Scenario ideas for CMBB?

Besides Prokhorovka anybody got an action they'd just love to play out in CMBB? Also, there was a book out some time ago, maybe printed by the army, that was about 'small unit actions in Russia'. Sort of a tactical primer. Anybody know the exact name of that book or how it might be acquired?

Believe it or not, there are a few out there all ready to convert old SL scenarios into CMBB. Hill 621, Hube's Pocket, all the original COI and SL ones should be good.

As for "real life" fighting - the Red October plant would be fun to play an operation through (inspiration again comes from ASL).

Some of the fighting in the Memel Bridgehead would be interesting; when GD was a shell of its former self and fighting for its life, buying time for others to be evacuated (and take their chances on the water).

Any action early in the war where German infantry before the advent of Panzerfausts etc. have to take on T-34s. Be nice to see the ubertank syndrome in reverse.

And of course, someone will have a scenario featuring the fight around Hitler's bunker...sewers should be able to double for subways.

How about Martin Bormann's escape?

Bormann's escape, or failure to, would be a good one. Plus the Mohnke bridge. And the single KV-I that got onto the road behind Mansteins point. There are some I don't think CM can do. Like Pavlovs house. One building wouldn't last twenty minutes.

The book you asked for is called "Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia" compiled by the Department of the Army. There is no ISBN and I am not even sure now where I got it, but it's Army Pamphlet #20-269. A great book with lots of stuff perfect for CMBB and a good insight into how each side fought, maps are included but they are pretty basic. Not sure how well the situations depicted would translate into a game but always worth a try. smile.gif

Ron

RCHRD,

I believe you can purchase that book from the US Government Printing office. If I remember right it is not expensive but they dont give you much information on what exactly is in the book. The US Government Online Bookstore link was not working so I couldnt look up the book - here is a link to the GPO home page http://www.access.gpo.gov/

Hope this helps.

Heres some sites I found that might be of interest to scenario designers:

stalingrad

kursk

Excellent site on the 4th armored divisions action at Singling (western front)

more small unit actions on the western front

Operations of Encircled Forces - German Experiences in Russia

OOB's of all nations in WWII

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: George-III ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by George-III:

Heres some sites I found that might be of interest to scenario designers:

stalingrad

kursk

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: George-III ]<hr></blockquote>

Very interesting site on Kursk - especially the colour photographs. Lovely looking farming land - very green and fertile.

But would anyone seriously want to play a Prokhorovka scenario - or have the time? Just imagine: 'Now to hunt that Tank Regiment up to the crest line and hope they can pick up some nice hull-down positions'. No, too much...

The October 1941 battles near Mtsensk between 4th Panzer Division and the units under the command of M.E. Katukov would most likely make a few good CMBB operations; there's a fair variety of troops there and the fighting was pretty intense. Essentially a mobile defense with T-34s, KV-1s and BTs supported by (among other things) a Soviet paratrooper brigade holding the road to Tula against a Panzer Division, it was fierce enough to be mentioned by Guderian in his memoirs. I'm really looking forward to a chance to try to throw together a local engagement from this battle in CM.

Actually, there are numerous engagements in the 1941-1942 period that will be great fun to try in Combat Mission; I look forward to seeing how this time period plays out.

Scott B.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Believe it or not, there are a few out there all ready to convert old SL scenarios into CMBB. Hill 621, Hube's Pocket, all the original COI and SL ones should be good.

As for "real life" fighting - the Red October plant would be fun to play an operation through (inspiration again comes from ASL).

<hr></blockquote>

I agree, as long as the scenario designer goes back to the original sources. We don't need another map that looks like the board 2 village. :rolleyes:;)

I'm especially looking forward to some of the fighting in Berlin itself. So, BTS, will there be a special "Reichstag" tile(s)? Brandenburg Gate? FlaK towers? Or should we leave it to the modders? ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by George-III:

RCHRD,

The US Government Online Bookstore link was not working so I couldnt look up the book - here is a link to the GPO home page http://www.access.gpo.gov/

Hope this helps.<hr></blockquote>

Well, I didn't find the book "Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia" but there were some interesting works available after I entered the title into the search field.

Some of the more interesting looking titles:

"Terrain factors in the Russian campaign"

"Combat in Russian Forests and Swamps"

" Military Improvisations During the Russian Campaign"

"Effects of Climate on Combat in European Russia"

Check them out, they look like a good read!

"

Just a footnote to the pamphlets:

1) They are avaliable from the GPO, last time I checked.

2) Several of the more general ones were re-compiled into a paperback called "Fighting in Hell: The German Experience on the Eastern Front" which is widely avaliable at Barnes & Noble and such.

WWB

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: wwb_99 ]</p>