TCP/IP Problem

Hi,

I have been one of the few that does not get the demand for TCP/IP. I PBEM every night and it works great - sometimes 6 turns a night with one opponent. And thus, my question....

Most nights I enjoy concurrently playing about 3 PBEMS. That is, I get a turn from Player A, watch it, send it back. About that time I get a turn from Player B. Watch it, make orders, send it back. And on and on (one day I had 4 going like this!).

Anyway, if I am on TCP/IP, I will only be able to play vs. one opponent per night. I know my other opponents probably will not care for that.

Am I wrong? Will there be a way to have several games going on? If not, as I have stated before, I will probably just stick to email (besides, being online while my opponent spends 15 minutes replaying a turn movie is not my idea of fun)

Thanks for your input in advance.

------------------

Jeff Newell

TankDawg

Personally, I tend to agree. E-mail, despite the sometimes weird turn sequence and large file sizes, is much more flexible. TCP/IP would be great if it let several players per side work together. Other than that, I don't see the need.

------------------

Two Rules to Live By:

1. Never Get Out of the Boat.

2. Charlie Doesn't Surf.

Well I for one would like the option of TCP/IP ...so when I would like to sit down and just play CM against a human without any distractions. This does not mean I will swear off PBEM. I enjoy playing some of my opponents and some expressed they will not play TCP/IP. To each his own, but I for one am looking forward to it.

I agree I have a LAN at work, at home and at my friends work that we can use. Right now hotseat is just too long. We still play though because the game is that good. I will still play PBEM but TCP/IP will be great too.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

Well, I am glad that PBEM works for a lot of folks. In my case I have a home network and would love to play with my Bro. I also play on the internet and I feel that TCP/IP makes the games go faster. I would get faster turnaround and could play a game in a couple of hours. I have been forced to Play CC as of late just so I can get net Play. No one I know (includeing me) can tolerate the PBEM. I guess it boils down to different strokes for different folks.

Guest MantaRay

"What you talking about Willis?" Hehe had to say that.

I think i will actually play a game against someone with TCP/IP. PBEM has too many things that make me just want to play the AI.

1. No waiting for days for a turn.

2. I have to scroll through about 100 emails everytime I look at it.

3. People seem to know exactly where everyone of my troops are (atleast in West Front they did) and that is a bit weird to me.

4. Misplacements of files can result in the turn needing to be replayed.

5. And last but not least....this is the 21st Century. PBEM is so 20th Century. smile.gif

Ray

Mantaray,

Sounds like you have major organization issues! How do you lose files? I have 5 ongoing games right now. Have played dozens. Never lost a file.

And if you have to wait that long for turns, you need different opponents. Just make sure you know how many turns a day you can expect from your opponent BEFORE you start.

As for "people knowing exactly where your troops are." I have no idea what this has to do with PBEM. Sounds like a Fog of War issue.

If you are having this much trouble with PBEM, I think TCP/IP might prove to be a little more challenging.

------------------

Jeff Newell

TankDawg

Guest MantaRay

I wasnt refering to my losing of them. My organizational skills are just fine, throw everything in the middle of the floor and nothing gets lost. smile.gif

And people do start out to say I can play X amount of turns per day, but life has a funny way of interrupting good intentions.

And I do not believe I have trouble with PBEM games, been doing them for years.

As far as ppl knowing where my troops are, that was a joke, forgot the smile.gif

As the biggest "I want TCP/IP" crybaby on the board I'll give you guys a couple of my many reasons for wanting it.

1) What is missing for me with PBEM games (I currently have 6 going and have never had less than 3 going since the beta demo...so I do play them) is the "feel" for a game can get lost. The tension that you feel while playing a game straight through against the AI. The whole flow of a game is diminished in PBEM. Not gone but diminished.

2) The ability to play an entire game in one sitting. Like MantaRay I often just open the game and play the AI rather than looking for one of my prey online to file exchange a handful of turns. It should not take much more time to play a TCP/IP game than it would to play a game vs. the AI and I feel my gaming time would be better spent playing one game through rather than bits of several games.

I have plenty of other reasons but those are the biggest. As far as waiting 15 minutes while the other player watches the movie..I am assuming that both players will be watching the movie and plotting simultaneously. If you find the person you are playing is taking much longer than you then you can let them know about and next time you play them set the timer for a shorter per turn time. That kind of stuff should be a non issue......Damn I do babble when talking about TCP/IP.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

By the way. I am not trying to talk anyone into wanting TCP/IP. Just when I see these "I don't know why anyone would want TCP/IP and here is why..." threads I feel the need to point out to newer people that there are reasons to want it and that some of the reasons people don't want it are based on false assumptions. I believe one of the reasons it is taking so long for TCP/IP to be released is to eliminate many of the things that people say are reasons they wouldn't play it.

The only TCP/IP games I have ever played are Steels Panther: World at War & 3, Madden 2000/2001 and Jack Nicklaus 5 & 6. And I can tell you the Steel Panther games are MUCH MUCH MUCH more enjoyable to play online than by email. It is of course a given with the other two games.

Once it is out the people that don't want to use can certainly continue to not use.

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

Count me in for wanting TCP/IP

very simply, I too, seek the immediacy of TCP/IP combat.

Instant online battle with devious (I hope they are keen cunning and devious anyway) human opponents who are determined to outwit me in almost real time with a turn timer to make you feel the tension and stress of battle as thought it was and RTS combat sim?

Your Damn right I can't wait!

Bring it ON!

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 10-12-2000).]

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

To answer the original question i think you will be able to play more than one opponent at a time if you can manage it. I sometimes have anything up to 5 games of CM running at the same time on my PC - just open them up start a quick battle, then press Escape and open up a few more. I have 2 installations of CM, one with all the mods and one straight from the CD so i can open pbem files and compare the graphic and sound mods for the same piece of action. If your modem can handle it and you can manage to play 2 guys at once then i am sure you could do it. BTW a good pc helps, i have a Athlon 900 with 256MB Ram and a 64MB Ge-Force 2. I notice no slowdown at all when several games of CM are open at the same time.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

CDIC, I am with ya here. I think PBEM allows you to play at a pace which suits one's needs and time.

Of course, I am not saying TCP/IP is not good but you really need a descent connection. My previous, unhappy, venture into online games where poor ping times and connection really hurt. If you play enough PBEM, you will notice the files for exchange are quite large, some complex scenarioes can mount up >500KB, even it is zipped. Say, for Valley of Trouble, which is in the Gold Demo, files > 200KB is not uncommon.

That is the reason why I voted for TCP/IP as a patch later. I believe BTS is working hard on ensuring the transmission will be smooth and other technical issues.

After waiting for my copy of CM to arrive, I think I can waiting for anything. Stay tuned.

Griffin.

P.S. CDIC, how is you "power" machine running? Is it stable? Can it run all software? I am thinking either I use the money to go to England or upgrad my P2-450 to Althon 1.1G.

P.P.S. How about another game? I have one completed lately, and the other opfor in hospital. I have only 2 PBEM running right now and a BG2 game...

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

As for handling email, I have setup an a/c only for CM pbem on Hotmail. Since web mail are free and there is virtually no limit of how many you can setup one. I suggest a dedicated email a/c.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

I like the pbm, great when you have a few games going and not a total commitment of time(my wife likes it too wink.gif)

I also think TCP/IP would be a great option. For the players wanting instant game results, and Friday night CM fests. And where players can get together and chat, play, and shoot the **** is a lotta fun. I have played CC2 on the Zone for a long time and half the fun is talking, and playing with old friends. Wouldn't it be nice if TournamentHouse opened a game room? redface.gif

yobobo

TournamentHouse.com

Game Ranking Ladder

Come For The Carnage, Stay For The Stats! http://www.tournamenthouse.com/

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Griffin,

The power mchine is just great now that i have stamped out the virus with some help from Madmatt.

It runs anything i can throw at it - all software runs fine. But i leave you to choose between a new PC and a trip to England!!

If you send me a setup file we can play a quick battle.........you choose side and QB details or a scenario if you wish. So far the score is 3 - 0 Do you think you can win this time??? He he he.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

To begin with: "I still wanna my TCP/IP!". ICQ/Yahoo Messager/etc would be an alternative right now.

Now go on to off-topic:

CDIC, actually it will be Canon EOS D30, Althon and English muesum. Definitely, Althon has higher mark so far as I could keep most of my peripherals. The investment would be relatively small. And :

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So far the score is 3 - 0 Do you think you can win this time??? He he he.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you trying to start another "Griffin, I am bringing our challenge to pulbic" thread? Oh, please!

Anyway, I am going to enjoy a Jazz session tonight, I am sending you the file tomorrow morning.

Griffin.

P.S. I have an ICQ# posted, but don't try to send me any virus, it will be futile.

------------------

Hi,

I think both PBeM and TCP/IP have their merits and drawbacks. It is really a matter of what is more convenient to the individual. I do have one concern regarding TCP/IP and I hope it is just a rumor/heresay, etc.

I have seen several posts regarding the possibility of time limits and or limited replays on turns. Basically if this becomes part of TCP/IP then CM ceases to be a turn based game and becomes a RTS in one minute increments. He who can think on the fly, adjust faster to the situation and act quicker than his opponent within the constraints will have an advantage every time. Maybe BTS can chime in and let us know if TCP/IP is headed this direction, which I am betting it is not. The only time constraint that should be put in TCP/IP is "Dude, hurry up and finish your move."

JMO,

Harold