People interested in FSAA

Ok non of CM frown.gif this first link is to Grand prix legends (GPL) 800X600 Non FSAA vs FSAA X4.

The screen will flick from one to the other.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/features/voodoo5/gplani.gif

This link shows non-fsaa to fsaa with N4

http://www.3dfx.com/3dfxtechnology/anti_aliasing.html

At this link you should Download (large DL) Midtown Madness 2, it has a split screen with non-fsaa on one side and fsaa on the other, you also get to see the truck moving.

Demo runs for 6 secs also.

http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=2366

Geoff

[This message has been edited by Cubes (edited 11-02-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Cool demo, however they took the MM2 screenshots in 640x480 in an effort to really overplay the jagginess cleanup.

IMO, the greatest advantage to FSAA is not in the edge jaggies but in the texture creep and shimmering that is cleaned up.

For that, you HAVE to see it in motion and those samples do a pretty decent job of showing that too.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Most of these examples suck, IMO.

Sure, if you compare one resolution with and without FSAA, the FSAA will likely look better.

What they should be comparing is like FPS, not like resolution.

I want to see the comparison between a 640x480 4xFSAA and the same scene without FSAA but at 1280x1024, or whatever resolution you can get for the same FPS without FSAA.

Jeff Heidman

As a few people have been asking about FSAA i took a bit of my time to search the net to find a few links.

I don't think CM is a FPS game ? correct me if i am wrong.

A bit of a catch 22 i feel, with higher resolution your FPS drop ? and with FSAA u also lose FPS.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of stirring the videocard jihad again, I thought this was interesting. This link compares the GeForce2 GTS 2x2 FSAA with the Voodoo 5500 4xFSAA. They say these are the comparable settings, but I don't know for sure. They also do not discuss the effective framerate of the two, if that is a concern.

http://www.3dpulpit.com/Reviews/nVidia_GF2GTS/compare/mdk2_aatoggle.html

------------------

We eat like kings, drink like czars, and game like fat drunken king-czars. - CaSCa

CMBO, among all my other games, at 1024 by 768 looks much better with fsaa than w/o fsaa, in motion or not. So far *every* game I own looks much better with fsaa than w/o fsaa at any resolution. I love not having to look at jagged edges, shimmering or texture creep.

-john

I have both a Voodoo 5 and an ASUS flavour of Geforce DDR. I have used both to play CMBO with, at various resolutions, and differing levels of FSAA.

Here, for what it's worth is my opinion. smile.gif

Geforce 2x is almost as good as Voodoo 2x at the same resolution. It's close, but on my monitor, the image does seem crisper and cleaner with the Voodoo card.

Geforce 2x though, is NOT a patch on Voodoo 4x. FSAA 4x gives the best implementation, the best image quality by far, and isn't that slow at 1024 x 768 in CMBO.

I run CMBO on the Geforce at 1280 x 1024 2x FSAA, but it is certainly not as good visually as Voodoo 4x FSAA and 1024 x 768.

At these resolutions, the Geforce IS quicker than the Voodoo. But, let's be honest here, it's not a shooter we're talking about. If it plays back at a framerate that your happy with, then I'd go for the extra visual quality in CMBO any day.

Both cards give good results in CMBO with FSAA enabled, I certainly couldn't play the game (and many others) without it now. biggrin.gif