A question of sound? o/t (maybe)

Ash

I'm trying to find alternatives to deafening my family and friends with 300mm Rocket Blasts. One thing of settled on is headphones, however, do i need a special type of headphone specially designed for the computer or can i use the ones my walkmen uses. 2nd question, once i get the headphones how do i get them to run? i've tried before but i can't get my computer to switch from my speakers?

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 09-12-2000).]

Your headphones should work in the same way as your speakers. Can you plug them in to the same place?

I assume you haven't been able to turn the volume down?

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

The better the headphones, the better the quality of the sound, but as lnog as it sounds alright to you, it's OK!

Make sure you're not plugging the headphones into the cd player in front...plugging them in there only gets sound from the cd player (like a music cd). You want to plug them into your sound card in back (where your speakers plug in).

FYI, it is generally acknowledged that the highest quality 3D sound comes from using headphones and not speakers, so no need to be ashamed!

Best,

Onnel

Some speakers have a headphone jack on the speaker---plugging in the headphones disconnects the speakers.

Or you could get a Speaker A/B switch from Radio Shack (or other electronics store)---plug the switch into your sound card and your speakers and headphones into the switch. That way you don't have to reach behind your computer every time you want to switch between speakers and headphones.

You could also get a 'Y' cable and connect both speakers and headphones and just turn-down the speakers when you are using the headphones.

------------------

A66

1st MRB

Yep, Your find getting a y-cabel or a switch a much better choice then pluging and unpluging all the time. I can't use a regualr mic with my pc because my speakers kill it. So the only option is a headphone and boom mic. I did the switch back and forth for a while... what a pain in the ass.

Also for those of us that stay up and play while the mate is sleeping. Headphones are a lot nicer than just no sound at all.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

You can also plug your sound card into a receiver and then use the headphone jack on there. I am currently running this way until I can get some speakers that have the headphone jack. Don't know what sound card you are running but the SBlive has an option to select external speakers or headset.

------------------

Teutonicc

I have the speakers which have a headphone jack on the front. The headphones override the speaker and I use just a regular walkman phones. Since I only usually get to play CM late at night after everyone's in bed it works out well. Except I seem to forget I can still be heard. "*#&%*! Where did that shell come from?"