OT: Best Documentaries on WWII

Hello all,

My interest in WWII has been increasing exponetially of late (due in part to CM...) and while I've read several of the books listed previously on this forum, I'm trying to find a good video(VHS) series on WWII.

I'd prefer something that's fairly in depth if possible...as well as entertaining.

Any suggestions are appreciated as would a few quick comments on why you liked your recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

-Noncom

The History channel has some good documentaries. Every sunday is guts and glory sunday and they usually have something good on about wwII. If you want something for sheer coolness value get the World War 2 in Color tapes. Its 3 hours long and was on the H-channel a while ago

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 08-14-2000).]

I'd suggest that you stay away from the US series Victory at Sea. While I enjoyed it as a kid, its amazingly anti-Axis slant renders it unwatchable for me today. I'm no Axis sympathizer, but the Germans and Japanese were humans - this series portrays them in a very negative light. Other than that minor flaw wink.gif it's OK.

The World at War scared the Hell out of me when I watched it as a kid (in part due to its theme music). I've only caught a few episodes since, but those and my memories add up to a pretty good recommendation. I've been meaning to order the reduced-price set on VHS but haven't gotten around to it yet.

In your video quest, don't overlook books. There's nothing like raw footage to make WW II real, but IMHO there's nothing like a book to really explain WW II (except a game which you already have).

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer immediately comes to mind, almost as a reflex. You can do a Search on "books" under "Search In: Subject Only" to find many more.

Good viewing/reading!

Wendell

All my friends call the History Channel the "Hitler Channel". As much as I like WWII history I think there's a definite overdose on WWII on that channel. Sure, it was the defining event for this century but surely there can be other events previously or since that deserve attention just for the fact that few people's memories go back farther than WWII.

However, there have been a few documentaries recently which have renewed my faith in the medium and in cable TV.

There was one called _The Greeks: Crucible of Democracy_ that was well-made and entertaining. This seemed to concentrate on the Athenians. A good example of modern documentary methods that combine using actors, dramatizations, on location shooting and special effects.

This weekend I saw a fine Japanese - Canadian docudrama called "Hiroshima". It is a historical dramatization that attempts to show the political events surrounding the dropping of the bomb from the point of view of the Truman inner circle, the Japanese government (staff, Imperial council) and the bombing crew as they prepared for the bombing and carried it out. It combines some fine acting, testimonials from people involved (Hiroshima victims as well as Edward Teller!) with historical footage. It was made in 1995. I don't know much about the accuracy of the events but it seemed well balanced. The Japanese POV is very interesting as it attempted to show the feelings of the staff and their attitude toward impending defeat. Hirohito is shown to be more moderate than his generals.

Here is the link to find out more. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113309

[This message has been edited by Disaster@work (edited 08-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Disaster@work (edited 08-14-2000).]

Just to add one more which was similar in style to "Hiroshima" (1995) was another docudrama called "WWII: When Lions Roared" which portrayed the relationships between and strategies of the three allied leaders Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt. What set this docudrama apart was the interesting method of portraying their communications with each other. Of course, they only met in person rarely and mostly relied upon radio and written messages. In this film, however, it shows them acting and speaking out their written words as if they were in the same room. It was an interesting take on the "split screen" you usually see on TV when two parties are on the phone with each other. Also some clever use of digital effects that used footage combined with live acting. Good cast too: Michael Caine(Stalin), Bob Hoskins (Churchill), and John Lithgow (Roosevelt).

------------------

----

To download my scenarios: go to

http://www3.telus.net/pop_n_fresh/combatmiss/index.htm

One more vote for World at War. In depth and insightful, each "chapter" deal with a different aspect of the war. Have to Ditto the suggestion to read Shirer's Rise & Fall as weel, tho it is strictly focused on the Reich and ignores the pacific war entirely. Churchill's memoirs are good too.

Thank you to those of you that responded. Also, FYI, I had done a search prior to posting this question but found no firm responses about documentaries in particular. (Tons of posts on movies in general, but very little on the "real" WWII)

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I have now read (or I'm in the process of reading) several of the books recommended by this forum. However, I always learn a lot by "seeing" the terrain/troops/personalities/battles etc. in "action". Hence the question above...

Again, thanks to any/all that responded.

Noncom

"The Unknown War" narrated by Burt Lancaster gets my vote. It's a bit slanted from the Soviet side, but it's the best doc I've seen on the war in the east. Hard to find now.

------------------

Lucasta, when to France your man

Returns his fourth time, hating war,

Yet laughs as calmly as he can

And flings an oath, but says no more,

That is not courage, that’s not fear—

Lucasta he’s a Fusilier,

And his pride sends him here.

World at War's been mentioned, but there are others:

The Time/Life video series 'A century of war' (or is it warfare?) is very good IMHO.

Another set to look for is Chronos videos series on the development of German WW2 AFVs - there are 7 videos in total, each covering the development of a particular tank etc (eg Panther, Tiger, Stug).

I think there is a English video publisher called DDV (Fionn, help!!!!), that has quite an extensive Military series.

Mace

Purchased the World at War box set (9 volumes with 3 episodes each)6 months ago, and it was definitely a good watch.

However, be warned, it does NOT glamorize war, and mostly covers real big picture stuff like politics, national strategies, human suffering, etc.

Not a lot of tactical insights you might be looking for.

DO NOT HELP THIS PERSON!!!!

This guy has kicked my butt in our last game and now he is blasting all of my Sher...er...pershings off of *MY* hill. Let him get some more tactics and our game won't last past the 8th turn! I say no more lessons for you NC! Why don't you watch the Food Channel instead.

smile.gif

VS

Well, well, well...

VS.

I see you've decided to scurry from the cover of the trees and hills to make a quick swipe at me on this forum, eh Von Slippy? I suppose in your position (ie...cowering like a nasty little tick on the backside of some mangy cur...) that one has to find a way to gather the strength to continue in such a hopeless fight.

My JP commander has asked me to please silence your AFV commanders with large quantities of arty fire to stop their pathetic quivering in terror. The rattling of all that armor plating is getting on his nerves...Then, after the remainder of your AFV's are dead your little band of drunken flower pickers can have lots 'o fun taking the objectives away from me with no heavy support and a nice long walk through a maelstrom of fire to contend with... smile.gif

As to whether or not I need the tactical help, (as Hundminen refered to in his post) that remains to be seen smile.gif VS? What do you think? Hmmmm?

On the documentry side of this...I was actually wanting to see a good series for "the BIG picture" on the war, not to get tactical help for CM. Something that has an objective point of view that was is informative as possible. I'm a rank amatuer at present and in need of MUCHO information before I reach the level of "Grognard Apprentice."

World at War seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks again to all who posted...

Except for von slippymeister...I'll take care of what's left of you later.

Noncom

Mr. NC,

Oh how wrong you are. That little 'virgin sacrifice of your half-track revealed no more than a certain death from my well trained Free French gunners. Bring on that little roving casket that has been polluting my forest with its fumes of confusion.

Also, that is not hiding...it is stealth. Of course someone with a JP wouldn't understand the concept of movement and cover. My men are well entrenched and will welcome a little fireworks from a FO who hasn't the guts to map out his line of fire. Firing into the great unknown huh? Better to just place it on your tank because that is where my troops will be swarming very soon!

BTW, I do feel sorry for the cargo of that HT. Stuck out there on my hill with no friends. Just raise your arms, drop your never-been-fired weapons and we will show you a little French hospitality.