Two quick questions

bobo

Yo!

1. I think that the CM CD comes with both the Mac and PC version on it. Is that correct?

2. Does anyone have a cheap laptop recommendation to run CM? I need to get a machine to play CM and a laptop makes the most sense. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Bobo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bobo:

Yo!

1. I think that the CM CD comes with both the Mac and PC version on it. Is that correct?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT is Correct!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

2. Does anyone have a cheap laptop recommendation to run CM? I need to get a machine to play CM and a laptop makes the most sense. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Bobo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that questions screams for me to recomend an iBook from Apple. They are Fast and thaey are always coming down in price.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-12-2000).]

WRT to the laptop question, if you need/want a PC:

I'm playing CM on a Dell C433, 96 mb RAM, Win 98SE, and for the most part it plays quite nicely.

Also, IIRC, nVidia is releasing a version of their Geforce chip for PC laptops, which should be quite nice. Dunno when they're releasing it, but it should be fairly soon.

Guest Germanboy

I recommend the iBook - I run CM on one (ordinary Tangerine), (4MB graphics memory) and it runs fine and very stable.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-12-2000).]

If you're going to purchase a laptop you should get it because of its portability or small size. A laptop is going to be more expensive and slower (for the price) than a desktop system. If price is your biggest concern (and you don't need the portability), then a desktop will (usually) serve you better.

As for choosing between a Mac and PC... that is a subjective user preference. Macs tend to cost a little bit more than PCs (but not by much for an equivalent-quality comparison).

The "megahertz" (Mhz) rating you'll see on PCs and Macs are not directly comparable since they are completely different CPUs. The Macs may look slower comparing the Mhz ratings, but a 450Mhz G4 is not slower than a 950Mhz AMD Thunderbird-based PC, etc. (but Apple is also guilty of a little hyperbole - their machines aren't twice as fast as a PC; only in a few benchmarks). The PowerPC CPUs in Macs have better floating point performance than almost any PC CPU and floating point performance is important to CM.

Thanks Schrullenhaft. I need a laptop if

I want to play any games. It is legal for me to play games on the laptop on the couch with the SO while she watches TV, but not to sit in the den and play games on a desktop PC. Sooo..... I need a cheap laptop that still runs CM. I have access to NT4.0 laptops but of course CM will not run on them. Thanks to everyone for the responses. Keep 'em coming.

Bobo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bobo:

Thanks Schrullenhaft. I need a laptop if

I want to play any games. It is legal for me to play games on the laptop on the couch with the SO while she watches TV, but not to sit in the den and play games on a desktop PC.

Bobo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the LOVE OF GAWD!

If my wife read this...

Dont ever EVER type this again. PLEASE.

smile.gif

------------------

Semper Fi.