BAD NEWS

I was looking for a update for my little program on HOTLINE, and guest what someone sneak out a beta (I think) of Combat Mission

the file name is "Combat Mission.img"

from the .img I can tell this is a mac file

I was goin to download it and see.... but I dont' feel right about it, so I didn't download it....

I am really not sure is that a real **** or ppl just making it up to trick others.....

so....

I don't know

It is just weired

Sorry, contained information that honest people dont need to know and the less people who are other than honest know it the better smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lokesa (edited 01-19-2000).]

If it was a 250 MB img file it COULD have been an image of the full demo or current build, but I would doubt it because that would mean someone would have had to hack into BTS, or got it from their beta testers. Any other company and I would probably beleive it, but BTS seems to have a pretty good set of people inside and out. If it was any of the beta testers, there are ways BTS can find out and I wouldnt think they would risk it.

Oh I'd DEFINITELY be interested in hearing more about this.

W583, Lokesa, drop me an email about this K? I imagine it's a hoax given the set of testers that there are but I think Charles (of the ultra-high speed connection damn him wink.gif ) would definitely like to check it out and check.

Obviously I'm a tester and don't own a Mac so this is of no use to me but I'd be interested in just scoping this out.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Hmmm...

Well, on the surface I have to say we don't like this at all. Only two sets of people have Combat Mission right now:

Beta Testers

Press

Unfortunately one never knows who is a scumbag, but we have been real careful with who got what. And of course our trust was extended to whomever we sent a CD to. I hate to think that any one of our testers stabbed us in the back like this. A leaked Beta of CM's quality would be VERY bad news for us.

Any direct info should NOT be posted here, but instead emailed to me directly. No sense giving lazy scumbags pirates a nice easy link to stolen property.

Steve

steve@battlefront.com

If this is true i say lets hunt this scumbag down ,And if we cant find him do what the stalin did,Purge all the testers and shoot the press smile.gif

Human nature is very cruel at times

------------------

AUCK

New Zealand

Superpower waiting to happen

Heh, our national newsmagazine did a cover story on hotline, and probably did more to help the piracy of software than cd burners. Hell, I even got into it just to see what it was all about. If I can find the time, I'll look into this, and e-mail the correct people if I find anything.

Craig (looking to hunt down a few pirates)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Unfortunately one never knows who is a scumbag, but we have been real careful with who got what. And of course our trust was extended to whomever we sent a CD to. I hate to think that any one of our testers stabbed us in the back like this. A leaked Beta of CM's quality would be VERY bad news for us.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may well not be one of the trusted. Consider this... (transcript from tester's/reviewer's 10 year old son) " Hey guys, I was looking through some of my dad's stuff, and guess what i found..."

[This message has been edited by Berlichtingen (edited 01-19-2000).]

This really disturbs me. If its true,im sorry BTS. This,to me,feels like someone is screwing over a good friend of mine, which I cant stand to see! I hope this is some kind of error because I dont want to believe that someone betrayed my friend, and that is what I would call everyone on this board, everyone!

This percieved problem has implications to dammage plenty, BTS and consumers. So BTS, if this is not a leak and instead some kind of misunderstanding please let us know.

Please tell us this isn't true. We have been waiting impatiently for quite a time now, and I hope someone didn't screw us by trying to let a copy of a beta out into the wild before it was done just to get it out a little sooner.

IF it is true, find the little F***KER and do something really heinous to them!

I WANT THIS GAME REAL BAD! I do not want the Gold version to be held up BECAUSE SOMEONE COULDN'T RESIST DOING SOMETHING SELFISH AND JUST PLAIN WRONG with a Beta, which causes Steve and Charles to devote their time to finding this rat fink instead of working on CM!!!!

Steve and Charles, keep us informed (if you can), and if it is true, MAKE THEM PAY!

I apologize for the ranting (started to think I was Madmatt for a second biggrin.gif )

CrapGame out...

Heck, I can't remember where I heard this from, possibly from this board, but. For some other game some Beta Tester released that Beta Version to the public, but, it was so unplayable compared to the full version that it was a worthless adventure.

I, and everyone else, knows that the Beta of CM in nowhere compares to the release version. Only extremely cheap people, or those who would never have bought the game in the first place would get and use only this Beta version. If I somehow got a copy of the Beta I would still get the full version (of course I already preordered, but, well, um..).

Unless of course BTS is worried about someone using the Beta to copy their work. I am not sure about the process of creating every game, but, I think that Beta versions are probably easier to break into and learn whats inside than a completed version.

Didn't the press and Beta testers have to sign a contract?

"And what is a contract? The Websters dictionary defines it as legaly binding document, which cannot be broken. WHICH CANNOT BE BROKEN! I rest my case."

--- Lionel Hutz, Attorney at Law

[This message has been edited by Major Tom (edited 01-19-2000).]

Can someone send me the URL to this place.. I'd like to have a look at this for myself.

My views on piracy are well known so I merely want to see if this is what W583 said it was...

PLEASE only send the URL in private email.

What was uploaded IF it was the full beta will, fortunately, due to a new version we got today, be totally incompatible with the final release wink.gif.

However, personally speaking, I'd love to deball whoever did this.

Ps. the other one was Close Combat 4.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I would think that BTS would have put a unique identifying feature (such as a serial # or some individual line of code) into each copy of the Beta they sent out to the testers and the media, correct? Wouldn't it be very easy to identify the culprit (if there is one) through this piece of ID?

This has got me pissed. I don't want to see my pre-order delayed until the thaws of Spring. The ground becomes too soft for my tanks!!!!

CrapGame out...

Steve & Charles,

This post is premature because we don't yet know if the file in question is a copy of a beta build, and if so, whose copy was copied, and whether that person knew or should have known that the unauthorized copy was made and distributed. If, however, you find that an unathorized copy was made and you cannot persuade the appropriate prosecuting attorneys to investigate the matter, I am willing to volunteer some time and energy to the cause. While I have no particular expertise in computer crimes and copyright infringement, I am a commercial and business law litigator.

Anyway, please email me if I can be of any help, BTS. I would be happy to assist with contacting appropriate authorities, identifying the relevant laws, and preparing and filing legal documents. I draw the line, however, at shelling out cash for air fare and lodging to fly half way across the country for court hearings!

I *really* hope this isn't true. Steve and Charles are

some of the last game designers in the world who deserve

to have something like this happen to them. They have

worked very hard and have kept the highest standards

of quality in the design of CM so that we can have the

best wargame of it's type *ever*. That should be

respected. And for someone who was trusted with a beta

copy to do something dirty like this would be extremely

low indeed. I hope it isn't true, but if it is, I

would strongly encourage Charles and Steve to get

absolutely MEDIEVAL on whoever did it. No mercy!

Note for those not fluent in English: Getting medieval

on someone involves, in one way or another, exacting

punishment on them akin to what one might expect in

the way of torture while a prisoner in a medieval dungeon.

It's a slang phrase.