How much does it take to kill a guy???

Just tried the demo. Certainly considering getting it but I noticed that in the demo my tanks and infantry are shooting on opposing soldiers without any apparent effect on them. (casulties) Shouldn't a couple rounds kill the foot soldiers? It's like that have 10 times the armor of a tank. In the first scenario I tried, I had lost 4 tanks before I had even killed one soldier. And yes, the tracers are all over them. Even the tank shelling doesn't do anything to them. What's up? :mad:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olebooya:

The squads actually do diminish as you kill soldiers.......

For each 1/3 of the squad you kill, one guy goes away (assumikng you are playing with the 3 soldier squads turned on).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, yes, I meant to say full strength squads are represented by 3 men. Thanks for the correction.

If you click on the enemy units, you can see two symbols with numbers - a red cross showing how many men have been killed or incapacitated, and a helmet, showing the number of OK soldiers.

Were they in the trees????

Or running out in open ground or somefink???

The terrain has a big impact on the amount of casualties a sqaud takes.

Range does too.......

Was the tank buttoned up?????

Lots of factors to take into consideration here.

If you were getting shot at by a tank you would probably be trying to claw your way into the earth. Same goes for CM.

Sometimes, it does take alot to kill a guy.

i suffer the similar xperiences as george. playing the hard stand scenario-my forces; a panther vg; several full squads n even an arty barrage were trained on this particular american squad. after 3 rounds, the squad escaped with only 1 casualty. whereas, whenever a squad of mine was even briefly exposed to the americans, i'm sure 2 lose 1, or 2 units. :cool:

Geoff,

I've never played with the "Fog Of War" option turned off, but I think it will let you see the causalities you inflict from any range. Maybe you should play a game or two like this until you get the feel of what’s going on. And take it from me; this is the best most realistic war game on available today!

-Head

Also keep in mind that those three guys, "Larry, Curly and Moe," as I call em represent up to 13 men spread out over a piece of ground. Which means that when a tank or MGs are firing, your hapless victims are in fact ducking behind trees and rocks and folds in the ground. Not just kneeling or lying in the spot in which the boys currently are. This is by far the most realistic representation of troops in combat.

Thanks all.

I have a lot more time to put into the demo. Guess it's good since the full game is backordered currently. Wonder how long it will take to get from Maine to Nova Scotia. Not long I would think.

I actually think it's one of the great features of the game that it's a hard, slow process to kill infantry. If a single tank round always killed half a dug-in squad that would mean the game would be: 1)unrealistic; 2)excessively dominated by tanks or excessively easy for the attacker. Dug in infantry can be very hard to up-root--which is as it should be. I think that once you've played the game a bit more, you'll come to appreciate the ability of infantry to hang in there and fight.

Interesting also to see that the game is again backordered. I tried to order it in January and had to wait till mid-February to get it because it was backordered. Now it's backordered again. Must still be selling briskly!

[ 05-03-2001: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]