New "War Room" Terrain Mod

Leave the battlefield and enter... The War Room!!

Are you less interested in photo-realism than terrain assessment at higher views? Do you wish you could see every nook, cranny, dip, and rise on the map from view 4? Do you wish scattered trees and woods were instantly discernable from each other and the grass? Are the British bases hard for you to see (red/green color blind?) Do you detest running into unforseen slopes? If so, you might like my new "War Room" mod. It is a crystal clear, somewhat abstract, representation of the battlefield. Picture a futuristic 3D map lit from below. The mod is a little on the bright side so you might want to play with the Gamma adjustment Charles so thoughtfully provided (alt-G). It's no brighter than the Tremblett mods however.

Features:

Includes all grass, all treebases, all wheat, brush, and marsh.

Bold 20 meter grid on ALL included terrain

High contrast elevation colors

Super-low resolution for fast scrolling and ordering

The brush and marsh are DD's with grid.

The wheat is Kump's with grid.

I suggest applying Tremblett rough

The grass is all mine and it isn't grass! It's... it's....well, informative.

The mod was done on a PC using the standard Paint program. I would post a screenshot but I don't even know how to take one let alone post one. I'll work on it later tonight. I also need to put together all the files into a nice package tonight if I see any interest. Everything is so low-res that the entire package won't be much more than a large PBEM file I'll bet. Post here if you're interested and I'll send the stuff to ya LATE tonight. Back up your files!! This mod definitely isn't for everyone. In fact, I may be the only one who can stand it. I love it actually.

Treeburst155

Let me see if I could get it before lunch time so I can test it by then.

Griffin.

Originally posted by Lorak:

After one of you Recieve the Mod and have it running...

Could one of you post a screen shot of it?

Lorak

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

For anyone who wants to know what it looks like, here is one:

Oh, please note that it is a "4" view in a foggy weather:

http://home.netvigator.com/~griffinc/images/WarRoom.jpg

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 02-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Stock CM grass textures are 256x256. None of my BMPs are more than 128x128. I'm talking low-res here.

Your textures are very hi-res compared to my Fastmods kit (soon available at my upcoming CM site), what's 128x128(x24) compared to 1x1(x1) for grass/snow and 32x32(x4) for overlays, the numbers in parenthesis being colour depth.

The grid-net do offer some enhanced contour details though... smile.gif

Cheers

Olle

First impressions:

After playing 5 pbem games (homework) tonight using this mod, and yes the link is one of my homework. Sorry Mr. Adams, I am afraid I did not leak any of my own military intelligence here. smile.gif

I can say it is refereshing since it is undoubtlessly make the terrian very easy to decipher for me.

The color is very sharp and "shiny". It makes you feel like your tanks and troops are dancing on a toilet tiles, espiecally when you turn off all the trees. biggrin.gif Not negative comment here.

Recommended if you want a "change". If somebody could make a matching "sky bitmap" it would be wonderful.

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Relatively open maps give me the impression that my troops are fighting on stained glass, but everything is very clear once you get acclimated. I think the mod looks best on maps with light/moderate trees, and modest hills. BTW, there are no seasonal changes to the treebases or wheat. I get confused when things change colors all the time. :) I designed the mod to be used without trees. I only use trees to decipher woods from tall pines and occasionally to check for possible LOS from a point. I often wish that tall pines and woods did not share the same treebase as woods spotting distance is much greater than tall pines in the winter.

Olle,

I found that the grid is too bold and doesn't look nearly as nice at 32x32 pixels. 64x64 is workable, but still not as nice. I figured if I'm going to stare at a heavy grid then I want it to look nice. I'm looking forward to your ultra lowres quick mods. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Griffin,

Thanks for posting the screeny. Can you put one up without fog?

Treeburst155

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I'm looking forward to your ultra lowres quick mods. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Check out this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/016014.html

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.