German 75mm Inf Gun?

I've been using the German 75mm Inf Gun on the defense, and it kicks ass, pardon my French. It seems to stop infantry rushes in their tracks, steals morale, and even takes out light vehicles.

One question for the group? Have you guys had any luck using it on the offense? I guess you could tow it into position, but won't it take heavy fire while you're setting up (plus it takes two minutes to unlimber)? I was just wondering if anyone had used it in the offensive capacity.

I don't have my game yet, can a crew move a gun like the 75mm IG18 for short distances, or are they static? In real life, the gun was pretty easy to push around by the crew.

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

The 75mm Infantry Gun was intentionally designed to be moved physically across the ground by the crew.

The very end of WWI saw the German use of sturmtruppen combined with supporting arty of its own. The Germans saw a need for infantry to retain its own artillery so they developed the infantry gun.

The gun only weighed 400kg so it wasn't incredibly difficult to manhandle.

Jason

I wanted to muck about with some Gebirgsjaegers, so i set up a QB with very hilly and heavily forested terrain. I threw a Gbjgr Heavy Weapons Coy. (more of a section, really) into the mix just for grins. Managed to push those two 75mm guns half-way across the map (small map --- but very vertical) by about turn 15.

Came in rather handy, actually --- but I was only facing infantry...

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

They can be moved, Teamski. I wouldn't call it easy, but you can push them around.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am just wondering whether the limiting factor here (as with HMG and LMG teams) is ammunition. While the gun may or may not be easy to move, 60 rounds won't be. If so, it would be great if maybe in CM2 or 3 there was a dynamic system under which guns/HMGs that have gone through most of their ammo could move faster.

------------------

Andreas

I killed a Sherman this very morning with a side shot, at about 80m, from the 75 IG. It blowed up real good.

It then engaged one of the Sherm's comrades in a head-to-head duel at about the same range. Spunky bastard bounced 2 rounds off the Sherman's front ("no serious damage") before being knocked out.

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

The 75mm Infantry Gun was intentionally designed to be moved physically across the ground by

the crew.

The very end of WWI saw the German use of sturmtruppen combined with supporting arty of its

own. The Germans saw a need for infantry to retain its own artillery so they developed the infantry

gun.

Not just the germans, infantry guns have been in use since the Turks took Constantanople, by many countries.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I killed a Sherman this very morning with a side shot, at about 80m, from the 75 IG. It blowed up real good.

It then engaged one of the Sherm's comrades in a head-to-head duel at about the same range. Spunky bastard bounced 2 rounds off the Sherman's front ("no serious damage") before being knocked out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a QB last night I wasn't as lucky, alas. I managed to bounce FIVE rounds off of a Sherman II--upper and lower side, upper and lower front hull, and front turret--before the tank knocked out the gun. My 75 only had HE and smoke, and the HE's paltry 19mm penetration didn't suffice even against the Sherman's relatively thin side armor. Fortunately for me, my infantry went three-for-three with their panzerfaust shots, taking out all of the AI's AFV's...

Still, the moral of my story is if you don't have any shaped charges in inventory, you'll have trouble killing tanks with the 75 IG even by taking side or rear shots...

[This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 09-01-2000).]