LOS Overlay Feature in CM2?

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

Actually, it is impossible to do due to CPU limitations. LOS checks are the most intensive calculations in CM. Checking from known point to known point in a 3D environment is OK, but from one point to ALL points is asking way too much of the CPU. I doubt anybody would want to wait, I dunno, something like 30 seconds to several minutes (depending on CPU speed) for a single unit's LOS check.

So, not a bad idea but impractical none the less.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 11-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

So, not a bad idea but impractical none the less.

Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, Steve. I bet you the shipping and handling for my copy of CM2 that Charles figures out how to do this before CM2 ships. biggrin.gif

Nick

[This message has been edited by clcaldwell (edited 11-09-2000).]

Not realistic at all. Try looking at a small scale map and deciding where the topagraphical elevations are. You may make some educated guesses with good data, but you won't be able to tell perfectly where hull-down, etc, terrain is. I suspect they won't, but please don't waste any time on this BTS.

How about displaying a LOS map that plots LOS on a grid? Meaning rather than plot every single point (very CPU intensive and probably just a little too much info) display LOS at points, say every 10 meters or something like that.

That would give a decent approximation and show me about where I should drag my LOS line around to get the gory details.