Stalingrad - The last Soviet WWII movie (1989)

I just finished watching the last movie made by Soviet Union about WWII.

Originally it was suppose to be 15 hours long but they were running out of cash and Soviet union so movie is only 3.5 hours long.

Equipment: BT-7s, about 20 T-34-85s, 76mm AT guns, and tons of other - I mean lots of it... German equipment was represented by 3 half-trucks and about a dozen of T-50 "converted" to Pz-IV. You could definitly recognize it was supposed to be P-IV so it was reasonably well done! Airplanes were mainly Czech "post-messershmitt" conversions...

Lots of buildings were blown up - at least 2 dozen. Scenary was well made. Fighting was bloody most soviet heros died by the movie end. There were some massive attack scenes. They might not have been as vivid as SPR but they were huge!

Czujkov was played by US actor - same one who played Roman general in "Attilla". I don't know his name.

There were lots of subplots like death of son of Chrushchev at Stalingrad, Pavlov's house, Red-Capella spy ring, 1942 Soviet attack at Harkov etc...

Lots of subplots were obviously cut short like Soviet snipers, Pavlov etc...

KGB troops were present and executing.

They even mentioned luck of rifles in the summer of 1942!

Stalin was shown quite negativly and so was Churchill, Timoshenko and many other commanders. The real hero was Chujkov. Zhukov was barely mentioned.

Women were represented rather poorly. Group of them was sitting in uniforms and wondering when a war will end so they can finally find a husband. After that they were sleeping in the shadow of 85mm AAs or bathing naked. They were complaining about shoes - they got only huge size military boots so they were wearing high heels while firing from 85mm AA guns at Pz-IVs. They slowed down german attack and most of them perished. Soon after the tanks from Tank factory pushed the germans back...

The movie in in Russian, (Germans speak german and Churchill english). If you want it I think I can find out where you can purchase it...

Interesting topic...here is another Soviet Movie I found with a write-up on Block-Buster Videos

Osvobozhdeniye

http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,4241,VID-V+++170934,00.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This five-part war epic, a kind of Soviet response to The Longest Day, was seen by millions of people in the former U.S.S.R. and the Eastern Bloc. Later it was shown every 9th of May on Soviet TV as part of the official celebrations for (World War II) Victory Day. The epic covers all major victories of the Soviet Army in WWII, including the Stalingrad Battle and the Battle of Berlin, the assault on the Reichstag, and erecting the Red Banner over its ruins. This film has huge battle scenes, with thousands of extras, and was extremely expensive to shoot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately this movie also does not appear to be available in the USA. Any folks out there have any thoughts as to possible outlets for these Soviet movies?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Duquette:

Both the URL's you provided indicate:

Current Title Not Available For Purchase

Current Title Not Available For Rent<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right!

One guy at work knows a website which sell this movie - I will let you know tommorow

Interestingly, a recent copy of Air International magazine which is published in the UK has an advertisement for a video entitled "The Battle for Stalingrad" - but it is not listed on their web page.

The blurb from the magazine states:

"Stalingrad was one of the most brutal battles of the Second World War. It is also one of the most crucial as it was Hitlers first defeat and, from then on, Germany never won another battle.

In 1949 Stalin personally decided to make a vast epic drama documentary celebrating the Soviet Union's great victory at Stalingrad. This film has rarely been seen outside of Russia and is now release on video struck from a new print. A brief documentary explains the importance of the film and, as an added bouse, there is a full length documentary about General Paulus, the ill-fated commander of the German forces at Stalingrad. An important film made available for the first time.

16.99BP 172 mins, Colour."

Could this be the same thing?

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Brian ]