Dead Bodies

WHAT! No blood and gore? I dunno what their teaching these kids now-a-days, in my day we used the enemy's guts to grease the shine on our shoes, er was it the spoons in our soup, ah, maybe it was the beds of our Yanks.

Anyway, the way I figure it. The minute BTS does something like that, then knowing this bunch someone in the crowd is gonna jump up and want it to be totally realistic and demand a gravediggers unit, and I generally have enough trouble managing HMG's and Mortar support. Last thing I need is soup kitchens and bag taggers. biggrin.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

geesh ya can't win!! Sorry major, a little joke for those who have been around since beta days. Originally there were no dead bodies. But a hue and cry arose amongest some for bodies and even blood. BTS after listening to the board, both pro and con decided that the current body marker was a good compromise. A search into the archives will reveal alot of the attitudes and reasoning.

Must say you are the first to ask that they be not in.......that I recall....

Yes Bruno, but we need to decide if the Graves Registration unit is historically modeled and under what circunmstances it can be allowed to run!!!!! biggrin.gif

JD

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 12-23-2000).]

Has anyone considered that they might not all be dead?? They could be wounded or battle fatigued.

Anyways we need some indication that they didn't just disappear from the game due to a bug or something. With them lying there, it reminds me of the reality of war. We should always keep that in mind, lest we become calloused and think war is like it is in the Rambo movies.

Bravo to BTS for walking the fine line and not showing us pools of blood and such. They do everything with class!

Happy Holidays everyone.

Jumbo

As the others have suggested, most people who want the dead bodies changed want one for every man on the board. There used not to be any, but this was a bad thing, and I think if you played the Beta Demo you would understand this.

Rather than dead bodies they are an 'eliminated squad marker'. Without them, when the last man in a squad or team becomes a casualty, it just disappears off the face of the earth. Half the time you have no idea what happened to it.

BTS have struck an excellent compromise. Some people don't like the 'dead bodies', others want more, but what BTS have done is included them so far as they are functional. Learn to make use of them!

David

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumbo:

Has anyone considered that they might not all be dead?? They could be wounded or battle fatigued.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mayhap they're "pining for the fee-jords." biggrin.gif

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

Ah, ehm, The Norwegian Blue prefers kipping on it's back?

Beautiful bird?? Lovely plumage???

Mr. Praline?

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumbo:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're quite right, Jumbo. That was BTS' rationale in using "eliminated." This means that some/most are likely dead but others are wounded or rendered unable to continue fighting. In short, it just means the unit is out of action.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the old subject; I probably won't (after all) buy CM; I just don't like the idea of shooting at people/dead bodies. If there was a patch for the people who felt this way, I think it'd be a good idea; i.e.; just an X instead of a dead body, and not quite so detailed people; more of just a standard "man" with not as much realism; this would be a step backwards, but it'd only be a patch; well, how about it? (esp. Madmatt?)

Major Belles,

While I appreciate your position I think there are some thinks to keep in mind.

First the maker is not a dead body, Second other graphics whould be just as much clutter, Third the Body is not a real hit on BTS, basically it is just a prone person rolled over (easy to render).

For a long time (as others said) there was no marker at all. This was ok, but was a big pain in the butt. For one when a unit was eliminated, they were simply gone. There was no way later to click them to find out thier stats, ect...

A lot of things were discussed when they first were seen. everything from Helmets on rifles, to white crosses, ect...

I believe this was a simple way to meet in the middle. I personaly don't even notice them anymore unless I am actualy searching for a unit looking for a stat.

Sadly I just don't understand wanting to play a WWII sim, but not liking the idea of shooting at people. I'm sorry, I just don't understand it. I also am sad if this one issue keeps you from buying the best WWII squad level game ever created.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

MY GOD, no offense Major Belles but if you don't like dead bodies and shooting then what are you doing even considering buying a war game? Personally I'd like a dead body for each of the 3 men represented in a squad... but I'm happy with the current situation. And as for little markers instead of bodies, well that would just look stupid IMO.

Major Belles,

Please forgive me for what I may say, but why do you even play wargames if you don't like the thought of shooting AT people? I looked at your profile and I see that you are developing a game based on the Civil War. A war which was the bloodiest in terms of Americans killed in American history. What do you think you are creating, but something that represents people being mamed and killed, yet alone shot at? It seems an awfully silly hobbie of choice. It's like saying I work for a meat company and I'm designing a new meat grinder, but I can't bear the thought of someone actually putting meat into it. Does it not occur to you are quite hypocritical. Sorry to go on with this, but I was just so dumbfounded after reading your post, that I had to reply. Like I said before, please forgive me, I'm not trying to insult you at all, but I would suggest a different hobbie all the same.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Ayers (edited 01-03-2001).]

Guest Madmatt

Benny, your comments are out of line so you best secure that crap right now.

Everyone is fit to an opinion but that gives you no right to judge his comments or to be profane, regardless of what you were trying to accomplish by your rude words.

I am rapidly losing my patience with many of the posters in this forum, so let this be yet another warning to everyone. You WILL be tolerant and courtesy to others while you spend time in our house or you WILL be made to leave.

Madmatt