BTS- Immediate Revenue Opportunity

Originally posted by CavScout:

It is the correct attitude when someone jumps and claims you are wrong by claiming it is "their job" to do it. It either means they don't know their own job or that they are slinging B.S. on the forum. Either is unacceptable in my view. JMHO.

Granted. You provided an accurate answer, and I appreciate the reference you supplied with your answer, it was a nice touch.

If someone is spouting BS and saying you are wrong - consider the source and consider the venue. We can't take away your next promotion by sullying your name. But you can sully your own name quite easily by barking at people, even if they are slinging BS.

The difference between slinging BS and simply talking in an uninformed manner in open forum, however, is a large one, and hard to prove conclusively. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. If I find someone to be in error, I find a kindly worded post that shows respect for the recipient goes a long way to stimulating further discussion - and in many cases even generating a word of thanks. Often I find myself learning things in such a situation from the feedback that approach generates.

Not to attack you directly, but your gruff approach practically guarantees that further useful discussion will be prohibited. Which is not why we come here.

Didn't mean to preach...well, maybe I did just a little. biggrin.gif

"I'd respond but then I'd have to hear you whine about it on the news group..."

Hehe, where is your PROOF? Can you PROVE beyond a resonable doubt that I would "whine" on a newsgroup. I'm sorry, but you should back your statements with more tangible facts to make an assertion such as that.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If someone is spouting BS and saying you are wrong - consider the source and consider the venue. We can't take away your next promotion by sullying your name. But you can sully your own name quite easily by barking at people, even if they are slinging BS.

The difference between slinging BS and simply talking in an uninformed manner in open forum, however, is a large one, and hard to prove conclusively. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. If I find someone to be in error, I find a kindly worded post that shows respect for the recipient goes a long way to stimulating further discussion - and in many cases even generating a word of thanks. Often I find myself learning things in such a situation from the feedback that approach generates.

I generally agree. There is a difference between, for example, Steve P's post where it is simply a mix-up between terms (copyright and trademark) and an assertion by Pvt. Ryan that he is right because he has this job or that job. Anybody, and I suspect many do, can claim something because they are on the 'net but you need to make it believable.

Originally posted by WolfLord:

"I'd respond but then I'd have to hear you whine about it on the news group..."

Hehe, where is your PROOF? Can you PROVE beyond a resonable doubt that I would "whine" on a newsgroup. I'm sorry, but you should back your statements with more tangible facts to make an assertion such as that.

LOL... a simple search on Deja using your name and in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical would provide those "tangible facts". biggrin.gif

Cav

-----------

"I was just being an asshole, i.e. posting before thinking after getting a bit pissed. Ignore it, it's cleared up now..."-WolfLord comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical

Titles are used again, but that doesn't make it legal. One usually has to get permission to use a previously used title. There are lawsuits over this all the time and there is insurance specifically for it. If NBC came out with a show called "Millionaire," you can bet Disney would sue NBC to get them to change the title, even if the show is different.

You can not copyright a title. if this is your assertion, please show us something to back it up. The United States Copyright site says you can not. You claim your jobs say you can. You'll excuse me if I go with the US gov site.

If you want to change the tune to trademarks, then fine. If not, please back up your assertion.

Cav

------------------

"Maneuverists have a bad case of what may be called, to borrow from a sister social science, "'Wehrmact penis envy.'"--D. Bolger

Co-Chairman of the CM Jihad Brigade

Founder of the CMers who like playing the Allies Club

[This message has been edited by CavScout (edited 01-31-2001).]