CM2 wishilist - Can we help the designing team ?

Part I

I have recently read a topic here with a link to an interview on Gamespy of Charles Moylan on CM2 features. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that most things on my wishlist (I always make wishlists for my favorite game sequels which I then email to the design team) were already planned to be implemented in CM2. In fact, there were some features that I haven't even thought about but actually found quite useful. An another thing also hit me. In all the interviews and reviews, it was mentioned how much the designing team takes into consideration the demands and wishes of the CM community - which was quite highly praised for its quality and quantity, both by reviewers and designers.

All this got me thinking. We have this board, which is really active and has the least amount of flamers I have seen on any game board. Serious thoughts, serious topics and serious tips are posted here every day. However, should the designing team of CM try to fish out considerations, suggestions or wishes for CM2 here they might find it quite hard since the volume of posts is staggering and there is not a standard section in the board for it.

Creating a "CM2 Wishlist Section" in this board would certainly be nice, but I don't think it would be really effective, since the amount of posts would be staggering, resulting in repetitiveness and lack of prioritisation of the "peoples' demands".

So, what I am suggesting is this. I am sure there are among us quite a few people with extensive HTML knowledge. Maybe some of them would be willing to design a web-based voting system for the new features we would like to see in CM2, and then host it in a CM site. Of course it would have to be quite an elaborate one. First, it should allow the option of posting a new feature for voting by anyone - that's the idea really, have people come forward with their unique suggestions. Second, instead of simply voting for a feature -YES, I want to see "arc of fire" in CM2 and YES, I would like the main menu interface remodelled in pink - there should be a prioritising system -YES, my priority for "arc of fire" is 10 (top priority) and YES, my priority for "pink main menu interface" is 1 (don't really care if you do it or not). I think this way the results would be quite more reliable.

I am not quite sure about the usefulness of such a voting system/place for the designing team of CM2. I know this sounds a bit far fetched, that is have a huge community of players tell the designing team what they would like and then have them do it. However, even if the design team never gets the time to use its results effectively (they certainly won't have the time to work on all suggestions), they might get one or two good ideas from it. What's more, I would really be interested in seeing the priorities other CM players have.

So it's all up to you HTML wizard guys out there. What do you think ?

Part II

And, to satisfy my vanity and for all of you to see, here is my personal CM2 wishlist (not prioritised). As I said, some of these features are already planned for CM2

1. Arcs of fire - have units target units only in the specified arc

2. Maximum range of fire - have units fire only when target is within a preset maximum range

3. Field of view - LOS is really useful, however a coloured overlay of the map with ALL the areas and units a unit has LOS to, would be really useful. Quite realistic too; people see in fields of view, not lines of sight (except when using optics)

4. Spotted by - have 'spotted by' lines pointed to an enemy unit by all the friendly units that can see it (something like the yellow 'targeted by enemy unit' lines)

5. Map notes - ability to mark the battlefield map with notes (something like the map landmarks, only that you would be able to place them during the game)

6. Order of battle - have a screen with all your units and status ("health", combat status, AMMO, etc)

7. Waypoints when moving multiple friendly units

8. Improved pathfinding when paths of two or more units collide - I know how though this can be and the CM pathfinding as a whole is already quite excellent, however, inserting a pause command when this happens instead of always reversing might be more useful

9. 1-9 hotkeys for units - I know, it sounds too RTS-like, however it would be nice to instantly select and lock view to your 155mm FO, wouldn't it ? Especially if you had him sneak and hide in some thick woods somewhere 5 rounds ago

10. Option to compile all the movie phases into one complete instant replay movie - especially useful if you want to show off to a friend how you crushed your other friend on that 1-month ongoing PBEM battle. Oh, of course, makes it easier to review your tactical mistakes too.

11. Option of having a vehicle help unbog another vehicle - your Panther G stuck in the mud? call 0801-YOUROTHERPANTHERG. Don't know how realistic that would be though in battle conditions.

There's more of course, but I haven't given them much thought yet.

There have been a ton of requests in the past on CMBB. I'm not sure I can think of anything that hasn't already been said, but here goes:

On the esthetic side:

1. less stereotyped movement from the soldiers. How about quick head turns, quicker but less regular arm movements, sprinkle a few soliders kneeling on the LEFT knee among the troops!

2. more funky building shapes. BTS said they already altered the building polygons for CMBB, but don't be conservative!

3. Several 'time-sensitive' skins per vehicle, so we can expect an early war grey Hummel and a late war camou Hummel for example.

4. supply a bmp art list up-front so us modders don't have to hunt and peck to find all the art. I swear here's still a couple Sherman bmps i haven't found!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demus:

Part

5. Map notes - ability to mark the battlefield map with notes (something like the map landmarks, only that you would be able to place them during the game)

6. Order of battle - have a screen with all your units and status ("health", combat status, AMMO, etc)

7. Waypoints when moving multiple friendly units

8. Improved pathfinding when paths of two or more units collide - I know how though this can be and the CM pathfinding as a whole is already quite excellent, however, inserting a pause command when this happens instead of always reversing might be more useful

9. 1-9 hotkeys for units - I know, it sounds too RTS-like, however it would be nice to instantly select and lock view to your 155mm FO, wouldn't it ? Especially if you had him sneak and hide in some thick woods somewhere 5 rounds ago

10. Option to compile all the movie phases into one complete instant replay movie - especially useful if you want to show off to a friend how you crushed your other friend on that 1-month ongoing PBEM battle. Oh, of course, makes it easier to review your tactical mistakes too.

11. Option of having a vehicle help unbog another vehicle - your Panther G stuck in the mud? call 0801-YOUROTHERPANTHERG. Don't know how realistic that would be though in battle conditions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like those Ideas. I large battle I spent more time looking for my units than telling them what to do. It'd be a really usefull feature of storing your units into groups (1-9) like that!

Plus adding your own notes on the map would aslo help greatly. Where you want to attack, where you last put a tank and so on!

Plus the movie feature, everyone is wanting that feature implemented, who doesn't. It'll be like watching the war fottage you see on the History Channel!

Can't wait!

Some of your requests have already been implemented in CM2. See the CM2 FAQ, Updating the CM2 FAQ, and the Old CM2 FAQ for details.

As for wishlists, the Winecape thread and Ideas for CM2 either contains info on or links to most requests. Putting all this into a page by itself and then keeping up with it would be waaaay too much work. And BTS is undoubtedly aware of most all of our requests as it is. They read the board and keep their own list of ideas that may be implemented. They call it "The List". Only a select few actually know what's on it. And they ain't talkin'.

- Chris

I hope for Russian units they include the famous Moscow Circus. Imagine the cool clown costume uniforms! And think of the scenarios: A single tiny car rushes towards the front line, and a full platoon of clown soldiers spills out. And the imagine the associated sounds!

I myself remain convinced, that what is need most is a pretty box cover. Maybe some movie star's face, jaw squarely set, eyes piercing the distance for enemy fire, grit, dirt, and blood stains on the face, with the obvious but subtle strains of war and exhaustion seeping through it all.

A pic of MadMatt replying to one of these posts would do, with some computer enhancement to fill in the background. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

I myself remain convinced, that what is need most is a pretty box cover. Maybe some movie star's face, jaw squarely set, eyes piercing the distance for enemy fire, grit, dirt, and blood stains on the face, with the obvious but subtle strains of war and exhaustion seeping through it all.

A pic of MadMatt replying to one of these posts would do, with some computer enhancement to fill in the background. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And maybe a computer generated head of hair?

Thanks for the offer but at this time is really doubtful that anyone will come up with something we haven't already thought of and even if they did there really isnt much time to start piling on new stuff. We are pretty much set on whats going in and whats not and there is really not much wiggle room.

As to the internship, um...No, thanks for the offer but we would just use you to haul wood and gas up Steve's weasel and you don't really want to do that...BELIEVE ME ON THAT ONE.

As to your resume and portfolio, well we are also not looking to farm out for any new artist at this time and if we were to, it would be with those that already have a proven track record with regards to in-game graphics and textures.

Thanks for the interest though.

Madmatt