Feature Requests

Aesir

Greetings:

I've downloaded and played the demo for much of the past two days, and submitted my order for this game today. I suppose that's one way to say 'thank you' to those involved in maintaining this product and making it available to me. smile.gif

I've two (related) feature requests regarding user interface:

1) The Information Line - I'd like to see that part of the interface moveable/sizeable. Ideally, as a "Detachable" and "Dockable" (to the main map) window. I'd like this window to have scrollbars such that information displayed there can be reviewed.

2) Also relating to The Information Line - I'd like to have the option of outputting the data displayed in that line to a log file.

Of the two requests, request #1 is more convenient and functional (and thus, more valuable to me) for what I am trying to accomplish.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Things I would like to see in the simulation.

Larger screen.

Many of the maps are very small. And unless I change my display size, or set the default screen size smaller for the game (something very hard to do for most pc users) then the size is just too small.

Benefit:

Map would be larger. Units would appear larger, and more easily recognizable.

Better representation of units in both Mil standard, and Representational graphic.

Easier to identify what is what.

Better mix of Air Support

AC-130 Gunship

F-16 with current Weapons (stand off firing.)

EC-130H etc

Mix Current Intel.

Like the “ Fog or war” in a mixed way.

Such as being able to see some Enemy units, but still not have a clear picture of the enemy lines.

I should say I have been using this from the very first one. My first copy was for a MAC.

Very nice over all, a great tool for commanders at all levels, and Services. Lots of very nice , very good work.

If you lose the tactical battle on the ground, you have lost it all.

[ February 11, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: HardThunder ]

Originally posted by HardThunder:

Things I would like to see in the simulation.

Better mix of Air Support

AC-130 Gunship

F-16 with current Weapons (stand off firing.)

EC-130H etc

We've got several discussions related to new air support items going on WarfareHQ. So far we've got ideas on how to do JDAMs, JSOW, Maverick, and strafing runs.

AC-130 is problematic. It doesn't just pop in and out like a fast-mover. It loiters in the target area and should logically be subject to ground fire. Several people have asked for that but there are few solid ideas on how to make it work.

• 1 month later...

hoo-boy!! A wish list for improvements to my favorite game.

In no specific order they are:

a) Smarter Helicopters! Aircav pilots live by masking behind trees and scanning. Their Tacops counterparts are not real good at this. Masking ought to be a flight level option. Also when shot at they run straight back, not very tactical. (of course I've never been in a Kiowa being engaged by a ZSU, I might just go straight back)

B) Realistic Resupply. Clicking a button shames the young 88M sneaking a Hemmit up towards the frontline to do a FARP or a tailgate resupply. I know you can do a work around, but this is a wish list.

c) Have arty fire blind grids better. The new gun systems are awesome and can get unobserved rounds on target in a few seconds and like my old PSG once said "Arty is way better than horseshoes or hand grenades"

d) I want to build maps and have the AI analyze them and react. I also want a wet bar put in my Brad, but hey it's a wish list. Seriously though. I think a map editor for single player games would help old hands like me. I can't always find someone else to play and I really do have most of the maps memorized. Plus it'd be nice to do the local AO for training.

e) Did they ever publish a fix for the savegame? Used to be I couldn't reload a saved game. I'd have Tacops miniaturized for days at work. Drove the IMO nuts.

I'm sure there's more, but this is all my caffeine addled brain can compile right now. As a disclaimer, I am not playing the latest version.

>B) Realistic Resupply. Clicking a button shames the young 88M sneaking a

>Hemmit up towards the frontline to do a FARP or a tailgate resupply.

TacOps4 has optional logistics package markers which can be moved around on vehicles to serve as a source for resupply points.

>Did they ever publish a fix for the savegame? Used to be I couldn't reload

>a saved game.

If that was ever a bug then it was fixed so long ago that I have forgotten it. Not being able to load a saved game file would be a very big deal.

You can download a 15 meg demo of TacOps4 from http://www.battlefront.com/downloads.html

I will note as regards point "a", that you can get better behavior from the helicopters, but you have to do it manually. You can move them about using the delayed orders and have them pop-up for 15 seconds at a time using the altitude controls. That gives you pretty good tactics, in that NOE flying keeps them mostly out of trouble and the pop-ups, as long as spread out in time and space give firing opportunities with minimal risk.

As for the evasive action SOP, I find it not particluarly useful, since it sends the choppers all over the place, especially on the small maps. I don't use it, since it is too unpredictable.