A Common Emailer

Lately I have experienced problems sending attached CM turns to some (not all) of my opponents from corrupted files to files embedded in the email message.

I mainly use Eudora Lite which works most of the time with other PBEM opponents but now I having to resort to Pegasus which seems to work in a little for better for my other opponents who are experiencing problems receiving attachemnts.

Don't know if this is possible but it would be nice if everyone used the same Emailer to avoid problems.

My vote would be for Eudora Lite for its simplicity.

Are any others having PBEM problems also?

Can't wait for the TCP/IP patch smile.gif

RW

I found that PBEM files above a certain file size tend to corrupt some email programs (communicator, eudora) if they are attached as a txt file (apparently since these programs will incorporate the game file into the message body).

try to zip them (it will save you 25% file size, = email DL time, too) and see if the problems remain.

------------------

"Rule#7: All players must follow the rules." (Rob/1)

Usually that is my first recourse when I have a problem sending a file is to zip it up.

When that fails I am lost for what to do except try to send the file zipped up thru another Emailer like Pegasus or Outlook but my first preference is always Eudora Lite.

RW

After putting up with web-based yahoo and fumbling wiht MS internet mail I finally switched to Netscape 4.6 and it has been doing real good. MS internet mail did not deal well with AOL, and yahoo doesn't handle jack well, but Netscape looks to be good. But just as a suggestion to BTS: drop the .txt format of PBEM files. It seems to cause many a headache.

WWB

Guest dirkd1976

I'm also using Outlook and I have never had a problem with any corrupted files or anything else for that matter. *GASP* A Microsoft product that actually works? It must be a fluke. Great now I've jinked myself. When I get home and start up my PC its going to burst into flames....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

I use Netscape 4.73 (I'll get the update soon!)

It's reliable and funtional as well as acceptably fast. What more do you want?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would pass on the upgrade... Netscape worked reasonably well for me 'til the upgrade... in the end I junked it and went to IE. Netscape has kinda slippped quality wise in the last couple of releases. (and lest this degerate into a NS/IE pissing contest, the comments expressed are strictly my own, and do not form official opinion by either Netscape or Microsoft , and should not be construed as 'forward looking' statements by either of the aforementioned browser developers.)

Tailz

If you and your opponent are "always on" type users(cable, DSL or T1), or want a "fast" single on-line session CM game, then Yahoo Messenger works GREAT!

You don't have to be a Yahoo Mail user to get it, it's free, and it allows simply sending a file by right clicking on your opponent's name in your "friend's" list.

It's very much like ICQ; it runs in the background all the time if you want, and you can message your opponent at any time during a game. In 5-6 "fast" PBEM games using it I have never had ANY problems. Just save the turn in-game, alt-tab to Yahoo Messenger, right click your opponent, select "Send File" and select the file in the PBEM folder.

He receives the file INSTANTLY.

It even beeps when he sends his turn back if you are playing a solo CM game while you wait for him to plot his move.

I've also had great success starting (2) games with my opponent at once - once you are started and turns are staggered, you can be plotting your move in Game 1 while he is plotting his in game 2.

No saving your game to creat a zip file, no loading an e-mail program, no waiting. It can't be beat biggrin.gif

- Old Dog