Kubelwagon with MG

Hello

A MG mounting was very common for Kubels on all fronts. However, it wasn't a standard mounting (hey the Jerries built 10s of thousands of these things) but if required easily added in the field.

The German's even toyed with the idea of a lightly armoured version complete with turret. As for pics there are plenty available - the Schiffer series on the Kubel/Schwimwagen has a few.

Later

Unless I'm mistaken the MG was more for warding off marauding fighter bombers or partisans depending upon your circumstances. The Kubelwagen was more a runaround than recon vehicle. I don't think it was used in the same way that one pictues the MG Jeep being employed.

I am sure they mounted these but as to their effectiveness I seriously doubt it. As for the US jeeps with MG,s they mounted them also but in reality they were ineffective. For one, the operator of the mg was fully exposed. Secondly the recoil from a mg34 or a 30cal on a kubel wagon or jeep would be tremedous and hitting a target not moving would be difficult. As for the 50 cal on a jeep this was extremely rare and the recoil would rattle the vehicle and the angle of fire and deflection would be poor. Having experienced firing a 50 cal (M1a1 style) on a hard mount I seriously doubt their effectiveness, just my thoughts....