What next for CM?

Still waiting on my copy, so to pass the time I was wondering what others would like to see next for CM? I imagine mods will probably cover anything we'd possibly want, but I'd buy another product from BTS if they were to release an expansion or sequel.

My vote's split between:

Eastern Front - I'm sure this'll be a popular vote. Give me T-34's and I'll be happy.

Modern - I played modern long before dabbling in WWII, so I'm a little biased here. I can just picture ATGMs flying (relatively) slowly through the air... and praying no one saw the launch before they hit!

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become hereos." - The Beast

1. Nope, mods won't cover everything you want. I think BTS doesn't want people screwing up the realism currently in the game by making it "seem right to them".

2. CM2 is going to be Eastern Front.

Ps. I'd KILL ( literally) for a modern CM. I think Steve and Charles could produce something awesome as regards modern warfare.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Ps. I'd KILL ( literally) for a modern CM. I think Steve and Charles could produce something awesome as regards modern warfare.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, dunno Fionn, I thought about the same thing first time I saw CM, it would require huge maps, large revisions in FC, Arty, C&C etc. Maybe it would work up to Co size but not much more, & how much of a challenge with modren weapon capabilities would it be.

The great thing bout CM & WW2 is the variables sure a few tanks can dominate others under the right conditions, but you can counter this generaly with other units.

But when you start dealing with MBTs, ala Abram's, Challenger's, T-80UM's T-90's lethatlity, & the ATGMs reduced capabilities vs MBT's, and the plethora of deadly supt modren armies feild.

This realy became apperent when we did SP2 & even SP3 it was just a shootout even with extended maps more terrain etc. I could see some awsome IFV infantry engagements though smile.gif.

I could see an CM covering say 73 - 83 Europe though as it would be more of a challenge due to the forces being more or less equal in equiptment etc.

I'd like to see Korea, & Italy done on the CM engine, myself as well.

Regards, John Waters

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-04-2000).]

Well John,

With improving computers I could see Bn-level modern battles being possible using a CM-like engine in 3 to 4 years.

hell, I'm having a regimental PBEM right now and I'm on a slow as poke 333 AMD K6-2.

Also, as modern warfare I'd DEFINITELY wnat to be able to put the Germans up against the French and interesting stuff like that.

T62s vs M1A2s just isn't fun wink.gif.

The next BIG thing should be the TCP/IP connection.

Everything else can wait.

I'm looking forword to online TCP/IP head to head action with a turn timer to simulate the real time presure and stress of battle (ok I should have just used the word pretend stress as, there should be some stress to get the turn done in certain time limit agreed to by both parties.

-tom w

I agree about TCP/IP.

Also I want to see the Desert Campaign badly. Like I said on an earlier post, who doesn't want a crack at Rommel.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Well John,

With improving computers I could see Bn-level modern battles being possible using a CM-like engine in 3 to 4 years.

hell, I'm having a regimental PBEM right now and I'm on a slow as poke 333 AMD K6-2.

Also, as modern warfare I'd DEFINITELY wnat to be able to put the Germans up against the French and interesting stuff like that.

T62s vs M1A2s just isn't fun wink.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasnt the technolgy in PCs I was speaking of smile.gif its the capabilities of modren weapons, and how they would be incorperated into CM's scale.

Well I don't know about T-62's etc from 73 - 83 but the evolution line for weapons during the period is very similar to WW2, as well as weapon capabilities that was more my point.

We also would have M-60's, Leapords, T-64's,T-72's, T-80's etc. As for the M1 yes it would make an appearence near the end of the period, but by no means would it be dominate as it would from 89 - 2000.

Basicly their is much more playability in 73 - 83 then their is later, do to the decreased ilethality, when compared to 89 on, therefor more of a challenge for us in the long run, then a current model.

Regards, John Waters

I'd like to see a WW II combat mission set between 1939 invasion of Poland (with horses!) including the invasion of France/Norway/Finland/ and the North African campaigns.

WW I would be easy enough to do. Lots of infantry, barbed wire, trenches, artillery. But who'd want to wait 4 years to move wink.gif

well, they had tanks near the end.

A Combat Mission Naploeonic game would be sweet sweet sweet.

-Tiger

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 08-04-2000).]

Tiger wrote:

WW I would be easy enough to do. Lots of infantry, barbed wire, trenches, artillery. But who'd want to wait 4 years to move

The Eastern front was actually quite mobile. It would be a real challenge for CM to handle a cavalry shock. This is something they will have to work at anyway for CM2.

(cossack charges)

Marcus

Hummm Cossack charges smile.gif

Theres more imping to CM2 then you first realize...Guess it will prolly be next year before its done ah well

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

For a desert campaign you would want huge maps... As the desert in parts is very flat and the moment you press go... BAM one big shooting gallery with no LOS problems to worry about...

And I do realise there were very hilly terrain types in north Africa...

------------------

Quote.

If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no planes at all it's the Luftwaffe." ---German soldier on the Western Front, 1944.

Basild wrote:

Hummm Cossack charges

Theres more imping to CM2 then you first realize...Guess it will prolly be next year before its done ah well

----------------------------------------

If I'm not mistaken the last known large scale cavalry charge was by Italians in the east front. They suffered disastrous losses.

Someone know the details of this?

Marcus

Im starved for some Pacific action. The only place to get it is "Rising Sun". I know it wont happen in CM2, as the main focus will unundoubtably Eorope. But it would be nice to maybe add a few extra options to the QB's. Such as tropical style random map, Marine units, Japanese units. I know the Armor battles were few, and nothing on the scale of Eorope. But the Infantry battles were close and brutal. weapons used in the pacific to great effect would have been all but useless in Europe. one small example is the 1923-E2 Howitzer(75mm). It was small, and this made it Pactical for this kind of warfare. Or theres the early model Flame Shermon tank. There would be plenty of trench, and bunker killing as well. The pacific war is rarely covered in "Good" wargames. I know someday this will change.

------------------

Semper Fi.