The British and Canadian Armies

I have a small question about some detail of the representation of these armies. Will the ranks of the various positions in the company(s) be correct? (ie The Officer Commanding a company is a Major with a Captain as second in command. A platoon is commanded by a Lieutenant or Second Lieutenant with a Sergeant as Second in Command and Corporals as Section Commanders. ((These armies refer to Squads as Sctions))

Guest Big Time Software

In as much as rank is used in Combat Mission, yes they are specific to each nationality. This means US, Brit, Polish, German, etc. ranks are stated as expected. However, ranks are not very central to Combat Mission as the scope is too large to worry about questions like "is that platoon commanded by a 1st or 2nd Lt?" Ranks are fixed per unit type and are abbrivated to save on interface space. Otherwise you would have things like Hauptsturmführer bumping out more important things smile.gif

Steve

• 1 year later...
Guest Germanboy

Just dug this one out - long live the search function! As many of you know I am quite partial to the Pommies and Canucks (don't ask me why, except for that they kick butt most of the time if used correctly), and I was wondering if there was a possibility to get the correct Commonwealth ranks into the game at some point? It is not important, and really really minor and if it takes more than ten minutes work I can live without it, but it would be a very nice touch and add to immersion. Somehow does not feel absolutely right to have a Coy commanded by a Captain and a BN by a Major.

Andreas - off to have a cuppa

off topic here but hey why not. now don't get me wrong I love CM, but i think well accents the canucks have the same accents as the british... that may be true that there were a few british people in the canadian army at the time but (being canadian) there are some very lovely canadian accents from the east coast and west coast nothing like hearing a Newfoundlander screaming at the top of his lungs, telling his lads to move thier butts! hmm maybe I'm being a little nationalistic but canadians don't sound like Amis or Brits... *rant*

now where did I put those 300mm Rickets..hehe..(still killing myself over that one, cuz I make spelling mistakes all the time)

Doing some scenario research (while waiting for CM to showup... it's been a long five weeks, let me tell you!) I stumbled across the origins of the Kangaroo. I knew it was a Canadian creation, but I didn't realize it was General Simmond's field expedient to try and cut down the horrendous troop losses following Caen, in the drive to close Falaise. (Operation Totalize If memory serves.) Ripped the guns out of his Priest gun carriages and slapped a roof on 'em! Voila.. the world's first proper APC. (sorry, Bren carriers and half-tracks just don't cut it for me.)

"My name is Tailz, and I... am... Canadian!!... but still CM-less."

Guest Germanboy

TailZ - no roof IIRC. The welding that was done was to close the frontal gun port. There is a website about the 1st Canadian APC regt. somewhere. I think they became part of the 79th Armoured (Hobo's Funnies) Division.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

...nothing like hearing a Newfoundlander screaming at the top of his lungs, telling his lads to move thier butts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe... "G'wan, B'ys! Where'd dem PIATs go, eh? I turn'd 'round an' dere dey were, side by each, GAN!"

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

I am Canadian, while I'm a west coaster, I still have never heard a Newfie say that. Sure, I say 'eh', But if I was shouting commands I doubt I would say 'Hold your fire, eh!' While i may use it on other commands, it takes common sense as to which they would be used on.

Mensch is also correct in that we do not sound like British or American people. So let me just say that I hope they have another Canadian to do our commands smile.gif

P.S., yes I am new to the boards, this is my first post smile.gif

------------------

The worst part of any conflict is peacekeeping, it is the time when only one side may fire.

I like all these suggestions for providing a bit more flavour to the Commonwealth units but my own personal top of a 'wish list' would be for a few more infantry squad types. Other threads include requests for British Commandos and US Rangers, all of which appear to have been used for more than just 'special ops' (It could be argued that paratroops were only meant for limited ops too, even though their actual experience went beyond that). I have several accounts of night attacks made during the Normandy campaign on German tank laagers that seem to have been the work of Brit Commandoes - some interesting scenario possibilities?

Even if these are rejected I would like to suggest an option for including Commonwealth squads armed with more Stens (Brits) or Thompsons (Canadians) than the standard one per section. Thousands of Stens were produced and from '44 the 'Woolworths gun' can be seen in photos equipping up to half a section, especially for streetfighting duties. 'The World War II Tommy' by Bradley and Ingram has this to say:

'By 1944 Sten guns were in plentiful supply and privates might acquire them or be issued with them for some tasks, such as patrols or streetfighting...'

Actually Brit airborne sections only had a standard issue of one per section but I'm glad to see that in the game they have three (I think...) which is probably closer to actual reality. With the huge variety of German squad types and optional weapon load-outs I think this is only logical! Anyway just a little suggestion...