How to change textures

Hey Francesco,

Welcome to the forum. Textures are .bmp files (bitmaps) found in your MBP subdirectory under the CMBO one on your disk.

You can go to TGN http://combathq.thegamers.net/index.html

to get packs of new bitmaps (called mods). All you need to do is unpack them to your BMP directory and overwrite the old BMP files.

Make sure though you keep a copy of your existing BMP directory, or use the BMP directory from the CMBO CD, to overwrite your changes, in case you don't like the new textures.

Not sure if mods work with the demo (why not though?). Buy CMBO and say goodbye to Real Life. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 12-06-2000).]

Easy.

You just copy in the new ones into the BMP folder in the CMBO folder

In fact, you can change EVERYTHING in CM. I hardly use a stock texture anywhere. This includes terrain, user interface, units, etc.

The textures on EVERYTHING are just BMPs (on the PC version anyways), all the mods are BMPs, so you just copy in the new ones to replace the older ones.

To start off, I would suggest downloading and installing DD's Total Foilage Pack including grass, snow, trees, and tree bases. Then download and install Panzertruppen's Buildings. This will really give CM a great look. You can find these mods all at CMHQ under the 3rd Part Mods section. There's another great mod site at Kump's CM Outpost.

Also you may wanna check out the Mad Dog Mod Packs (MDMP) at CMHQ, they contain some cool Hi-Res vehicles as well as terrain and such, but the above mentioned terrain sets are most preferred. There's also some mods listed on this board that are not on any site, unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

PS. You can also download and install new sounds as well. Get the MDMP sounds fist, then get Ncrawler's Sound Mod v1.6. Except I use the MDMP MG42 sounds instead. Sounds will go into the WAV folder.

You can use any mods in the demo if the demo has those things you wish to replace. There are no bridges in the demo so if you installed a bridge mod you wouldn't see it. But trees and uniforms and grass and such can be modded.

Mord

Francesco,

If you are a mac user, you are in luck as there are two mod managers for CM. They only work for the mac, but make the process easier, and faster.

So, if you do use a mac, check out CMHQ, third party mods section, and find the mac mod manager section. You'll find MCM3 v 1.5 (with sound mod support), and CM Mac Mod.

If you use a PC, you'll have to do it manually for now, though I heard that someone was working on a mod manager for the PC. havent heard much about it lately though.

best,

d

ave

If this is the same Francesco that e-mailed me several days ago asking about this I tried to reply but for some odd reason my isp e-mail will not let me send mail to you (in Italy?). Not sure why, something about not able to send to a secure server.

Anyways, you'll need a good paint program; I use picture publisher-8. Photoshop is good but somewhat pricey. Jasc paintshop pro 7 is ok too though it handles masks horribly.

Use different textures you can find off the net or make your own, experiment using masks, hue maps and overlaying the textures.

-john

Guest Mikey D

Once you've found your feet with the game, you can open the default graphics files and make your OWN edits (if you have a suitable graphics program, of course). Me, all my light buildings are now weathered wood clapboard. With a really nice barn thrown in. This game is simply amazing.

Just to make it a little clearer for you Francesco, you don't have to make the mods yourself. There a plenty of wonderful mods available for you to download and paste into your BMP folder. The link coralsaw gave is a great one, but there are others as well. But if you do want to make your own mods, I'm sure Tiger can help you since he does some of the best work.