Wargamers, PLEASE Read!!! Important info!

PLEASE do NOT post any specific scenario information to this board without clearly labeling BOTH the message header AND the beginning of your text as "SPOILER INFO"!

A 'spoiler' is anything which gives away information about a scenario that no honorable wargamer would want to know in advance.

Many of us are playing "blind" Combat Mission scenarios for the first time, and do not wish to accidentally get any foreknowledge of enemy forces.

We welcome your questions and comments, but if you wish to talk about specific scenarios, PLEASE put "SPOILER" somewhere in the message header (its title), and put "SPOILER" followed by several lines of empty text in the first line of the actual message. Use the X and Enter keys to create extra lines. For example:

SPOILER INFORMATION FOLLOWS:

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

"While assaulting the walls of Blutburg (text body), etc."

Combat Mission has created a very dedicated and honorable online community and this board is its focus. We welcome you to the board and this incredible game, and WE APPRECIATE YOUR COOPERATION.

Wanted to drive this back up the list again. Thanks Mark IV. I agree fully. Quite a few of us are outside the US and want to keep looking at the BBS while we wait and don't want our experience ruined.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Guest Germanboy

Back up for the Europeans

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Guest MantaRay

No offense to all of you who are worried about spoilers, but why do you think you have the right to tell people to edit their posts because you dont want to hear spoilers? I mean, people who post spoilers have just as much right to post as they wish...just as you do.

I think peoples reviews can only help BTS meet its sales goals, and depictions are a good way for a game such as this to sell to the tweeners who aren't sold on this game yet.

And getting upset about people not putting SPOILERS in the title is just being a bit nit-picky anyway.

Besides, how many of you wanted information from the beta-testers?

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

No offense to all of you who are worried about spoilers, but why do you think you have the right to tell people to edit their posts because you dont want to hear spoilers? I mean, people who post spoilers have just as much right to post as they wish...just as you do.

I think peoples reviews can only help BTS meet its sales goals, and depictions are a good way for a game such as this to sell to the tweeners who aren't sold on this game yet.

And getting upset about people not putting SPOILERS in the title is just being a bit nit-picky anyway.

Besides, how many of you wanted information from the beta-testers?

Ray

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, people posting spoilers ruin other peoples fun and enjoyment. I don't think it is too much to ask that some minor editing and warning is done, and I think that the majority on the board will agree. I am not telling you to do anything, neither does anybody else. And we don;t have a right to tell anybody anything, but we have a right to kindly ask you to protect our enjoyment of the game. That is what we do here, and nothing else. And we have taken the liberty to suggest a way that we think is not a lot of bother, and that would help achieve that. Haven't you noticed the big 'please', the first word in this thread? What is your problem exactly?

Personally I find that what we ask for is just common courtesy, and you are at your liberty to disagree with me.

Nobody has a problem with reviews of scenarios, the issue is about choice to read or not read them.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Gboy has said it best. I did post the text of this in 2 different threads and solicit comments.

It doesn't TELL anybody anything, it ASKS (starts with "please", ends with a "thank you"). No penalties are attached for failure to comply (though that might make an interesting thread topic).

We wanted to know all about the GAME from the beta testers, but not what to expect from the enemy in specific SCENARIOS. This is a big planet and it is a simple courtesy, to many in the US as well as the furriners.

I have NO authority here and you may post what you wish. It was a simple request for courtesy, kind've like using your turn signal in traffic.

Guest Germanboy

One other thing I just remembered - this argument 'at some point we have all played all the demo scenarios and then it won't matter' does not really wash. Steve and Charles want to continue selling this game once the refreshing monkeys currently hiding in this den, err, BBS have been served. There will be a continuous influx of new players to this board from now. How happy do people here think they will be when they come here, after parting with their money, and they immediately see their game enjoyment being ruined by some inconsiderate poster.

------------------

Andreas

Guest MantaRay

MarkIV Wrote:

<<I have NO authority here and you may post what you wish. It was a simple request for courtesy, kind've like using your turn signal in traffic.>>

Well, actually, not using the turn signal or hand signals when turning is a violation of the vehicle code in every US state I have been in. smile.gif

But my point wasn't for ppl to try to ruin your fun, but that with people just getting the game, some may just be too excited to remember to post with SPOILERS in the title. So getting bent out of shape will not be the right thing to do IMO.

Besides, there are 50 scenarios that ship with the game, and you can always just hit the random generator button. wink.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harold Jones:

Does this mean that every time I want to contribute to a discussion about a scenario or ask a question about one, that I will have to put SPOILER or POTENTIAL SPOILER at the begining of the post for as long as the game is discussed on this or any board? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that is why I am campaigning for a special spoiler area or forum. But the way it should work out is that if the thread is about a scenario, ideally it would have the warning in the topic, so you would not have to post it when you post in the thread. If you post a topic about a scenario, just put 'Spoiler' in the topic. If you have a question about a scenario that is raised by a discussion about, let's say, river crossings, and you feel it is necessary to mention the scenario name, and you feel that your question could spoil it for other people, then I and others would think it would be nice of you to put a warning at the beginning.

Mantaray, I am glad we cleared that up. And the excitement is exactly the reason why we have this thread - it might stop the over-excited in their tracks.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harold Jones:

Does this mean that every time I want to contribute to a discussion about a scenario or ask a question about one, that I will have to put SPOILER or POTENTIAL SPOILER at the begining of the post for as long as the game is discussed on this or any board? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harold, those who read with the "Next Newest Topic" link are always taken to the top of the first page of that next thread. So if the first post is identified as a spoiler thread, you're covered- the follow-ups can be presumed to be un-secure.

If you decide to introduce spoiler information into a previously "safe" thread, the polite thing to do would be to post the SPOILER message followed by the blank lines.

I don't think everyone will follow this, but it really is well-intentioned toward both the regulars, and newcomers who will surely be flamed for not knowing the rules.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Harold, those who read with the "Next Newest Topic" link are always taken to the top of the first page of that next thread. So if the first post is identified as a spoiler thread, you're covered- the follow-ups can be presumed to be un-secure.

If you decide to introduce spoiler information into a previously "safe" thread, the polite thing to do would be to post the SPOILER message followed by the blank lines.

I don't think everyone will follow this, but it really is well-intentioned toward both the regulars, and newcomers who will surely be flamed for not knowing the rules.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hadn't looked at from that angle since I never use the next newest topic thingy. My hope is that people will be understanding of those who inadvertantly post spoiler material. Granted I should know better than to ask a question about the Brumbar in the production version of Riesburg without putting in the spoiler warning but people should be aware that mistakes do happen and that coming down on the poster with both boots isn't necessarily the best way to correct the situation.

------------------

If something cannot be fixed by hitting it or by swearing at it, it wasn't worth saving anyway.

What might help remind the new posters to the forum that spoilers should be announced is a big message at the beginning of the text you get when you register for the forum. That might reduce the number of times this thread has to be repeated/revived.