Not a Flame War! Do you play on a Mac or PC?

Guest Ace

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I knew it would end up going this way. Looks like a Mac attack. The votes are all messed up now to boot. (Get it, to boot, hehe). This is going all the way to the supreme rulers for sure. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Mac, though I have to admit that for nothing but games, I'd take a PC. Macs are much nicer for making mods and other graphical stuff though. I've tried both platforms.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

I apologize in advance.

Forget it, Mac guys. I've been through the whole gamut. Commodore 64. Amiga. Atari. Apple II. Blah, blah.

When I had my C-64, games played on the PC paled in comparison. My sound was better, my graphics were better. What happened? Commmodore died. PC won.

When I had my Amiga, games played on the PC paled in comparison. My sound was better, my graphics were better. What happened? Commodore died. PC won.

Atari died. PC won.

Now, how Apple has managed to hang on this long is a miracle. Yes, your hardware/software is better, easier to use, etc. etc. So was the C-64, so was the Amiga. Did it matter? No.

The PC is the standard. It is cheaper. Easier to modify. We can buy components from anywhere and (eventually) get them to work. Mac is a niche market. Always has been, always will be. Think of the PC as the Borg. No way to stop it. We have Intel. We have Bill Gates. We have Linux. I have submitted. There is no use to fight it. Resistance is futile.

Again, I'm sorry. I wish Commodore had won the fight. Then we would all be playing CM on our Amiga 20000. Too bad. The sun will rise in the morning, and the PC will too.

-Doug

------------------

expert \'ek-,spert'\ n : someone who knows more and more about less and less until eventually they know everything about nothing

[This message has been edited by Doug Williams (edited 02-27-2001).]

Ah, the fallacy of false impressions. Kwazydog nicely urged that it not turn into a flame war, but no one actually agreed to his request, though initially it was honored. I think it broke down when the Macazoids started cheating on the vote counts. biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 02-27-2001).]

If only we could see OS X on non apple hardware. . . . .

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Mac G3 at home, Powerbook G3 anywhere else, and incoming Powerbook Titanium G4.

Sorry, do not take what follows as flamewar. Just some facts, for the leisure of relating them.

Read last week on PC week: "The battle of OS: Microsoft engineers on panic: they are up again at catchup with Apple" (PS: PC magazine)

Apple is not going to die. Innovations come from these people. If you will be able on PCs to even burn CDs and DVDs directly on your driver and see/listen to them with any commercial CD/DVD reader in a year or two (OK, already available on Macs) is because of Apple.

Digital imaging revolution? From Apple. Do you think a giant like Microsoft ever needs to invent anything to keep going? Its share of market makes him totally unaware of comsumer needs. He just follows what other have to invent/innovate to maintain their smaller share of the market: Even Windows OS was not invented by Microsoft.

Sure, Apple is a niche but it is a solid niche and people buy Macs for professional reasons not because there are more games available for it. IF Apple was dead PCs (borg, closes) would still be at the stage they were in 1980s: no need to improve, no real competition, why bother.

I have been (am) on both world: Intel (clones, borgs, whatever boxes), and still have colleagues around using either PC or Macs. Do you know how many times PCs have to reboot? Dayly. Macs? hardly noticed.

Again, no war flames here: PC can be nice machines but then they are not cheaper, at least not the crap ones: configure them EXACTCLY as a high end Mac and they cost the same, sometimes even more. Get the best Mac configuration and most PC clones can't even allow you to fully reproduce it. Here goes them being cheaper.

Why computer graphics professional are >90% on Mac? Toy Story 1 & 2, Star Wars, Phantom Menace, GMI, and other hollywood special effect companies: why are they not on PCs since they are supposedly cheaper?

Because tose people do not care about games or availability of thousands of useless software (from surveys more than 98% of most used (professional) software does exist on Mac too) and go for the facts. Tell any computer graphic professional to switch to a PC: he will change job instead.

Linux? owned by PCs or Microsoft? Gates secretly (not really so) hates Linux and Linux runs perfectly on Macs. Try that and you have a perfectly stable machine.

Apple OS X? it is BSD Unix V Kernel: now, if that is so important to you, I would not count the number of applications that run on Unix that will be compilable and linkable on a Mac platform. I would need a computer ;)

Again: what is the need to know that there are thousands of crappy applications available on your PC if you will never dream (nightmare) of buying them? Nonsense.

Any game would run wonderfully on both platforms and be perfectly crossplatform too.

How? Suffice to it not use proprietary Windows OS tricks to run or go online. Remember the monopoly trial? Why X-Plane (which uses OpenGl) is perfeclty available on both platforms (same time releases and versions) and have no cross platforms problems? Because it is not needed to be that way!

Know the difference between X-Plane simulation and Fligh Sim 2000? If you do you would regret if you had bought FS 2000.

How to really now cut it short. Simply: never bash on any machine, each fits perfectly its own customer. Macs simply have higher thresholds that leave some customers unhappy and viceversa.

Finally, sorry for the blah blah, it is not the place for doing it but after all this writing what can I do if not posting it the same? ;)

As pay-off I will accept any unbalanced CM scenario taking the weaker side for your pleasure to make me pay for these words ;)

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

PC-24

Mac-23

Picking up the tally from the second page, I've got:

PC - 31

Mac - 30

For those using two of the same platform, I only counted once... There was one case of each anyway.

Quite a bit closer than I expected eek.gif

Originally posted by Canuck:

I think the totals are screwed up again. Two times PC users voted at the same time both saying eg.PC 11

Mac 9

So then the next guy went on to say PC 12 Mac 9 when it should have been PC 13 Mac 9

RECOUNT!!

What do you expect when we're using the Florida counting machines biggrin.gif

Seahawk sneaked in there while I was counting, so it's now

PC -31

Mac 31

tongue.gif

My system is an iMac, 400 MHz, 128MB RAM, Rage128 video card, and a hard drive full of mods biggrin.gif

Hehe, well in truth, and with all of my sparkling charm aside. I am the first to admit that there is no better platform for graphics development than a Mac. smile.gif

------------------