The Tanks are Coming (The Movie)

Actually, considering when it was made, The Tanks are coming has a credible mock-up of a Panther. It looks a little bit foolish, but at least they made the effort.

I do recall seeing an East European film on the foreign language TV channel many years ago. I didn't understand a word of it, but the German armour in it was definitely real, including a Tiger! It was a very old film. Perhaps it was the one mentioned above in this thread. Of course I watched it anyway... smile.gif

I have the making of documentaries/films for : "The longest day" & "A bridge too far". There are according to the films and the books that came with them, one original of every tank in the movie. The tiger that is see in the close ups was taken off the blocks from the royal museum in the UK and brought back to running status for the film then put back afterwards in mothball status. The same holds true for the other tanks in the film. All of the vehicles destroyed by special effects were TIN/Fiber glass dummies and can be seen to shake badly when going down the road in a couple of the XXX Corp shots. This is all according to the Making of documentries/films and books that came with my Collectors edition DVD's.

Another movie "Four panzerman and the dog".

(Bad translation from Polish)

About 22 - 1 hour episodes. Some have german armor in them.

I still recommend Kurskaya Duga in Russian it was made in the 50s or 60ties. Lots of german armor shown in a way you never seen it before! Ask about it in your local russian owned video store.

In ABTF the "Tiger" that punches through the remants of the Recce unit is a Leopard I (drive sprockets at the rear amoungst other things) as is the one parked outside the house where MAJGEN Urqhart holds up.

Also the SPA gun on the far side of the river (when the Bittrich's offer of surrender is rejected) isn't German.

Most of the recce units in the initial assault over the bridge looked pretty close though.

Again the "Tigers" in both KH and SPR are mockups (Idler at the front rather than the Drive Sprocket, Track and running gear).

For an accurate film try to find "Their's is the Glory". Its Black and White and I taped it one evening / early morning. I don't know where you can buy it.

It was filmed in '46 at actual locations with members of 1st Airbourne Div and incorporated wartime footage of Pz Kfw III, Pz Kfw V (Panther), Pz Kfw VIa (Tiger I) and Pz Kfw VIb (Tiger II) as well as Sd Kfz 250 variants.

Arnhem hadn't been cleaned up yet and there is footage of burning AFVs etc.

I suspect though that if you treat every movie as an AFV recognition test you will be very disappointed as the number of surviving, let alone operational German AFV's is very limited.

I think the best source of accurate footage is probably films from the old Soviet Union as they have a huge AFV museum outside Moscow (anyone who has a Maus must have a couple of Tigers just lying around).

------------------

Regards,

Mark:-{)

Anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook

aka kingtiger wrote:

WINTER War. It was loaded up with T34's

They were T-26s, to be exact. Courtesy of Soviet army 1939. Nearly all material in the movie were authentic with the notable exception of Soviet I-16 fighters that were meter-long models. The I-16 model is now in Finnish Air Museum.

Owen wrote:

A german film called Stalingrad (two guesses what it's about) if I remember rightly used real T-34s.

Yes. However, they were T-34/85s that were not yet in service at Stalingrad. (BTW: one of the three T-34s was sold to a Finn who now makes money by selling "experience trips".)

- Tommi

It won't be long now before we can see authentic AFVs using digital graphic technology wink.gif Just look how realistic Dinosaurs looks. Wouldn't be too hard, Just drive T-34 around, and composite a CG ontop of it smile.gif

Then we can have King Tigers, Jagpanthers etc all cruising round on the screen tongue.gif

Or how about a 100% CG WW2 movie? That I'd like to see.

ccj