Couldn't believe my own eyes

Today, in a pbem movie, I witnessed an American mortar team walk right by a Panzerfaust team of mine in scattered trees with no reaction whatsoever from any of the teams. They were so close they could have shaken hands, at least it looked that way. Yet the mortar team just walked past and onto the other side.

The Panzerfaust team was sighting towards an ambush marker and was under fire from a crew across a road.

I have a series of pictures to document it, but I can't post them. If anyone wants them, send me an email. The total is about 500K.

Is this sort of thing supposed to happen?

What should they have done? The faust team is holding this giant antitank weapon and heavy ammunition. They are watching the ambush point while trying not to get killed by incoming fire. The mortar team is lugging big heavy mortar parts and ammunition. Neither of them is really equipped to engage in hand-to-hand combat, and their training tells them never to abandon their equipment. They don't have orders to engage in hand to hand combat. So they ignore each other. Each of them concludes, correctly, that they can best do their duty by holding onto their equipment until it can be deployed effectively, instead of dropping their stuff and getting into a protracted pistol and knife fight. Sound right to me.

Well, I would think they would have avoided each other, if they could. What was your mortar team doing up there? smile.gif

But the odd situation aside, in 'real-life' each of those teams did have their personal weapons (rifles or carbines, plus grenades I would assume) and they could have shot it out. In CMBO they don't have anything but their primary weapons (a panzerschrek, or a mortar), neither of which is very useful for shooting enemy soldiers who are within a few meters of you. Personally, if it was my mortar team, I'd be happy that they didn't engage the 'shrek guys in hand-to-hand combat. smile.gif

I do think it would be nice if personal weapons for these teams could be modeled in a future version of CM, though. At least these teams wouldn't be quite as helpless.

[This message has been edited by Steve McClaire (edited 02-14-2001).]

Actually I think it speaks well of the AI that the AT team held its fire. This makes sense and is comparable to a trained sniper concealed with its ghillie suit waiting for just the right target to come by.

Now if the mortar team had close assualted the PF team and they just stood there to be knived to death then you have a point.

MikeT

It was my mortar team, and considering that, on the next turn, the shrek team opened fire on my Sherman that was zooming by, I wish the mortar team had smacked them with the mortar tube or something. wink.gif

Robert is in the process of teaching me the proper use of offboard artillery.

------------------

expert \'ek-,spert'\ n : someone who knows more and more about less and less until eventually they know everything about nothing

I am reading "The Crucible of War: El Alamein 1942" by Barrie Pitt. He describes in the book about how German and British units would pass each other in the night well within firing distance and they did not fire at each other. These were tanks and infantry so they were plenty capable of inflicting casualties. They didn't fire because of (a) it was not their assigned mission, (B) too battle weary, and © not every soldier wants to be a hero some actually want to live and see their friends and family!

Doug,

I see that you are finally admitting to the actual state of affairs biggrin.gif

As for the artillery, it's only 75mm and 81mm, and I'm somewhat surprised to see how effective it can be. And I would like to credit Jason Cawley for inspiration regarding how to use it effectively.

And, btw, you do have a hard task attacking uphill over open terrain that most of my units can see.

I have heard first hand reports of soldiers at the front not engaging, though well withing engagement distance. The truth was that on some days they aren't shooting at you so you don't shoot at them and everyone lives one more day.

------------------

The New CessPool

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Croda, you rock! - Meeks