Idea for a war movie

Forget the historical battles. Take a 60 turn CM game and make a movie out of it. In the place of the briefings, use situation maps and Generals telling Battalion commanders what the objectives are. Then film the movie from the Battalion commanders point of view with many many cutaways to the Company COs, platonn COs, squad COs and various other infantry/tank dudes. Each minute could be told from each side. The script is entirely dictated by a 60 turn CM scenario. Winners, losers, dead, wounded, fanatacism, cowards, all depicted on the big screen as shown on our little screens. You could even give it a historical background in that the OOB and battleground could be based on real WW2 battle, just the events that changed.

I'd love to watch a 2 hour movie based on that. Gauranteed to be action packed.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

i actually was considering making my own little original movie with cm providing the sets, chars, and props, then widescreen formattin it smile.gif.

and then rip off the end of seven samurai, the REAL best war movie of all time...

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 11-07-2000).]

nah, no US market, only the most hardened grognard wants to see a german wwii hero, otherwise everyone will assume he's nazi...we need one of the allies, maybe the polish.

we were studying them in wwii history class: fight for freedom for everyone. only one armored division but well motivated...homeland under german control, making for a dramatic backstory.

------------------

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest Andrew Hedges

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

nah, no US market, only the most hardened grognard wants to see a german wwii hero, otherwise everyone will assume he's nazi...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Das Boot was pretty popular in the US. Of course, they mostly fought the British, as did, on the Western Front, Wittman. Which is the actual key to making the movie successful. See, you get Mel Gibson to play Michael Wittman; that would bring in the crowds. And as we know from Mel's recent work -- Braveheart, the Patriot -- he really likes movies where he gets to kill the British. The only key is to not give Gibson too much editorial control, lest the crowd start rooting for the Nazis.

yeah, pretty much the only country where u can kill people at will without protest in us movies are the brits.

and i meant everyone will think the german character is a nazi, not the grog.

but did das boot have gory combat deaths of brits shown or just the impersonal ship blowing up?

------------------

I thought Hollywood was full of Nazis anyway.

Talking of movies, wouldn't it be great to be able to view an entire CM game with each move back to back - a continuous 45 min movies file..?

Is this technically possible does anyone know?

At least the option to save certain turns to view again later would be nice.

------------------

"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

Here's an idea for a great war movie... the election of the US president is unbelievably close. One winner is declared, but half the country is pissed. Chaos ensues.

Private Parts - Replaying an entire game in movie form is one of the highest items on the wish list. Last I recall they were seriously considering it for CM2, but it's not likely for CMBO.

------------------

"Whenever a mission ends and I still have a member of the red team standing, I have to ask myself: did I do enough to ensure my own safety?" - Old Man Murray review on SWAT3

Handy the topic of films came up... I was just thinking "Hey, when we had that thread about the best Second World War films, I should have mentioned None But The Brave!".

Rather than watching a film made of a game of CM, why not just play the game? Films ideally have a storyline, instead of just lots of pictures of stuff blowing up (although you wouldn't guess that by watching the average Hollywood offering these days).

David

button.gif

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 11-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Rather than watching a film made of a game of CM, why not just play the game? Films ideally have a storyline, instead of just lots of pictures of stuff blowing up (although you wouldn't guess that by watching the average Hollywood offering these days).

David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because I can play the game anyway and anytime I want, but in the end, it's still just pixels moving across a screen. Any life I give to them is all in my imagination. At least with a movie, there is the human element. They can give character to each soldier/unit. Make us feel for them, make us feel the horrors of war. As good as CM is, it ain't quite there yet. Maybe with CM2? smile.gif

Oh yeah, and they could give them "letters from home" (TM Hasbro) wink.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

and then rip off the end of seven samurai, the REAL best war movie of all time...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

spoiler for the movie seven samurai!!!

lastscene.jpg

kanbei[karposki]: we've lost again.

shichiroji[smith]: ?

kanbei[karposki]: the farmers are the winners. not us.

rice.jpg

------------------

[This message has been edited by russellmz (edited 11-09-2000).]

What are you guys talking about? Every German, soldier or citizen was a Nazi.

Nazism was THE political party of Germany from ~1933 to 1945. Hitler had everyone brainwashed in believeing in Nazism.

Also Nazism is nothing more than extreme Nationalism. Of which could also be classified as extreme Patriotism.