Computer Wargaming Magazines. Any good ones?

I am getting a bit weary of PC Gamer and the games they cover. Not much there for wargamers, even Trotter seems to be only a voice in the wilderness. I do think their ratings of games are near perfection, so I am hesitating to let my subscription run out because I dont know of anything better. What else is out there? :confused:

Personally, I think Trotter's a bit of a hack, though he's probably the most identifiable wargame reviewer out there. But being king of a 50 foot hill isn't much...

I lost a bit of respect for him when he started ragging on how SP II was unrealistic because his beautiful uber-M1s and A-10s weren't making huge dents in the oncoming Red Hordes (anyone remember Germany 1980?) when I beat that scenario using M60s, Sheridans and a few carefully placed infantrymen.

I'd recommend the General, or Command, but I haven't read either for nigh on ten years so YMMV.

Shouldn't this be in the General Forum, anyway?

Louie,

I feel the same. A while ago, one kind fellow on this very board suggested an online webpage which was a gigantic collection of wargaming magazines. You needed to pay a reasonable fee to get in. Similar to a regular magazine subscription.

I never signed up because I guess Im an old-fashioned type of guy who likes holding the magazine in my hands and reading the articles. Maybe it's just me. I'd find this page for you in a jiffy if the goddamned search function worked properly :mad:

Maybe the fellow who suggested it to me (I conveniantly forgot his name :rolleyes: ) will stop by and give the link himself.

Computer Games Online has fairly good write ups on wargames. They have better overall coverage of wargames than PC Gamer.

They've recently overhalled their web site, so there arn't too many of the older reviews up on the site. Hopefully they will put them back up in a few weeks.

www.cgonline.com

Louie,

uh? Why should I :

a) have criticised the Penguins

B) apologise to you for not having criticised them?

Far as I can see, the Penguins are that most common of posted message thing -- the Sekrit Kabal. Every board/group has them and complaining about them is always futile.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Dear Triumvir,

My aim was poor. I meant to put this on the General Forum....BUT

The Peng pile is on this forum. If you have criticized them I apologize to you. If you have not criticized them, you should apologize to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It amuses me that the yokels with the thinnest skins and biggest chips on their shoulders are the quickest to cop an attitude about the Peng Thread.

It must be Sense-of-Humor Envy, or something similar.

FYI, I believe Avalon Hill's "The General" magazine has been discontinued for a while now.

-dale

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dalem:

It amuses me that the yokels with the thinnest skins and biggest chips on their shoulders are the quickest to cop an attitude about the Peng Thread.-dale<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dalem, ye poor frrrustrated laddie, hais ainly din tha best he knoos. Af'n yoo wurra social equivalent o' a Picasso nude, ye'd nay do any better either.

Toady, (I hope Ah kin call ye Toady), ye can blame tha Peng Thraid fer at all laddie, as at's clear tae mae an' any thinkin' mon tha' tha wee thraid as entirely responsible fer yer conduct ain thus forum. A worrrrd fraim tha wise tae ye Jimmy, find a wee podgey laddie wi' a haim-made potato cannon, an' gi' haim a nickel tae put ye doon tha tube bum first an' fire ye at a brick wall fraim three feet awah. At widnae change tha fact tha ye posted ain tha wrong forum, but at wid gi'' tha Pengers' a laugh.

SirMacOberGruppenBloodyStompinSicFeuhrerbastardABCD