OT- SquadLeader previewed on gamesdomain

mg

Hope I don't sound like a traitor but this game looks like it could be fun. Another level of play to compliment CM. I would need to see a demo before buying it or see some reviews after it is released.

It looks like a game that was developed for miniatures in table top play back in the old days before computor games.

The game should have been called "Combat", after the old TV series.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Guest Big Time Software

Wayne, I for one don't think wanting to like (and if the game is good, actually liking smile.gif) the game is at all wrong. I do, however, think that most people here would strongly agree with your point about renaming the game to something other than "Squad Leader" since it appears to have little in common with the game it takes the name from.

Steve

Guest Scott Clinton

Alright, I'm going to 'buck the trend' and say that "Squad Leader" is the perfect name for this computer game.

Why? Because that is the game is supposed to be about...leading a squad, unlike the board game that had nothing to do with leading a squad.

IMO, and I would bet anyone that is not a long time gamer from the boardgame version (which I am btw) the term applies more to a game of this scale than either of AH's board game versions.

I would bet that less than 5% of the computer game's sales will be to people that have even heard of Avalon Hill let alone the old board game. Its a good name, it fits the product and they own exclusive rights to it.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

Alright, I'm going to 'buck the trend' and say that "Squad Leader" is the perfect name for this computer game.

Why? Because that is the game is supposed to be about...leading a squad, unlike the board game that had nothing to do with leading a squad.

IMO, and I would bet anyone that is not a long time gamer from the boardgame version (which I am btw) the term applies more to a game of this scale than either of AH's board game versions.

I would bet that less than 5% of the computer game's sales will be to people that have even heard of Avalon Hill let alone the old board game. Its a good name, it fits the product and they own exclusive rights to it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I read it should be called "Half a Squad Leader" with this reasoning.

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From what I read it should be called "Half a Squad Leader" with this reasoning.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point taken. smile.gif

But, it is still a better fit for the name than the board game, and AFAIK Hasbro is not making any great claims as to the games 'grognard-like realism'...

Me, I can't wait for 82nd Airborne.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

The reason AH named the game Squad Leader was not because of its scale. It's name was derived from the fact leaders were depicted by their own counters as individual units, a breakthrough in game design for its time.

[This message has been edited by Abbott (edited 09-27-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Me, I just like the scale. More so than the scale depicted in CM even.

I am hoping beyond hope that they leave the data files 'open' ala "Close Combat" (but I doubt it). Then, perhaps the grognards can tweak it more toward realism.

I'll do the same I did with SaW and get it some place that has a two week return policy. Maybe I will keep this one. frown.gif

------------------

Squad leader is using the same engine (tweaked) that Chaos Gate used (so-so Warhammer 40k computer game). While Chaos Gate was "ok" 3-4 years ago, it's really looking aged. They're using the same engine. Movement points, everything...yuck. Don't believe me? Go get a copy of Chaos Gate from the bargin bin and compare it the Squad Leader screens. It's the same engine. It's being done by the same company that did Chaos Gate (go figure). I had thought about picking up Squad Leaer for sh*ts and grins, but not now wink.gif What a waste.

-john

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 09-27-2000).]