Flamethrowers Suck!!

K, flamethrowers really stink and are preety unrealistic.

I sent one right up to a guy

He musta fired about 5-6 flames and the enemy still wasnt dead

then soon later the flame thrower was killed.

Has anyone else used and just hated flamethrowers?

Keep in mind that each unit represents a team or squad. Did the flames at least kill SOME of the men in the attack?

Unfortunately, the only time I got a flamethrower team close enough to attack, it was a disaster:

They waited around a building corner as a tiger approached. There was no place to run, so my plan was to ambush the Tiger, flame it, possibly kill the commander and force a button up, and then hit it from afar with a Tank killer...

Well, they fired a tad too early, set the house aflame... and then slowly walked away from the burning building as the Tiger rounded the corner and blasted them to oblivion...

I noticed that the German flamethrower half tracks blow up very easily.

smile.gif

I haven't been able to use flamethrowers successfully either, except maybe to blast a building, to make sure the enemy wouldn't be able to use it. (I know it's gamey, and I remember the long thread about that, but I couldn't affort to let my opponent walk into that building!!! )

I have had good success with flamethrowers in a defensive role more than offense...good thing to do is hide them and wait for the unwary infantry...they will do alot of damage quickly...on offense flame vehicles arent to bad and have done me some good but thier survivability under my command to this point is nil.

[This message has been edited by Jagdwyrm (edited 10-01-2000).]

I hate infantry flamers, but I LOVE Wasps...so quick, inexpensive, and yet so deadly when used right.

I've got a question - In CC2 I remember one of the best ways to kill a tank was to flame it. Now, since CM is a bit more realistic then CC2, I just wanted to find out if this is still the case. What is the heaviest armor that succumbs to flamethrower fire?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Hey,

I have found flamethrowers very effective once you learn to employ them. I have had a German flamethrower hiding in ambush blow up an M5A1, and I have routed entire units with them. The trick is approaching under cover, then suppressing the hell out of your target while the flamethrower makes it approach.

They are fantastic at denying terrain as well. If there is some really obvious attack route that you want to deny the enemy, light it on fire. Troops won't enter burning terrain (and they flee terrain that is lit on fire while they are in it). Another great use is flushing infantry out of buildings or woods.

Anyway, point being, they are very powerful if used properly. And I have seen (only once) a flamethrower kill an entire American Infantry squad in 3 shots.

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I haven't been able to use flamethrowers successfully either, except maybe to blast a building, to make sure the enemy wouldn't be able to use it. (I know it's gamey, and I remember the long thread about that, but I couldn't affort to let my opponent walk into that building!!! )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's gamey about that? If it is part of a plan, then I say "Go for it."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

What is the heaviest armor that succumbs to flamethrower fire?

Thanks in advance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it seems like the very first scenario I played when I got my game back in late June, a flamer was hiding in a building (unbeknownst to me) when I drove a Panther G up the road towards it and then all of a sudden out comes some flame from nowhere and "catostrophically" blows up my Panther. And I was like "Damn!"

Don't know about if they'll work against Tigers or JgPzs.

------------------

All that sleeps, awakens...

All that awakens, hungers...

All that hungers, feeds...

Guest barrold713

While I haven't seen a suddenly eliminated FT brew up in CM, attempting to use them in ways that they are not meant is a quick way to get a crispy critter.

However, I have used them very effectively in ambush while hiding in covered areas I thought infantry was going to try to go through as mentioned in a previous post. They have the ability to completely ruin some poor schmucks day.

On the attack, I can affirm the position that the target needs to be well suppressed before attempting to get the FT close enough for effective use. I think the game accurately reflects historical usage. IIRC, the lifespan of these units on the frontline was not worth worrying about a pension plan.

I am also sure there are earlier threads that would have more specific information about correct the appropriate deployment of these units.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Thanks for the answer, Maximus!

Here's another one (also from CC coincidently):

When flamethrowers get killed in CC, they sometimes blow up due to their fuel tanks getting hit by the bullet. I have never seen this happen in CM, and I thought the blowing up bit "seemed" pretty realisitc. After all, those tanks are huge and are not bullet proof, and machine gun bullets have a high enough velocity to pass straight through a man's body and pierce that piece of tin...

I remember an unpleasant incident in CC where an entire squad was taken out because a mortar rough landed close enough to a flame thrower to hut one of it's fuel tanks.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

Seriously Slappy?

I always though if you shot at a gas tank full of flammable liquid with a gun, it would explode...then again, I've never really shot at gas tanks of flammable liquid so who am I to tell *shrug*

Thanks for the answer though!

------------------

I forced a Sherman to abandon in a PBEM with a flamer. They work well for pillboxes and buildings, but as noted the enemy must be suppressed to get the FT in range.

I don't see anything gamey about lighting all the buildings you want. If it makes tactical sense, do it. They do not explode when hit, in CM.

FTs are just another tool in the box and have their purposes. You just need to learn how and when to use them. What were you expecting them to do?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I don't see anything gamey about lighting all the buildings you want. If it makes tactical sense, do it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with MarkedforDeath on this one. How could this be gamey? Is it "gamey" to shoot HE into buildings in case there are enemy troops hiding in there? If you've got the ammo, use it. May as well say artillery is gamey as well.

I've had some good success with flamethrowers, both troops and vehicles. They do tend to be very vulnerable though, so suppression / screening is essential on the attack, and ambush is de rigour on the defence.

They are especially good in scenarios with limited visibility, as they have a chance to get close enough to do some damage.

.02c

OberGrupenStompinFeuhrer

The reason you don't see it much is that you have to puncture BOTH (or in the M1936's case all three) tanks to get an explosion, since it's a mixture, hit one tank, you only get half the mix. cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Guest *Captain Foobar*

As this thread says, that flamethrowers suck, I want you ALL to take note, and please don't buy flamethrowers to use against me.

Thank You

The thing on flamethrowers exploding is simply because they seem like they would, but the fuel in the tank is not under a lot of pressure, and it is not gas-[etrol (usually) but something flamable with a tar or pitch added to it. The thing under pressure is nittogen or some other inertish gas.

A flamethrower tank can be very dangerous to the user, and anyone else that can get splashed with the fuel, but it does not explode and take out whole companies in real life, only in CC2.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

I love flamethrowers. I almost always buy engineer platoons in QBs. Very effective in attack or defense... so long as you use them correctly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wondered how long it would be before you chimed in Berli...what with your (in)famous reputation for using them at every possible opportunity. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.