Face Textures

I noticed that there are new face textures and stuff and say the nice big o' Mustashes on the Germans and Allies. Now I Could see those on British and Commenwealth soldiers, but it's VERY RARE to see them on Americans but mostly GERMAN Soldiers. I Guess I'll have to change them Myselves...

MG

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

What? You mean that's not how Jamie Far is in real life? wink.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

Except on Soviet propaganda posters I don't think I have EVER seen a bearded German soldier...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that had something to do with gas masks, IIRC. If you have a full beard you can as well not wear one. Moustaches (also fondly known as 'Rotzbremse') are not a problem. On all the pictures my grand-dad has, not one soldier has a beard or moustache. Or maybe because it is another place for the lice to crawl?

------------------

Andreas

Facial hair was indeed frowned upon by the German Army ... they liked to be perceived with that young natural "Aryan" type look ... But although it was frowned upon, it was not totally inforced ... I have a number of books that show pictures of German Soldiers with facial hair, beards, and mustaches ... Beards were seen quite often in the Kriegsmarine ... There were regulations on mustaches, most of the ones you see in books are the little square "Hitler" type mustaches. They were authorized but usually only grown by the old timers. The other type was the "Galland" or "pencil thin" mustache, that the German Ace Adolf Galland made famous in Germany. So all in all, they were worn, but as a whole ... still were not very common in the German Army. biggrin.gif

You can see a photo of Galland (and his mustache) here ... eek.gif

http://members.aol.com/geobat66/galland/galland.jpg

~G

[This message has been edited by Gespenster (edited 05-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gespenster (edited 05-05-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

I have pictures in several books with German soldiers in WW II (East and West too!) not only with scraggly beards but some even with goatees and moustaches...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iggi:

Show me just one picture with long hair</A><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, (and this is quite funny, and also absolutely not true) I once read (mid eighties, I believe) an extremely cheapo Dutch tabloid paper that featured an article plus picture of a bearded and longhaired "German," complete with helmet and greatcoat. This man was claimed to be stationed in the Dutch "Waddeneilanden" Atlantikwall section (virtually non existant) and had only just found out the war was over and left his bunker. smile.gif

He looked like a hippy that had been standing in the rain too long. wink.gif

The B+W movie from CC3 has a German soldier with a full on beard getting a medal smile.gif

Its more common in Russia I guess tongue.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

A lot of this short hair and lack of facial hair probably has a lot to do about lice. Being in the field for months at a time without a bath will tend you to get lice and other critters living in your hair. Best way in getting around this is to cut your hair short.

Also, not seeing many SS troopers with facial hair? This is probably due to them being too young to grow it! By the Bulge, soldiers who were 19 years of age were considered to be old and veterans of the regular army.

Guest Big Time Software

Beards were around more than the regs would have you think, but they still weren't what I would call "common". First, what you have to do is ignore all propaganda pictures of German troops taken by German photographers. They would probably avoid taking shots of beared soldiers for the simple reason that facial hair was (is) seen as a sign of being in the line too long. No need to remind the folks back home of that!

It is easy to understand two situations that would bring about beards...

1. WINTER! It is no lie. A thick beard is a big plus in the cold.

2. Lack of rest. Keeping one's hair kept neat requires water, razors, shaving cream (to some degree!), etc. Try that when you are in a foxhole for a week solid smile.gif Some guys I know can have a beard thicker than mine (2 years in the making) in that short a length of time.

Whenever I think of a picture of a German soldier with a beard I generally think of two places. Anywhere on the Eastern Front after 1942, or the forests on the borders of Germany. Normandy and prior to 1941 I just don't see it being that common.

Steve

I feel compelled to offer an unsolicited opinion on the facial hair issue.....

I don't care for the number of soldiers

I'm seeing in the screenshots who have

mustaches. I realize some soldiers did

have them, but the scraggly "hasn't been able to shave for a couple of weeks" look

would be much more palatable for me.

------------------

Darryl

Heh heh, reminds me of that scene in "Das Boot" where they have that party on the ship in Spain... smile.gif All the officials were dressed up and shaven, and then the Submariners come on board for the party held to honor them. Everyone except one of the members (he was an ardent Nazi), had beards, mustaches, sweaty, etc.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

In regards to facial hair (specifically beards), as was mentioned earlier I also thought that beards hindered proper use of gas masks (can't get a tight seal). Although not strictly on topic (not ww2), this belief came back to me a few months ago, when I saw a Canadian soldier in Kosovo on the news. I was actually a bit mortified by his appearance - he had one of those camo floppy hats on (our gov't doesn't seem to want to provide our soldiers with helmets - floppy hats and baseball caps are all they provide*blah, and really baggy, scruffy looking fatigues and I swear to God he looked like one of the guys from ZZ Top with a HUGE beard! There was no way, imo, that he could slap a gas mask over that monstrousity, and in a peace keeping mission, crowd control would (and has) required using teargas, etc, so this guy would have to use his beard to wipe the tears and snot from his face if he was ever involved in something like that.

My only consolation was that I'd read somewhere that a true measure of an army's capability was in their dress - the armies that dress up to the 9s (all fancy like) are historically not as capable as the rougher, barebones looking soldiers. ..and if that's true, then this guy I saw must be the Candian version of freakin' Rambo!

..Sorry to sway off topic. smile.gif

-Shriker