Is the Combat Mission AI dumb? and more gripes

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

I so rarely agree with Goatsucker that I have to chime in here and say that yes, indeed, you do suck. And your mother wears army boots. So there.<hr></blockquote>Well of COURSE he sucks, he's a Goatsucker isn't he? Look at you, you're a Hakko Ichiu and you sneeze a lot. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do ... not sure where the army boots come in though.

Joe

I think the tactical and strategic AI in Combat Mission is very good. Better than any other game out there. I am not referring to the "enemy mind" AI here, but just the part that deals with the actions of your units, and your adversary's units during the move file, (tac does the movie file decisions, strat does a good portion of the enemy waypoint decisions)

The part of the AI that seems to have difficulty putting up a good fight is the Operational AI. There are things that it is not able to calculate, and I don't see how you could program ANY software to effectively calculate. Its like a monkey with its hand grasped on the ball inside a vase.

Objective: Get Ball

Problem: Can't! Hand is stuck! Ahhggghh!!!

Solution: Let's rush our mortar crews to make up for it!!

1)The Operational AI wants that VL. It wants it bad, and is willing to do anything to get it, as soon as non-humanly possible. The thing is, you know this. You can play possum, get them to charge up, and then spring a nasty ambush on units who don't know that they need to destroy you before they can effectively control VL's.

2)The AI doesn't know that you havent used your arty up yet? Why should it? To try to program the AI to consider that it hasnt been shelled with 250 points worth of arty in a 1250 point ME against you is to try and program it to be a CM Player, not a strategic simulator.

3)It also doesnt appear to remember from turn to turn where your MG, or Bazooka, or AT teams went, if they lose sight of them. This goes back to #1. Why should it hunt you down if you are not immediately inhibiting it from its digital desires?

4) The AI is not patient. You have this information available to you. You know that if you reverse out of an armor duel into a defilade position, the AI will send units forward, and into the bottleneck where you are waiting for them.

5) No smokescreens before an assault, Little efforts at suppression whilst or before making their assault.

6) It has a Main Effort, but has no concept of YOUR Main Effort.

With all this being said, I love the AI dearly. It can be a brutal teacher when it is defending, and even sometimeas a comical victor when attacking you with the right odds. I can't imagine how one would effectively code items 1-6 into a game with this many tactical options, and situations. All in all this game has shown for years now that it can stand up to close scrutiny, and often suprise you.

Its always a treasure to play someone that has been exclusively re-educated by the AI as an opponent for a couple of weeks. "But the AI didnt to that to me.....sigh..." Their TRON-world population takes a major hit, whilst mine are celebrating.

I like saying whilst. Whilst, whilst, whilst.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: *Captain Foobar* ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stoffel:

Hi Redwolf do you play Tacops too?

maybe you have the time to play a small pbem someday?<hr></blockquote>

No helicopters and we are all set :)

I'd like blue force and am open for scenario suggestions mailed to redwolf@cons.org. First-time Tacops against human, so expect slight screwups.

Another good way to get more out of the AI is to defend against crack troops with conscripts. The AI still can't reason out things like being patient and suppression for an attack, but in many ways it doesn't have to, because your troops aren't any better. The first time I played conscripts vs crack AI, I got beat badly while defending. It took a few tries before I figured out that I couldn't hold a main line of resistance, I had to deploy troops forward with a second line to hold the line once the forward units had been routed.

Ambushes got sprung too early, guns missed easy shots when they were most needed, panzershrecks were useless, and troops always ran away instead of holding on and dying in their foxholes. Counterattacks were totally ineffective because of the long delay and tendancy to turn around while crossing open ground under fire.

i find ai in general bland. this is not a gripe mind you. the ai in this game is much better then others, it's just i enjoy the inconsistancies and unpredictability of humans. sometimes they do what you think they will, sometimes they will surprise you. i also like to chat while i play to, the ai doesnt make much for conversation :cool:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>why dont you join the newbie tournament?

if you do,please post AAR's of the battles you are going to fight

Than we all have something to laugh about

Allthough I think you are just a big mouth like we had them before ,like a certain Jochem P and others but you can always prove yourself and join the tourney!

But my other part says you are to scared to do that because you are afraid to get slaugthered by a freakin newbie,and your tiny little airbubble you live in rightnow might blow up

so be a man and show that you are not afraid or else keep the big mouth shut or post something usefull , please

oh did I said please?? <hr></blockquote>

Wow! I never thought I'd live the day to see Stoffel snap at someone!

Get 'im Henk! :D

Gyrene