Purchasing Combat Mission

I recently found out about this game because of its review on GameSpot. I've been playing wargames since Kampfgruppe way back when, and I am interested in purchasing CM. Is the only place to order it Battleground.com?

I am also interested in learning how this game is doing, sales-wise. Does anyone know how successful it is?

Thank you!

-Scorp

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scorpion:

I recently found out about this game because of its review on GameSpot. I've been playing wargames since Kampfgruppe way back when, and I am interested in purchasing CM. Is the only place to order it Battleground.com?

I am also interested in learning how this game is doing, sales-wise. Does anyone know how successful it is?

Thank you!

-Scorp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you like tactical wargames, such as Panzer blitz or ASL, you'll like Combat Mission. It combines the best in table-top wargames with the best in computer wargames. I suggest you download the Gold Demo from battlefront.com before ordering the full version as it will reveal any problems you might have with your computer. Be prepaired to enjoy yourself.

Wayne.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I would say that if you don't buy it yesterday! it will be very hard to get(or at least the wait will be even longer than it is now) as all these high rating reviews are going to suddenly make tens of thousands of people go..."combat mission? hmmm it got a 9.5 from twitchdaily.com...hmmm maybe I better get a copy..."

Order NOW!! I did 5 days ago and am hoping that I have beaten the worst of the review-inspired rush...

Yeah, I remember myself playing Kampfgruppe on my Commodore Amiga way back in 1985...

Hi, I'm from The Netherlands and a couple of

days ago I ordered Combat Mission on Battlefront.com, as there is NO OTHER WAY

of getting the game.

I do think this is a real pity, because after

playing the demo I was totally knocked out

by the SHEER BRILLIANCE of the NEW GAME-CONCEPT and the NEVER BEFORE SEEN QUALITY of the A.I..

I think a game as good as this deserves to

be retailed all over the world, so that all

those "Real-Time-Strategists" could take a look at what real wargaming is all about!

Not that I dislike "RTS"-games, but I've played them all and to be honest, it's most

flashy graphics, the A.I. can't cope or gives

you no chance (because a computer can handle

all sorts of stuff at the same time) and

the game-concepts normally vary on a same-ol'-samo scale...

I think the concept of CM is the future of

wargaming and many of the BIG HYPE GAME COMPANIES should take notice of the lesson that Big Time Software has showed them...

For me, being a "Steel Panthers" fan for quite a couple of years now, Combat Mission

has toppled SP from it's number one position

in my (turnbased) strategy-chart.

Anyway, I think you should order Combat Mission as soon as possible, as the raving reviews on the net certainly do the game justice and could ignite a total CM-mania!

(Oh, I do hope so...)

Thanks for the replies! I placed an order this evening, without downloading the demo. This is based on the fact that from everything I have read, this game is a digital version of one of the best miniatures games I have ever played. I believe it was called "Battleground," but I can't remember at this point.

However, I do have a question: Why would the sales numbers be considered "confidential business information?" Should I be asking that of the publisher? Usually, number of units sold is a public number - it isn't as if I'm asking for their cost structure, or a balance sheet.

In many industries where the developer (or author)/publisher relationship exists, units sold is a public number. In this case, why would the company want to hide it?

If anything, publishing that number can help companies like Atomic see that it isn't necessarily a pretty interface or bells and whistles that sell a wargame - it is a dedication to realism and gameplay. Unless it is a 'fluff' game like Panzer General.

Anyways, I would tend to think that the success of CM could be used to champion the cause of not only historical realism & gameplay, but the appeal of turn based wargames, and even the success of the independent publisher. (Much like Steven King's attempt to stick it to the big book publishing houses)

Of course, all this is speculation if the developer/publisher refuse to release the number of units of CM sold. I just can't think of a reason why they would do so...

Thanks!

-Scorp

Scorpion,

because the figures would look measley compared to what the big companies sell.

When those figures are taken out of context they could be used to hurt the company.

My guess is that if you look at earnings and especially earnings/employee-year I'd guess the big companies would sit up and take notes. But such a comparison would require BTS to disclose a wee bit more about the company than they might want to.

BTS has also made perfectly clear that they will not release them at the moment and that they'd prefer if we didn't speculate too much on this topic.

I suggest we respect their wishes and just drop the subject, ok?

Sten

------------------

Keep your whisky on the rocks and your tanks on the roll.

[This message has been edited by Sten (edited 07-21-2000).]

Guest Bad Ju Ju

Buy it. To all those who hesitate to make an "on-line" transaction with BTS, relax! BTS is as for real as CM. You will get your game shortly, your credit card won't be charged thousands of dollars to an account in the Caymans and you will have purchased probably the best tactical computer wargame since Tac Ops and the greatest ever for WWII. Don't let the urge for instant gratification let you overlook this wonderful game!

Sten,

I had no idea what BTS has made perfectly clear. If this is the case, I will drop the subject.

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the way that post came across was extremely condescending. Thank you for the information, but next time I would appreciate it if you approached the situation with the understanding that I do not have the in-depth knowledge of what the management of BTS feels that you seem to have.

-Scorp

scorpion:

I wouldn't get offended by sten's post, lad. I read it and it didn't seem condescending to me. I think he was just trying to be clear. The problem with 'typed text' is that its hard to infer the tone of voice.

Welcome to the community! All in all its a nice family of people here. One occassionally encounters nastiness but very rarely and usually from the same few people.

I dare say that CM is the best wargame you will ever own. Well, until CM2 comes out.

Regards,

GAFF

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the way that post came across was extremely condescending.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's always well to remeber that a significant number of people on this board live outside the US and a significant number do not speak English as their native tongue. Now I do not know if this applies to Sten, but his profile (email icon w/ ? mark) shows that he is in Stockholm, Sweden. So there always is a chance that what a person writes as interpretated by the reader is mistaken. As gaffertape said ALOT is lost or uncertain w/ typed text only.

All that aside, welcome to a new world.

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

Guest Zulu1

In regards to sales figures they can have meaning or not and as Sten pointed out, they can be used for malicious purposes.

I remember cases where book publishers had a deal set up where they would send people to the local dealers and buy up their own stock, thus getting on the best sellers list and driving up demand. Net result sales figures were meaningless.

The true test of a game's worth is how it is received by the target community. CM now has oodles of awards from just about all the game sites etc and the people that have it are seem to be very happy with it.

So Scorpion, prepare to have your other games start gathering dust. As a bonus, CM will free up space on your hd.

Guest ACTOR

Scorp, One thing that was mentioned earlier that deserves mentioning again, was to download the Gold Demo. It will give you a good idea as to how your system will handle CM. You can go to the Tech Forum and see, many people have experienced problems.

It is a good idea to tweak your system using the demo, that way you can play CM full-up for days on end when it arrives! biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard

[This message has been edited by ACTOR (edited 07-21-2000).]

Scorpion,

Basically, sales figures aren't going to be given out the the "public" since then competitors to BTS and BF.C would be able to gauge the success of CM AND we all know that in conflict one NEVER gives away any info which one doesn't have to give away.

So, really, your answer is that BTS isn't giving the info out simply because they've decided not to and as beta testers or players we've simply got to respect that.

From what I hear though they're not exactly depressed about the sales so far though wink.gif and the 9 out of 10 and 10 out of 10 reviews keep coming in so I imagine more and more newbies will appear on this forum.

Sten,

I had no idea what BTS has made perfectly clear. If this is the case, I will drop the subject.

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the way that post came across was extremely condescending. Thank you for the information, but next time I would appreciate it if you approached the situation with the understanding that I do not have the in-depth knowledge of what the management of BTS feels that you seem to have.

-Scorp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scorpion, my English is by no means perfect. I often make mistakes and for that I apologise. If you felt that my post was condescending, please accept my sincere apologies, because that was never my intention.

I tried to be as clear and concise as possible, to avoid any misunderstandings.

I hope that, despite the perceived condescending tone, you got your questions answered.

To help me avoid making the same mistake in the future, could you please tell me just what it was that was condescending?

I don't ask this to be argumentative, but I reread my post several times and I just don't get it.

Sten

Thank you, everyone who replied. I know all too well the dangers of trying to interpret text, and it is my fault for not being more understanding.

Sten - This line is the one that struck me: "I suggest we respect their wishes and just drop the subject, ok?" I am not sure why, but that got my hackles raised; it felt as though you were talking down to me.

Please don't second-guess your English. For someone who supposedly speaks it as a 'second language,' your English is far better than that of many Americans. (You can take that as a compliment or a knock on the American school system)

Forget I said anything; I obviously misinterpreted what was said, and I certainly did not mean to cause all this ruckus. Please accept my apologies.

So, anyways, I downloaded the gold demo, and will be throwing it on my PIII-667 soon. Does anyone know if the 'problems' referred to above will surface on an NVidia GEForce?

Thanks!

-Scorp

Flipper...

I'm too one of the "un"happy few that ordered CM and chose paying by check.

I sent it on the 8th of July and still haven't got any response ( snail-mail to the States usually takes about 5 work days )

Well, it seems I just have to keep on waiting frown.gif

Scorpion, I'm happily playing with a system very much like yours.

Mine is a GeForce 256DDR.

There's NO probs whatsoever with CM to date.

And in case you're wondering, those MODS you could download on some other sites (Go check the excellent http://combathq.thegamers.net/) work like a breeze.

Welcome on board.

Have a good game and good hunting.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 07-22-2000).]