BTS has no Idea .. or do they

The topic comes to HMG.. ok call me strange call me fluffy call call me out in left field but six guys running with a HMG is possible.. I'm sorry but one twit carrys the bipod the other the HMG and two idiots are ammo carriers and maybe one guy is carring extra barrels for the thing.. that leaves one guy to pick daisys while they are strolling oh so slowly?

I may not be the fitest guy out there but when I was in the army we had five guys for a .50cal .. that thing ain't light but we could run pretty damn fast with that thing and set it up damn quick when we got to where were were... now assuming these guys are Reg forces and have nothing better to do then learn how to stroll oooh so slowly accross open land with a HMG I would think they are fit and not 60kg weeklings.. ok ok.. I would like to see the freeking option to run with these things.. and then have maybe a set up time like field guns that just unlimbered from a vehicle.. what do you think? make sense?? ya they will be tired.. but I'm sorry lugging that .50cal around last thing we wanted it to do a stroll through open areas if we had too.. we ran and we ran... better dead tired at the treeline or cover then dead dead on the field of battle.

well thats my 2 Pf....

Hmm...

In the early 20ies a Swedish MG squad was eight men. Four to crew the gun and haul ammo, and four to prepare alternative firing positions. This way they could almost always fire from prepared positions.

Since the Swedish army has been very influenced by the Prussian/German army for the last couple of hundred years, it's not unreasonable to think that this also was the case for the six-man crew of German MG42 squads.

Cheers

Olle

Jeez Grego, do a search. tongue.gif

MadMatt, lock this troll up!

The only army Mensch was in was the Salvation army and even that ended in a dishonourable discharge for fondling their tamborines in an inappropriate manner.

------------------

Torture you? That...That's a good idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

Jeez Grego, do a search. tongue.gif

MadMatt, lock this troll up!

The only army Mensch was in was the Salvation army and even that ended in a dishonourable discharge for fondling their tamborines in an inappropriate manner.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jeez you ingrate, you have nothing better to do while building up your energies after ravaging your sex sheep!!!?? leave me alone you peck.. this is not the pool! get get back threre you swamp slug!

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

jeez you ingrate, you have nothing better to do while building up your energies after ravaging your sex sheep!!!?? leave me alone you peck.. this is not the pool! get get back threre you swamp slug!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grego - they can run. It is only your copy of the game where they can not. I bribed Charles to change the code, and everybody on the board is participating in this conspiracy. You heard it here first...

Now, am I the only one who thinks Grego is suffering from a withdrawal of medicine? maybe the city of Hanover has stopped adding the happy stuff to the water supply or somefink.

Back to the Peng thread with you Grego, bad bad mongrel dog.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-07-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dittohead:

The actual problem with MG teams running is that they will then be hit by bouncing HE shells, thus rendering them ineffective.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was also shown conclusively by T Dupuy in his post-war study on combat effectiveness entitled 'Interesting numbers and stuff that I found, which will forever be misquoted by casual pseudo-grogs on the Combat Mission Board' (US Army Press, 1948) that the German Army realised the vulnerability of running HMG teams to surprise Kitchensink Shtonks, and therefore made a slow backward crawl SOP from 26/04/1943. Consequently I regret to have to inform the community that BTS has got the modelling all wrong (what else is new), and would like to invite you to join me in a ritual burning of my copy of the game, unless Steve comes to kiss my customer butt.

------------------

Andreas

I agree. There should be a run command for all MGs. Im not saying that they should be able to run as fast as a squad or for as long a distance but it is obviously within reality that a 5 or six man team can run with a .50, .30 or MG42 HMG.

Speed penaties should further apply as more crew members are killed/wounded.

Acutally I think the WALK command is totally useless in CM. Nobody actually walks on the battlefield. You're either sprinting, jogging, sneaking, or crawling. But this is a whole other topic that needs its own thread.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

I agree. There should be a run command for all MGs. Im not saying that they should be able to run as fast as a squad or for as long a distance but it is obviously within reality that a 5 or six man team can run with a .50, .30 or MG42 HMG.

Speed penaties should further apply as more crew members are killed/wounded.

Acutally I think the WALK command is totally useless in CM. Nobody actually walks on the battlefield. You're either sprinting, jogging, sneaking, or crawling. But this is a whole other topic that needs its own thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was actually joking. I suggest you do a search on a topic that has been covered to death[/] the problem is the ammo load-out, not the weapon.

'Move', not 'Walk', where have you seen this BTW, you are playing CM I hope, simulates a slow move, but not the British Army tactics at the Somme. This has been repeatedly stated by BTS, and it simulates a slow movement across the battlefield, incorporating duck&cover, stop&shoot etc.pp. Maybe you just want to get your facts right next time, eh?

------------------

Andreas

Ammunition is heavy I agree but to strapping lads with two boxes of ammo is enough.. my god please.. and or belts strapled across thier neck.. yes.. slow but a bit faster then this "move" command.. I agree also that casulties natualy cause the unit to slow down and or loose ammo due to the fact they can not carry it all.. unless they stay on the same spot one of the ammo carriers was killed..

hmmm come to think of it, if a MG unit or HMG unit looses one of the ammo carriers and the unit sits there do they still loose the ammo from that guy..? if so ( i must check this out) kinda stupid...

"hans more ammo!"

"sorry gruppenfurher, Lars iz dead..."

"na ja and!? grab the box of ammo next to him!"

"sorry gruppenfurher, BTS programmed it that we automaticaly loose 20% our ammo load when he died!"

"damn them!… right were going to run over to those woods for a better field of fire... GO!"

"sorry gruppenfurher, we must move there.. BTS said we can't run with this SchwerGewehr!"

"damnnation! what do we do??"

"I know herr Obers!" *bang .. thud*

"aw crap Hans just died another 20% ammo lost!"

"damn you steve!"

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 12-07-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jadayne:

hehe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop laughing and send me a set-up. Didn't you want to come and get some.

All you others, move, err, walk on, nothing to see here.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Capt:

And while we are at let's talk about mortars and FT's<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FT? I thought today's edition was quite boring.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

FT? I thought today's edition was quite boring.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, sure makes it nice to only have to pay half price, eh?

What, you mean you have to pay full newstand price? Ha! ha! ha!

biggrin.gif

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Yep, sure makes it nice to only have to pay half price, eh?

What, you mean you have to pay full newstand price? Ha! ha! ha!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlike some of the half-baked morons from NY, NY known to me personally, I actually live in the 21st Century (although that is still three weeks off, but that just goes to show how far ahead I am of my time), and read it online for free. You just continue buying it, I heard they have toilet paper supply problems at the LSE. Or maybe somefink to kindle the fresh fires of Heh?

------------------

Andreas

Guest Big Time Software

This has been discussed to death at least 10 times before. If Mensch read all of that and still didn't like what he read, another thread isn't going to do much better. Every question asked here has been answered multiple times in multiple threads. Therefore, there is no need for another one. I for one am sick of repeating myself...

Steve