Higher Point Value Games

Chose "Infantry" in the setup screen.

Then there's no problem purchasing a full Crack American infantry battalion at 5000 pts, and still have points left for additional artillery and support, if you want to.

(With Green troops you can have two battalions, with Elite troops you'll need about 5500 pts to squeeze in all support units.)

Later addon:

If you want a more accurate troop pick, then try Mechanised 5000 pts, with one regular battalion and all vehicle points spent on trucks and jeeps (a few with MGs). I haven't tried if it's possible though...

Another addon:

... I tried it last night, and found out that there weren't that many trucks in the infantry. It seems like US didn't use motorised infantry?

Anyway, I went on to do an armoured infantry battalion. Here problems occured. To transport the entire battalion it takes 69 halftracks, but 2000pts of vehicles can't buy you more than 59 Conscript halftracks...

And you don't have the point allocation for Armor needed to get the M8 HMCs. frown.gif

Anyway, the current 5000 point limit is more than sufficient for the scope of CM.

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 11-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 11-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

... I can only buy like 8 or 9 Elite King Tigers. I want to buy like 25 of them ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No sweat! smile.gif

You pay for a couple, and get the rest of the battalion for free! (The ones not running, that is. wink.gif Having 10 running KTs in one place seems very ahistorical...)

Cheers

Olle

Olle,

I like the fact that the QB generator scales the map size to the number of points selected. The maps with 5000 point battles are rather large, and it is sometimes difficult to track all the different skirmishes that are going on simultaneously all over the map. However, I would like to have the ability to play larger battles. Up to how many points? I really don't know. But my PC has the horsepower to run larger battles, and I would like the opportunity to play those maps.

------------------

CrapGame

Buying CM for yourself is like giving lingerie to your significant other. It's the gift that keeps on giving back!

Well, I'm currently involved (or soon will be) in 2 large 7500 point meeting engagements. I'm still deploying my forces and let me tell you, with 7500 points to spread out that's alot of deploying.

We had 109 Gustav make us a map to our dimensions, we forwarded our force selection to him and he bought for us. We're playing capture the flag (one flag in each setup zone). We do the rest.

In the other, I went and got Col. Klotz KG Pieper-Geimens (sp?) map, put some flags and setup zones on it, then me and another guy chose 7500 points worth of stuff. If the allies purchase their stuff first, there's no danger in your opponent seeing what you bought (unless he cheats, in which case you probably ought to do what we did in the previous paragraph). Once you buy the stuff, tournament lock the map, then setup your forces during the setup phase.

But again, 7500 points worth of stuff is a LOT of stuff. We may never finish. smile.gif

Hi, Judaris. How's the battle going? Send me a movie file or two sometime, I'm curious to know what's happening.

If anyone wants the map, I'll be happy to send it to them. It's a meeting engagement, but each side has a flag on their side, rather than having two flags in the middle.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

You pay for a couple, and get the rest of the battalion for free! (The ones not running, that is. wink.gif Having 10 running KTs in one place seems very ahistorical...)

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BAH I need to get 15 Tiger II's to simulate s.H.Pz.Abt 506's 3rd Co's employment with the 9th SS Pz Div's, Kampfgruppe Spindler south east of Oosterbeek during Market Garden biggrin.gif........

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 11-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

BAH I need to get 15 Tiger II's to simulate s.H.Pz.Abt 506's 3rd Co's employment ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, but unfortunately CM doesn't model vehicles that are broken down at the start of a battle. Going by the general numbers, the common combat availability of PzKw VI was about 1/3 (i.e. only one out of three running at any given moment). So these 15 KTs would be correctly represented by 4-6 in running condition. smile.gif

Cheers

Olle

Yes, but unfortunately CM doesn't model vehicles that are broken down at the start of a battle. Going by the general numbers, the common combat availability of PzKw VI was about 1/3 (i.e. only one out of three running at any given moment). So these 15 KTs would be correctly represented by 4-6 in running condition. smile.gif

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL Olle, actualy all 15 were running smile.gif. Operational Tiger II number's fluxuated their realy is no benchmark to go by as it requires checking individual Tiger Abt strength returns for the time period you want to use them Ie, I can show the numbers of operational Tiger II's in the West were higher then Panthers & only slightly lower then operational PzKpfw IVs or I can show the Panther had a higher operational % as well on another day wink.gif.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

I second the request to patch and expand QB possibilities. I have mentioned this before, but if we have a computer with the memory to create more units/equip or larger maps (my own interest), why not let us do so? The maximum map size is arbitrary (as is the maximum point value) so why not increase it if some of us want a larger battle? I'm still waiting for an argument why NOT to patch the game this way.

Steve

Originally posted by jshandorf:

... I can only buy like 8 or 9 Elite King Tigers. I want to buy like 25 of them ...No sweat! smile.gif

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OKay.. did any but Olle get that I was being sarcastic??

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

OKay.. did any but Olle get that I was being sarcastic??

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got it Jeff wink.gif couldn't resist bombing Olle with the 15 Tiger II post though biggrin.gif........

Regards, John Waters

------------------

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 11-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I like the fact that the QB generator scales the map size to the number of points selected. The maps with 5000 point battles are rather large<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever noticed how w-i-d-e the maps get with higher points values?

It is impossible for CM to generate a long map, it just can't be done, all you get is wide maps.

You should be able to specify the battlefield dimensions in the Quick Battle setup screens.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephen Smith:

I'm still waiting for an argument why NOT to patch the game this way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's one:

CM can only handle a limited number of units (anyone know the exact number?), this number isn't that hard to reach if using current point limitations (35,000 pts total).

If you have more points, then there will be problems using them all. It will probably be troublesome for the game to have a game with low quality troops, computer pick, 20,000 pts/side. Which side is going to suffer from the unit count limitation?

Update!

I checked the unit count last night, and two Volkssturm battalions was the exact limit.

This means I could only spend about 2,500pts (out of 30,000) on Green VS troops before hitting the roof...

During setup this meant exactly two full lines of units across the "small" map.

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 11-10-2000).]

I dunno, I've seen a picture of 20-30 King Tigers in parade formation, and every one of them were manned. Perhaps it was before they were all sent to their repective units, or just a well done propaganda photo. Either way, thats alotta puty cats in one spot.