BEFORE OUR BELOVED CM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOKESA:

Car Wars You bet!

I gotta tell ya this one story:

My Buddie was almost dead and was going to commit Harikari by filling his beat up station wagon full of grenades he had them all wired, all he'd have to do was pull the cord and boom!

So he's racing down the road and my other friend is just killing everyone cause he's got a chopper. My friend in the chopper decides to land and try and shoot some of my other buds pedestrians hiding in a tree. He lands the chopper just then my friend speeding by in the beat up wagon lets the back down...all the grenade fall near the chopper and blow it sky high! hehehe

After that, he found the will to live again.

lol

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Mike Oberly mentioned AH's Outdoor Survival which I bought for the kids around the house not excluding me. This reminds me of a mindbending tour de force for a 64k Apple2+ system called Wilderness. This survival game interfaces the player with a 3d non hexed survival field in which the view is alterable in 1 degree increments. The packaged terrain is Rocky Mountain like. The player has to select from available survival items aboard the crashed plane what he can manage weight wise and proceed to walk out to a "Ranger Station".

There is a computer map available, (you damned sure don't want to forget it) and often a compass. You can use it to set an azmuth. After you get started walking your view changes as you travel. The terrain is depicted by contour like lines that "paint the landscape" If you get into a forrest, you have trees obscuring the view.

The first task after getting your gear together is map orentation. You have to look at the scenery around you, compare it to the map and decide where you are. This is random for each terrain.

As you proceed you have to keep up with your gear, feed your self, deal with environmental factors including wild creatures, being concerned with all the things that one really would have to deal with. You can also use your gear to construct shelter or tools from local natural resources. It includes rivers and the food they may provide and dealing with the obsticle they present to travel or use them for travel.

I generally felt like saying to hell with walking out; I liked the virtual living where I was.

This game was put out by Electric Transit of Thousand Oaks Ca. in 1984. Its creators used the expertise of a bunch of PHd's, an MD and other experts from places like the Jet Propulsion Labs, Cornel U., St. Francis Medical Center, Mo, and the Los Angles Co, Museum of Natural History. It was an adult level game with serious overtones.

Can you imagine that being set up with today's capability. Wow!

Guest L Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've still got hundreds of board war games in a closet. I daren't risk setting one up with a five-year-old daughter who would gladly push counters around and take away any which caught her interest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think that's bad? Try it with cats. Especially cats that like to periodically perform "gravity verification experiments" to make sure that things still plummet to the floor if you shove them off the edge of the table.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>is Mr. Stahler *really* a '-2' leader?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. Actually, he's also a 10-3 german leader - I know because I'm using the Maj. Stahler counter as a leader AGAINST Mr. Stahler, who's playing the British in an Arnhem campaign we're playing. Maybe his troops will be reluctant to fire on him...muahahaha.

If longevity counts for anything, he probably rates a -2 at least. He's been a playtester for the duration of the SL/ASL series. I'd say he's a very solid player, with good probability analysis skills, and excellent knowledge of the rules (not that we don't learn/relearn something new every time we play, it seems).

Leland J. Tankersley

• 10 months later...

Oh, the nostalgia...

------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Sheesh, who dug this old chestnut out?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hamsters!

Oh,Comon guys....Am I the only soul left who remembers Combat Leader?????? The first real time squad to platoon combat sim featuring customization that allowed battles to be fought from WWI through 80s battles??? Truly the fore runner of it all....from SSI for the C64 in the early 80s

Pham911,

Lol, do you suppose Dante just missed that layer?

I will gladly fight you in a small (5000 points or less) PBEM battle for the right to bring back the dead.

(Wasn't Pham911 a rock band in the 80s?)

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Sheesh, who dug this old chestnut out?

Hamsters!

My favorite games that concern strategy and more realism than Starcraft can provide smile.gif

I still play the V for Victory series. I lost my Gold Juno Sword Disks frown.gif but still play the Utah beach, Operation Market Garden, and Velyki Luki scenarios. I have been playing that game since like 1993. I like those games because they were the first games that I saw supply lines affect a outcome. I used to use my stronger SS units and break through systematically cutting and destrying opposing armies. The Soviets were very easy to do this to smile.gif

Then I also like World at War series, operation Cursader. I wanted to get the Stalingrad edition but never got around to it.

I also play PBEM games run by a gm. Played germany last and made the game very interesting. They quit it before my 10,000 tanks came into operation smile.gif They were going to invade the soviet union. I know I know how dumb is that? Well I already beat the brits down and had the french in my pocket smile.gif

Just got thi game today and see this has some great possibilities. Not the divisional level command job I am used to but after looking at the scenario called "All or none"?

I cant imagine commanding multiple divisions and still enjoying the game smile.gif

Gen

Squad Leader/Cross of Iron.

Russian Campaign.

GHQ, CinC, Ros Heroics miniatures, World War II. 20mm miniatures, American war of Independence, American Civil war and 2nd. Punic Wars.

Steel panthers, Jagged Alliance, X-com and East Front.

I played Risk as a kid. In college I really got into this boardgame called Supremacy (think of it as a modern-day Risk with six superpowers, nukes and the Market to purchase and sell supplies for your war machine). Modules came out for the game that included armor, boomers, NBC warfare and military leaders among others.

Computerwise, I cut my teeth on the original Panzer General, Conflict for the original NES (a real gem of a game for its day) and Military Madness for the TurboGrafix 16.

Currently addicted to CM smile.gif

------------------

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

--Dr. Strangelove--