My first tank duel... questions

Boy, talk about nerve-wracking! I've played only QBs so far, and this is the first one large enough to get a proper tank duel.

I have a pair of Panzer IVs trading shots with 3 Priests, and a yet unidentified Tank and Light Armor at about 700-800m.

I've taken out 2 Priests, but the remaining targets seem blessed... my veteran tanks keep missing (and I bought those #$^%# vets to avoid that problem). The enemy, OTOH, keep scoring hit after hit, but none have penetrated yet. I guess I should consider myself lucky they haven't scored a track or gun hit.

My question is, why are the Americans hanging around? Eventually (I hope) my Panzers will find their marks again and I'm having no problems penetrating at this range, while it looks like they can't. I know they've hit my tanks at least 3 times each, so they should be confident enough to use APDS/tungsten/whatever... which I assume will make a difference. If I was them I'd pull back.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

The Priests have Hollow© and HE ammo If it's using the C ammo, then it can penetrate your armor at any range. But the problem is that it carries very few of that type of ammo. I'm in a QB, with 4 M7b1 Priests, and 2 started the game with 1 C ammo each, one had 4 and the other 6. It's possible that the Priest that is alive is already out of C ammo, and is now using HE. To hurt you with the HE, it will need to get a turret hit, but it can kill you. Would I pull back and try to work for a more effective side shot? Yep, but I wouldn't get cocky just yet, if I were you.

Question is, why are YOU hanging around? Ubertank Syndrome? Treat all armoured vehicles like eggshells armed with hammers. You've done some damage, now scoot before he gets lucky.

You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run... wink.gif

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

Well, I admit I'm probably suffering from a little Ubertank Syndrome wink.gif As I said this is the first game I've played where tanks have been outside the "one hit, one kill" range. Seeing no less than 6 shots bounce off my tanks with no damage had me laughing like a madman...

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 08-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatAWilson:

If I had two tanks firing AT rounds at a fairly thin armored vehicle that is returning HE I would hang around too. The odds are all in his favor. That doesn't guarantee a win but IMHO you have to play the odds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the unidentified tanks have to be taken into consideration. Whatever the current threat is you always have to assume something bigger and better is about to appear. Kill it and/or maneouver.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daveman:

Well, I admit I'm probably suffering from a little Ubertank Syndrome wink.gif As I said this is the first game I've played where tanks have been outside the "one hit, one kill" range. Seeing no less than 6 shots bounce off my tanks with no damage had me laughing like a madman...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'til you get immobilized, some flaked armour (that wounds/kills the crew) and you're forced to button... Murphy's Law rules on the battlefield.

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daveman:

Seeing no less than 6 shots bounce off my tanks with no damage had me laughing like a madman...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect the first Tiger crews had the same feeling in North Africa (which is where they first appeared I believe). Virtually all allied tanks and some anti-tank guns (anything below 75mm certainly) had little chance of a kill except from the side or the rear.

Fortunately the Tiger is a slow beast. If I were in a Sherman, etc. I'd use this fact to move out of it's way, pronto!!

------------------

Howard