Interesting article on CM Development

Yes, it's a very good article.. Of course, it's written entirely by Charles so it really is the "inside word".

Ok, things that struck a particular resonance with me...

" By spring of this year, though, it was clear that someone had to shut off the idea spigot, or we'd never finish. The role of Draconian Evil Overlord fell to me, such that exchanges late in the development cycle were a bit like:

"Hey Charles, I was thinking we could add..."

"No."

"Charles, I hav..."

"No."

"Char..."

"No!" "

I remember that well wink.gif. Of course, even after Charles became Darth Moylan I believe Rune managed to get rifle grenades in for the Amis wink.gif.

And who could forget....

" But, as you would expect with beta software, the graphics were unfinished, and this caused us some grief. We actually got e-mails that said, "I don't like the graphics in your beta demo. They look unfinished." I am not making this up. "

Ah, the joy of people not understanding what BETA means wink.gif.

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 08-12-2000).]

A very interesting article

Another interesting note;

Charles said that they did not plan for the future 32 MB second generation video cards and CM might not take full advantage of them......

Well, CM seems to put my 32MB card to the test just fine on some of the larger maps.

And I have a fairly decent system.

I am fairly pleased with the graphics in CM.

I would not want to sacrafice one ounce of realistic game play for better graphics.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Oh course, the spigot seemingly was gapingly re-opened for CM2...tho perhaps it will stop short of the russian dog legion.

*sniff* CM2 due circa 2002. wink.gif

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

Actually it was not me for the American grenades. I think LOS did the research, but I could be wrong.

I have to admit, every suggestion but 1 made it into the game. Charles does listen IF you ask, and don't demand. If you can back up with documented proof, and not just opinion. Finally, IF it can be done with the engine.

Rune

Did I mention T28 or GRG? Noooooooooo smile.gif

Great article!

I think a lot of people at this forum would benefit from reading it, just to get an idea how much dedicated work is actually pu into the game. To all of you who contributed: THANKS!

And Basil, I did send you a turn this morning so wake up and reply cause I´m going to a party this evening with lots of Swedish blonds.

After reading this article, it really puts a new spin on all those 'I must have this or that improvement' threads. I realized that, good idea or not, sometimes BTS just had to say no. It gives a good feeling for the amount of work that went into this game, that's for sure. Super interesting.

DeanCo--

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OsinO:

Hmm $125,000 to make the game. Not very much at all, which is good. Probably because they didnt go to stores smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm reasonably sure that the $125K number is just out-of-pocket costs (CD's, duplication, manual, software, hardware, etc.)

Salaries for 3 years are NOT included in the number. Just think what Steve & Charles could have made as salaries working outside the game industry for three years...quite a bit more than $125K I'd say smile.gif.

To me, that's the true obstacle to independent developers making quality games. Not only do you need the talent, but you also have to have the financial wherewithal to forgo a steady-paying job while you're making the game. That, or only work on the game in your spare time, which will substantially elongate the time to make it.

Fascinating read--also very interesting to see what was going on in the background while you were reading the forum.

--Philistine

Great article Basil. I always kinda get a gushy, warm feeling whenever I read Charles or Steve talk about how much this board contributed to the development of the game. I makes ya feel like you were part of someting good (not me of course I usually just made silly posts).

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC