20mm infantry guns

My search for anything on the topic was unfruitful, and I was wondering if any smaller high ROF infantry guns (such as the 20mm one in SPR which kills the Americans on top of the german tank) is modeled.

Maybe its there and I just missed it!

Thanx

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bret:

My search for anything on the topic was unfruitful, and I was wondering if any smaller high ROF infantry guns (such as the 20mm one in SPR which kills the Americans on top of the german tank) is modeled.

Maybe its there and I just missed it!

Thanx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 20mm in SPR was an anti-aircraft gun used in a ground support role. This wasn't uncommon in WW2.

(Additionally, I have personally seen AA guns used that way in Vietnam too)

I would guess that the highest ROF "INFANTRY" gun you would find will be either an SMG or MG.

Even though its primary use was not against infantry it seemed that it was a fairly effective weapon just the same. Would their be any advantages to model it in the game or would it just mirror the role played by a .50 cal. How does a 20mm compare to a .50 cal round anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bret:

How does a 20mm compare to a .50 cal round anyway?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In diameter alone a 50 cal is by definition half an inch. A 20mm is 20/25.4= 0.78 inch.

Its probably 2-3 times heavier and is really a miniature HE shell. Its range and suppresive firepower would be much greater than a fifty. Its mount is very large though and I doubt that it was wheeled around in combat like "SPR".

Since Germany was always retreating in the later years, these weapons were often encountered behind the MLR.

Lewis

Yes, it is modeled in the game. It is on some German tanks in an Air-Defence role (but, who says it can't be used vs. Infantry or light vehicles? :) as well as on a mobile or stationary platform. Don't know about the mobility part...

The Allies have some AA Tanks as well. The 40mm armed Crusader AA Tank would be KILLER vs German Infantry and their pesky armoured cars.

Guest Big Time Software

We have the full range of AA guns in CM already. And yes, you can use them against ground targets.

The Allies mainly used .50cal and 40mm Bofors AA guns for light AA duty. The Germans used MG34/42s, 20mm, and 37mm AA guns. A small number of Bofors (less than 300) were in German service as well as a bunch of other captured weapons (none of which we include in CM).

The 20mm round is significantly larger and more powerfull than a .50cal round. The 20mm guns fired using magazines of 20 rounds. They aren't the best anti-infantry weapon in terms of scoring kills (unless you are close), but they sure do make infantry think twice smile.gif Where the AA guns really shine is when used against light armored vehicles. A German 37mm AA gun, for example, can knock out HTs and many tank destroyers with little difficulty.

Steve

Guest Madmatt

For more detail on the potent M242 25mm Bushmaster gun on the M2A3 Bradley, check out this informative site:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/8013/m242.html

Madmatt

p.s. The AH-64 Apache Helicopter (a,D and D Longbow models) all use the Hughes (Mcdonnell-Douglas)M230 30mm Chain Gun although original specs called for the 25mm gun but this was later up-gunned to the 30mm prior to full production.

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 03-27-2000).]

I believe AAA weapons were regularly used to suppress infantry and light vehichles...Especially on the Ost front. I've seen footage of a truck mounted 20mm cannon being fired on the level to supress soviet infantry.

It was reportedly quite devastating, as you can probably imagine.

Regs

Fen

I have been doing a fair amount of TO&E research for CMMC and the 20mm Flak38 is repeatedly cited as an excellent weapon platform - easy to move, accurate at high ROF, and useful against a myriad of targets.

The weapon also served in all types of terrain - woods, dug-in, urban, etc - with a fair degree of mobility. I have read accounts of the weapon serving as the cornerstone of a platoon/company defense and as tactical fire suppression on the offensive.

I was wondering how BTS has modelled the mobility of straight 20mm w/o a SP. Can the platform by moved inter-CM or is it stationary? My research seems to indicate that with a full crew, the weapon system should be mobile to a limited degree (maybe 10 meters/minute in normal terrain). Nevertheless, this is not a weapon system that should be moving on the battlefield - selecting and maintaining a good FOF for this platform is the key task.

Comments Steve or Beta-Tester???

Again, in "A Time for Trumpets" MacDonald describes many occasions where American quad .50s on AAA halftracks are used against ground troops at the Bulge, not to mention the 90mms and smaller AAA cannon.

The historical record proves that AAA guns were a factor in WWII infantry battles, on almost all fronts.

Yes the 20mm is portable but it is slow.

I've used them as "super-large HMGs" in a scenario in which I was attacking a town. Talk about keeping the defender's heads down I had 3 of them and with them I could suppress any enemy platoon I chose to and suppress it entirely. Very nice weapons wink.gif

Personally I like the Flakvierling 37mm. It has a great anti-infantry punch and is great for defeating enemy recon screens.

In Luftwaffe War Diaries by Cajus Bekker there is an interesting description of a battle in the Polish campaign where flak saves the day during a particularly heavy action. In one instance a 20mm gun is manhandled up a slope (nearby artillery observer officers ran to help). The weight of the gun is mentioned as being '16-cwt' and the unaided crew can't get it up even a shallow slope. From that position it fired a 20 round burst at the nearest identified MG nest or artillery observation post, silencing it. Then they rolled it back down to reload, only to repeat the process multiple times. In one case they fired 4 20 round bursts at a stone watchtower but couldn't penetrate the heavy stone. An 88 was then towed and set into position in the twilight and managed to rubble the tower just before nightfall.

-Renaud

Hi, Guys :

Don't you guys ever watch

"Saving Private Ryan" ??

At the last battle in a town, those

heros who killed the first Tiger tank

were killed by a 20 mm AAA, it can't kill

a Tiger tank but it can kill those infantry

on the tank.

In the battle of bulge, a German infantry company were ambushed by a US 4X50 Cal AAA,

and the dead bodies were more than 100.

Sarge Huang

Guest Big Time Software

Man a Quad 37 would be a neat weapon to have, wouldn't it smile.gif The Germans did make a dual 37, but it didn't see much service from what I've read. The guns were mounted "over and under" instead of side by side. Ugly bugger!

Steve

For what its worth.

US AA 20m weapon (towed, or track mouted on an APC) was called in the Viet Nam era a Vulcan. After some modifications renamed an Excaliber.

Fire rate of 3,000 RPM

HE, AP, TP, and tracer rounds

Fired in bursts, rate set by gunner 100rnd bust max.

And a 'Low no burst' rate of fire too.

A 100 round burst of HE would demolish 3 cars stacked on top of each other leaving no piece larger that 1 sq.ft.

AP could penetrate Tanks (So we were told)

This is the gun that was mounted in "Puff" in Vietnam. One round per sq. ft., I recall them saying, was "Puffs" delivery rate w/ two Vulcans mounted on the plane.

I personally wouldn't want one fireing at me.

My experiance was with the Vulcans in the early '70s.

My personal favorite German AA gun is the ultra rare twin 30mm.

I sure hope you include them in the add-on for CM, Steve when you

add in the all the really rare and unusual vehicles that you didn't

have time to put in the 1.0 release of CM. smile.gif They are certainly

worthy from a cool standpoint and they saw action late in the war. smile.gif