The effectiveness of the .50 caliber MG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I can understand that a higher ROF would mean more potent Anti infantry Gun... so when we compare the M2 to the Mg42 are we looking at a potent anti-armor vs. a potent anti-infantry gun, or am I just way off the mark here?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eridani-

It boils down to 'different tools for different jobs': I believe that the M2 .50 was actually originally designed as an antivehicle weapon (pre-war). Even if that's wrong, it still is more effective against a hard target than the much smaller-caliber MG42 due to the size and weight of its bullet. Likewise, the MG42 would be more effective (all else being equal) against soft targets due mainly to its high ROF as you mentioned.

That of course is not to say that I'd want to be fired on by either weapon - neither an MG42 while 'safe' in a thinly-armored box, nor an M2 .50 while hugging the earth; they are both deadly - they are machine guns, after all. They both keep heads down. smile.gif

Anyway, the M2 .50 spits a mean-sized bullet at a decent velocity a lo-o-o-ng way. But it is very big and very heavy (as is its ammo - those rounds are BIG). The MG42 spits a LOT of rifle-caliber bullets at a good velocity out to a decent range. And is very portable. You pick which you'd use against a HT, and which you'd use against a bunch of rifle platoons. smile.gif

The *true* bottom line is that heck, they're both great guns, going on more than half-a-century of service for each. I'll take one of each.

-dale

Guest Big Time Software

Maniac Moran said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

>Why would 20-30 meters make chance of >penetration go from 0 - 100?

Probably simple physics. A bullet will either penetrate or not penetrate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. This is true even for the big stuff, but especially true for smaller rounds because they have less kenetic energy and mass. I have no idea about the physics behind stuff like this, but Charles sure does wink.gif

The .50cal MG is more like a German 20mm AA gun. The .30cal is the one that is more like the MG34/42. Comparing the .50cal to any other light MG is like comparing a Sherman to a Stuart. Totally different beasts.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Well I don't know about CM (yet) but in Close Combat halftracks seem to get toasted practically every time they come under fire from MGs on up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL and in CC I can take out KTs hiding behind houses out of LOS with Calliopes.

Using CC as a benchmark for realism is like using poison ivy as garnish... i.e. Painful and DOOMED TO FAILURE !

Yeah, those armor penetration diagrams are things of sheer beauty,

aren't they? Boy, it sure would be nice if we could have every

possible weapon/ammo combination vs every possible target (plus

hull down seperate) available on the CD in these neat diagrams... wink.gif

Post from Steve dated June 3, 1999.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We will provide hundreds of these charts as part of the on-line documentation for the game. Probably in HTML or something, though we haven't decided.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether this is still the plan, I don't know.

Jason - master of the search function

Some days ago I watched a reportage about Navy SEALs on TV. A sniper with a .50 cal rifle was target practicing on the side armour of a M60 turret. I do not know if the bullet was meant to penetrate, but this is what he did.

Regards, Thomm

Thomm,

I was watching another program on anti-tank weapons, and indeed they are working on a 50 cal. sniper rifle with a laser guided BULLET! Apparently, they are in teams of two. One fires the rifle and the other "paints" the target with the laser. Quite effective when aimed at ammo magazine smile.gif.

Laser guided bullets. What'll they think of next? rolleyes.gif

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!