series

32: Gabriel Knight series

31: Master of Orion

30: Ultima Underworld series

29: Heroes of Might & Magic series

28: Panzer General

27: NHL 2001

26: Tomb Raider

25: The SimCity series

24: Age of Empires II

23: System Shock Series

22: Warcraft Series

21: Ultima-Ultima VII

20: Everquest

19: Wing Commander series

18: Black & White

17: Quake series

16: X-Wing series

15: Doom 1 & 2

14: C&C: Red Alert series

13: Baldur's Gate series

12: Duke Nukem 3D

11: The Sims

10: Deus Ex

9: Rainbow Six series

8: Mechwarrior 2

7: Diablo series

6: Starcraft

5: Dark Forces series

4: Fallout 1 & 2

3: X-Com: UFO Defense

2: Civilization II

1: Half-Life

does this list piss anyone else off??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is just disturbing and made me sick to my stomach, once again brainless twitch games win out.

50: Combat Mission,

49: Tribes 1 & 2

48: Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity

47: Sam & Max Hit the Road

46: Homeworld

45: Worms series

44: No One Lives Forever

43: High Heat Baseball series

42: Bard's Tale

41: Populous

40: Roller Coaster Tycoon

39: Total Annihilation

38: Lords of the Realm II

37: Unreal series

36: Monkey Island series

35: 1942: Pacific Air War

34: Star Control 2

33: Need For Speed series

32: Gabriel Knight series

31: Master of Orion

30: Ultima Underworld series

29: Heroes of Might & Magic series

28: Panzer General

27: NHL 2001

26: Tomb Raider

25: The SimCity series

24: Age of Empires II

23: System Shock Series

22: Warcraft Series

21: Ultima-Ultima VII

20: Everquest

19: Wing Commander series

18: Black & White

17: Quake series

16: X-Wing series

15: Doom 1 & 2

14: C&C: Red Alert series

13: Baldur's Gate series

12: Duke Nukem 3D

11: The Sims

10: Deus Ex

9: Rainbow Six series

8: Mechwarrior 2

7: Diablo series

6: Starcraft

5: Dark Forces series

4: Fallout 1 & 2

3: X-Com: UFO Defense

2: Civilization II

1: Half-Life

does this list piss anyone else off??

You're kidding me, right?

CM has been out for just over a year, and it's already in the top 50 games ever made.

Just _look_ at the games listed. Are you seriously suggesting that CM is moer influential than the Sims, or Civ2 -- or even Rainbow Six?

Wargamers are a marginalized community at best because there are so few gamers -- note that Panzer General is the only other "wargame" on the list, and only because it could buy into mainstream support.

Think a bit about context before you jump on "brainless twitch games." These are the most influential games since the mid 80s -- and, while not disparaging Steve and Charles in any way, if you think that CM's contribution to the corpus of gaming is greater than Doom, Quake, Everquest or Fallout, you need to re-examine your beliefs.

You're kidding me, right?

CM has been out for just over a year, and it's already in the top 50 games ever made.

Just _look_ at the games listed. Are you seriously suggesting that CM is moer influential than the Sims, or Civ2 -- or even Rainbow Six?

Wargamers are a marginalized community at best because there are so few gamers -- note that Panzer General is the only other "wargame" on the list, and only because it could buy into mainstream support.

Think a bit about context before you jump on "brainless twitch games." These are the most influential games since the mid 80s -- and, while not disparaging Steve and Charles in any way, if you think that CM's contribution to the corpus of gaming is greater than Doom, Quake, Everquest or Fallout, you need to re-examine your beliefs.

Triumvir, you make a good point. But they rank Beavis and Butthead above CM!!! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: I mean, come on! Is this a ranking of sales figures or of game quality? To me a game isn't great or bad because of the sales figures. But maybe I'm just weird.

Triumvir, you make a good point. But they rank Beavis and Butthead above CM!!! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: I mean, come on! Is this a ranking of sales figures or of game quality? To me a game isn't great or bad because of the sales figures. But maybe I'm just weird.

Actually, I'm very impressed that CM made that list. Very impressed. Look at the run of games on that list. Not a single true wargame-base game in the lot - except for CM. That's saying something.

Actually, I'm very impressed that CM made that list. Very impressed. Look at the run of games on that list. Not a single true wargame-base game in the lot - except for CM. That's saying something.

Virtual Stupidity -- unlike all the other Beavis and Butthead games -- was actually quite enjoyable. And it sold like hotcakes to nongamers.

As for Halflife, if you're doubting the power of a game that is still being played 3 whole years after release, and shows no sign of stopping, you're not that familiar with the gaming industry.

Trust me, 50 is an _incredible_ ranking for CM, given its scope and target audience

Virtual Stupidity -- unlike all the other Beavis and Butthead games -- was actually quite enjoyable. And it sold like hotcakes to nongamers.

As for Halflife, if you're doubting the power of a game that is still being played 3 whole years after release, and shows no sign of stopping, you're not that familiar with the gaming industry.

Trust me, 50 is an _incredible_ ranking for CM, given its scope and target audience

I am with triumvir on this. Altough CM is a wonderfull game. Some of the have been out for severla years and were revolutionary, Half life comes in mind.

I also would of ranked Half life as #1. You can't judge games you never played, I played at least half of those games if not more and all are very good.

Half life, still play it, Civ2 still play that now and then, Dues ex absolutly the best FPS/RPg game ever. Starcraft, the Koreans have starcraft characters on their cereal boxes, chip bags, TV shows, billboards and so on. The sims, million of people play that game, good for all ages and ver enjoyable. DoomI and II made FPS games.

I can keep goin but won't you people should get the picture. Most of you never played anything alse other than wargames, some of us have. Remember this is ONLY 50 games there hundered-thousands of games out there. CM is very lucky to be up there, VERY lucky!! Congrats though!!!

I am with triumvir on this. Altough CM is a wonderfull game. Some of the have been out for severla years and were revolutionary, Half life comes in mind.

I also would of ranked Half life as #1. You can't judge games you never played, I played at least half of those games if not more and all are very good.

Half life, still play it, Civ2 still play that now and then, Dues ex absolutly the best FPS/RPg game ever. Starcraft, the Koreans have starcraft characters on their cereal boxes, chip bags, TV shows, billboards and so on. The sims, million of people play that game, good for all ages and ver enjoyable. DoomI and II made FPS games.

I can keep goin but won't you people should get the picture. Most of you never played anything alse other than wargames, some of us have. Remember this is ONLY 50 games there hundered-thousands of games out there. CM is very lucky to be up there, VERY lucky!! Congrats though!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Huh! Civ1 is not there but Civ2 is? How stupid is that.

And no Elite!!! :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hate to say it Jarmo but you're showing you're age here. smile.gif BTW, I have to agree with you on Elite, for what it could do with all that front end raw processing power of the Commodore 64 it was simply an astounding game.

Regards

Jim R.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Huh! Civ1 is not there but Civ2 is? How stupid is that.

And no Elite!!! :mad:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hate to say it Jarmo but you're showing you're age here. smile.gif BTW, I have to agree with you on Elite, for what it could do with all that front end raw processing power of the Commodore 64 it was simply an astounding game.

Regards

Jim R.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]