Will CMBO Become Obsolete Upon The Arrival Of CM2?

Well, I can say that my department at the federal government tried Windows 2000, and it ran great, BUT it did have some weirdo driver problems. In fact, our little corner of Justice is moving to OS-X in September and dumping our NT machines because we cannot afford the number of techs it takes to keep them going. We looked at XP, but the software that kills MP3 functioning, its "pay each year" architecture" and so forth really put some people off, but it is suppose to be the gamers version of 2000 just around the corner..

One of the reasons that even high speed processors can have redraw problems is limiting factors in the system, both limitations in the PC architecture caused by maximising the clock speed at the expense of work load. Limiting factors just says when you buy a PC box, you never know what got stuck inside. The box could have a slower mother board design (no matter what the memory speed), it can have a cheaper Western Digital hard drive, lots of things can be potential stopping points. And since manufacturers often build from bins in which 3 or 4 different makes of parts are all used in the same model, one computer on the line can have 0 problems, and the next can have lots.

I should also say that IDE hard drives replacing SCSI in higher end machines helped cause some problems. I use all IDE even for video editing because it is dirt cheap, but IDE is cheap because it dumps some of the disk IO functions to the main processor of the computer. Anything that needs to read and write to disk can bog the processor if it is happening when other processor intensive tasks are going on. SCSI was totally different in that most IO tasks were completely controlled by the hardware controller, making the disks more expensive but less tough on the processor.

The processor issue is just part of the problem with having to sell computers to consumers. Intel and others discovered that people bought processors not on raw power (how much work it can do) but on clock speed. So the whole 86 architecture gang several years back put their money into designing very short data pipelines that cycled very fast. This turned out to be pretty smart for them, since people do buy based on clock speed, but if you look at the various benchmarks for checking processor power, you may be surprised to find that a P3 is faster than a P4 at slower clock speeds. Power was given up in exchange for those clock speeds by reducing the pipe.

That said, I am with you, I would not buy the game if it would not run on my computer. Of course, I am waiting for the trial download before I even think about buy or no buy. Right now I will buy it if my machine is anywhere close to being able to play it. If all my machine needs is a new video card or a special boot setting that dumps all nonessential system extensions to run, I am there.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good economics!

When CMBB arrives, CMBO should be rewritten. Well not exactly. Actually, the CMBB framework should have all of the CMBO units plugged into it and new western front scenarios should be created. You end up with a refreshed CMBO for a fraction of the cost.

If they didn't make the new engine modular enough to allow this, shame on them! tongue.gif

I think AlanCE wins the Lurker Award hands down. Alan, CM2 is based on the same engine as CMBO. BTS will start working on the new engine after CM2 (CMB2B). The new engine is commonly referred to as CMII, which can get confusing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I think AlanCE wins the Lurker Award hands down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5 posts in 2 years 3 months. This must be a subject he cares about deeply ;)

Oddly, I did a search on his member number and this was the only thread that came up. Spooky.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]