damn resoultions

I'll probably need more info on your computer to give you more accurate feedback (i.e. - what Voodoo driver version you are using; what Windows version you have, like 98 Second Edition; what color depth & resolution you are running, what version of Direct X you're running, etc.).

Make sure that your monitor is defined in the Display control panel. An "unknown" monitor type may not allow you to support certain resolutions. Often you may not find your particular monitor listed (a lot of Taiwanese clone monitors run into this issue), but it may be a Plug-N-Play monitor, which should be a sufficient "description" for it.

Next you may want to check out 3dfx's website and find the latest driver for your board. Since 3dfx is the only company putting out the Voodoo3 chipset cards (to my knowledge) the drivers on their website should work fine.

These are the WHQL drivers, which should be stable, but aren't the latest (at the bottom of the page, note the requirement for Direct X 7): http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=15

These are the BETA drivers (which also require Direct X 7): http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=1670

Follow the instructions listed on the page for the driver you decide to install.

Video driver updates probably won't fix your problem, but it is nice to have the latest since most updates fix some problems (and, uh.. sometimes cause them too, so be careful and have a previous driver available to reinstall).

I'd also suggest "killing" any other running programs before launching CM and also play around with different resolutions and color depths to see if this has any effect on how CM will load up.

There may also be some control panel settings (Control Panels - Display - Settings tab - Advanced button - and possibly some 3dfx tabs will show up) that you can adjust. The 3dfx tabs may have some settings for Direct X, set MipMapping to 1+, Fogging effects can be on (but the demo probably doesn't use this Direct X feature). If you can describe any of the options you have in these tabs, individuals on this board can probably make some recommendations on what to set them to for optimal CM play.

I had the same problem a while back with my Voodoo 3. I played for weeks at 640 x 480 (and was still recommending the game to everyone I know). One day I went to my Program Files, then into a the Direct X folder. Inside that was a Direct X Setup icon. Clicking on that immediately brought up a box giving me the option to turn on Direct 3D Acceleration Hardware. Not sure why it was off, but after switching it to on, I'm now playing at 1152 x 864.

Matt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

I play on 1152 x 864 with the beta. I only have a crappy old Voodoo2 clone<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what other video card do you have? Because, a single Voodoo2 can only display resolutions up to 800x600, perhaps 1024x768 without z-buffer. There's no way to get a Voodoo2 (or even 2 of them) to display 1152x864 (I have one myself).

Dschugaschwili

What are you pple saying???? That I can play CM-demo in different resolutions??? I've looked for .ini files but haven't found any. How do I change the resolution anyway?

Btw I got an Elsa Geforce.

If I could change resolution it would give the demo a new boost for me smile.gif

Howardb,

Go into the combat mission folder and delete out the prefs file. Change the resolution of your desktop to whatever you want [right click on the desktop and go into settings],, i run CM at 1280X1024 with a GeForce card on a 21" monitor and have an incredible frame rate. When you start the game, it will set it to your resolution but you will have to re-adjust your settings you may have had.

Rune

Umm, it's a Maxi Gamer Phoenix which I always thought was based on the Voodoo 2.

I generally run away screaming from anything "technical" to do with computers though so I may be wrong in this.

Anyone tell me what card it is I DO have then?

BTW. 63% system resources free. OUCH ! I foresee a major cleanup of my system resources in the future.. Anyone know any good free and downloadable from the net software for this?

I tried the enabling Direct3d, it was already enabled, and i tried deleting the PREFs file, Still no luck

So more info on my system may be needed,

Celeron500mhz

Voodoo3 2000pci, 1.041 (the newest drivers, got them last night)

Win98,

Direct X 7.0b (ithink?)

and I AN ONLY STILL RUN CM IN 640by480

real anyoyying,

so any other was that might get it working fine????

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Umm, it's a Maxi Gamer Phoenix which I always thought was based on the Voodoo 2.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, that explains a lot. The Maxi Gamer Phoenix is based on the 3dfx Banshee chipset. While it's not that different from a Voodoo2 3d-wise, it has a built-in 2d part and more memory, but only one texture unit.

And it can display higher resolutions in 3d mode.

Of course, "crappy old Voodoo2 clone" is not all that wrong when regarding this wink.gif

Dschugaschwili

Syphon,

Check the screen settings...what is your desktop running in? The game will run at the resolution that your desktop is set at. Again, remove preferences, check the desktop settings, change to say 800X600, then re-launch the game, it should get you in 800X600 unless you are having problems with drivers. Check to make sure you have newest drivers.

Rune

Um, my video cant run in 800by600, it makes a leap from 640by480 to 712by680 to 914bysomthing, then 1074by800, and keeps going up right till 1600by1200 or something(i can set it to 800by600 with some playing around with the settings), and i have the latest drivers, i have the stable ones, not the NEW BETA ones though.

and when i delete the CM prefs file, it makes a new one, that is set some how for 640by480 THERES NO WAY TO CHANGE IT SEEMS (DAMN MY VOODOO)

maybe there is a program the developers could make to edit the prefs, or atleast put a resoulution control in the options menu.

And my last solution. I have 2 video cards in my comp, the voodoo3 2000 PCI (my primary) and a Rage 3d IIC AGP(or something like that) I can use the two video cards with win 98 to make an extened desktop, but could i seperate the two cards so that i could run CM through the RAGE?????

Syphon

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Syphon,

I got your email but it seems this is the best place to find the answer.

The advice above is about all we can give you. The Voodoo 3 is perfectly capable of running CM at resolutions over 640x480. Lots of people are doing it. However, PC video drivers and API support sucks eggs to say the least smile.gif Although we have improved support since the Beta, it still will never be perfect because most card companies can't write drivers to save their lives. Couple this with plenty of design problems and bugs with DirectX and you get a huge honking mess! BTW, having the latest and greatest drivers doesn't mean they work correctly.

CM will run at the resolution your monitor is set for UNLESS it can't propperly communicate with the drivers. We simply ask the driver and the driver returns the value. But because the drivers are often buggy (did I mention that yet? smile.gif) the value returned is either incorrect or garbage, generally making CM default to 640x480 because all cards can support that.

You might also be having problems because you have two video cards. Windows' support for multiple cards can best be described as an ugly hack. It is highly possible that this is causing the problems.

Yeah, I know this post isn't much help, but if the advice from other Voodoo 3 owners isn't helping there isn't much we can do for you at this point. Perhaps things will be different with the final thing as we have figured out some hack arounds.

Steve

Syphon,

First the legal disclaimer....if you try this I am not responsible for anything that happen to your computer. OK, now that that is out of the way, go into settings, control panel, devices. Go to video cards and disable the Rage. reset the screen to 800X600 for the voodoo and see what happens. If you can't do anything, just boot in safe mode, enable the rage back and you will be back at where you started. This gives you a POSSIBLE workaround without having to remove drivers and cards first.

Rune

Syphon-

I also have a Voodoo 3 2000 pci. The problem is the new drivers. 800x600 is not available with these drivers. If you check the 3dfx newsgroups or messageboards, there are MANY people with this problem. I would suggest switching back to the 1.03 drivers, it worked for me.

Hope this helps-

Jekell

Guest Big Time Software

Syphon,

Just so you know - the "full" version of Combat Mission will allow you to select which graphics card to use if you have two of them, like in your case. So you won't have to tear out one of the cards to use the other.

A possible reason the beta demo defaults to 640x480 on your system is the nonstandard higher settings your card has ("712by680 to 914bysomthing, then 1074by800" ? These are truly weird! Honestly I have never heard of them before and the CM beta demo never "targets" these resolutions, so that's why you skip right to 640x480). The full version of CM handles this more intelligently.

Charles

I had a joy with the mighty star screwdriver, and cracked the case on my comp, i relized, the Rage is built right in to the mother board.

there is how ever a jumper for assorted things, along with a jumper for the RAGE, just flick the switch over, and the RAGE is disabled, completely, until i flick the switch back, Hope it works

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jekell:

Syphon-

I also have a Voodoo 3 2000 pci. The problem is the new drivers. 800x600 is not available with these drivers. If you check the 3dfx newsgroups or messageboards, there are MANY people with this problem. I would suggest switching back to the 1.03 drivers, it worked for me.

Hope this helps-

Jekell<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ill just switch back to 1.01, i have the CD for it so.

I got high resolution with my voodoo3000, doing the following. And it was simple. I uninstalled CM, made sure my screen settings were what i wanted and reinstalled. CM configured itself to the new sceen size.

Lorak

------------------

-------------------------

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. Without my rifle I am useless. Without me, my rifle is useless...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Yeah, I agree with guachi...

"Plug-N-PRAY !" eek.gif

And those are some freakin' weird resolutions on that card. Some idiot was probably trying to see what he could do with the RAMDAC...

Hopefully the older drivers work for you. As Steve & Charles pointed out, sometimes the newer drivers are even buggier than the older ones. It literally comes down to "experimentation" with which driver, Direct X version, etc. will do what you want. Of course the next game you install will usually proceed to trash all of your hard work with an idiotic installer changing everything on you. mad.gif