PBEM helper programs.

I first tried OneClick and it worked fine except that it couldn't handle zips (at least, not to my knowledge.)

Then someone told me to try PBEM helper but when I tried that out, it froze on me twice in a row so I went back to OneClick. If the author of OneClick would include an option to unzip files automatically along with a wordwrap feature for the text, I'd be a happy man.

Not anymore Colonel!

Have a look here Abbot.

PBEM Helper (by Fuerte, latest version 1.0.135) has cleaned the one "frozen" bug. (that was introduced due to a spiffy new feature called file sequence numbering that works quite well now in CMBO)

PBEM Helper can be found here - 2,4MB in size and only works in Windows format, no Macintosh

I am using it against 19 opponents at the moment, and must say that without it life would be hell!

Sincerely

Charl Theron

PS: my opponents now love this utility after I recommend it before the start of each pbem game!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I first tried OneClick and it worked fine except that it couldn't handle zips (at least, not to my knowledge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OneClick zips and unzips files automagically, and you can set a limit on how small files should be zipped. It works great for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phillies Phan:

Does my opponent also have to use it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. You can send also zip files or plain txt. When receiving files, PBEM can still help you putting these into right folder, if you use the additional working folder feature (C:\My Documents\PBEM). And PBEM helper keeps track whether you should send the files or play the turn, it compares the file dates to the sending timestamp.

But to get the full benefit, both players should use it. Then you can use the PBEM.PBM file format (actually a zip file). The idea is that you can open the attachment directly in e-mail program, and it will launch the PBEM helper, which will extract the game files automatically into correct folder.

Testing today, but trying to figure out if this is the program with the one step start to the game. When I start a game from the window, it starts CMBO, but goes no farther, should it? I entered password.

Still good program.

Speedbump

Speedbump, make sure you have the CM intro movie disabled (start CM while holding the left shift should disable it).

Also, it only supports certain resolutions, so you might be using an unsupported resolution.

-K