Worth Buying?

Kilaen

I've read all the glowing reviews but the demo seems pretty difficult. I like strategy games but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Combat Mission is for the "hardcore" crowd only. The demo is fun at times but I'd like to win once at least! smile.gif

Would the manual that came with the full game considerably help out a softcore wargamer?

Thanks for your help, etc.

Buy it.

Now that's the best piece of advice I've given in a while.

Second one will be:

Play a jerk. There are plenty of us useless dork in here and you'll be able to learn the mechanics of the game while seeing strange tactics from your opponents.

Really, read the posts, many are willing to try and learn.

CM is the best game around, so you'd better try and improve with it then with some other thingies.

If it doesn't help, do a PBEM with some willing Grog and have them patronizing you at each of your mouvement.

Try, Learn, Try again.

Then beat some to pulp.

If nothing else works, play Seanachai.

Welcome in here by the way.

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 09-11-2000).]

I think it is more accessible for the casual wargamer than most. Everything is in 3D. You actually see what is going on and what you need to do. In time, you will get a good feel for how you need to be successful.

I think that most of us went through the same problems in the demo that you describe. I know that I did! AI was smacking me all around the place. If you listen closely to the board and do some searches you will find people talking about tactics that work and some that don't.

The best place to learn (compare and contrast) tactics is at Combat Mission HQ.

http://combathq.thegamers.net/

Go to the section containing AAR's and you will find some excellent advice from a first hand account on how to be successful. They are excellent reading!

You will be sorry to have passed this game up if you don't buy it. It is an instant classic.

You must learn to crawl before you can walk. This game does have a learning curve but it is nothing that you can't overcome with a few PBEM battles from the people on the board and some minor research into tactics.

What will work in real life will work in this game.

smile.gif

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

[This message has been edited by kb9sog (edited 09-11-2000).]

in my opinion YES. My friend also took look at the game and wasn't too impressed, "too difficult".

However I showed him the moves and the choices of orders available and soon he was enthralled by the game. The large, easy to read manual that comes with the game should give you the same help as i did for my mate.

If not there are dozens of ppl on here that will help you out, just browse the board (hamsters and borgs even help out on occasion)

Not only that but the incredible amount of modifications available make this game well worth getting.

Don't let the Demo get you down. The AI kicked my butt several times until I got the feel of things. Using real-world tactics works best, as opposed to the gamey tactics that I first tried out. If you're unfamiliar with "real" tactics, do not fear. This forum, along with the Combat HQ is full of tactical knowledge - it might be full of something else too, but I won't delve into that right now wink.gif

The game is worth getting, and the more you practice, the better you'll get. I also suggest a PBEM with a player that's willing to constructively criticize your moves. That is the number one reason for my improvement. I now soundly kick the AI around in many a battle, and even give a few players the once over now and again smile.gif GET THE GAME, MAN. Join the collective!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. As a gamer for over 23 yrs my first being Tactics II at 10 I must say DON'T QUIT. You will potentially give up a lifetime of challenges and enjoyment. Look at each turn as a complex puzzle that must be deciphered or dire consequences will be the result.Each man has value don't sacrifice your men as they are real to you in cyber space, use real world Tactics and you wil realize success. Don't miss out.

------------------

Seize the Day!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kilaen:

The demo is fun at times but I'd like to win once at least! smile.gif

Would the manual that came with the full game considerably help out a softcore wargamer?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try playing a few turns (of a scenario that you've already played) with fog of war turned off. It will help you to see how the AI plays and some of the mechanics of moving around--how things work will be much clearer. The AI isn't as good as a decent player, but it will definitely punish you if you make mistakes, so watching the AI will help you learn what to do/no to do.

The manual also helps, but there's nothing like playing a bunch of games with a lot of different equipment to learn how to play better.

Since I started playing i have shown the game to atleast 10 of my friends. All of them thought that it looked way to complexe but when I started showing them the basics of it they soon turned in to Sherman killing maniacs hehe

One other thing that they have said is confusing is the use of all these terms... like FOW, LOS, FO and so on. If you are not a somewhat experienced strategy gamer this will seem very hard to understand.

My suggestion to you is to read the reviews of the game and also visit some of the fan sites. If you are wondering about any of the terms then either ask here in the forum or check my page for a list of the most used terms.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the PBEM ladder soon : )

------------------

< All gave some, some gave ALL>

Owner of MiNa's CMBO Page

http://come.to/combatmission

Welcome to the forum and to a game that is a wargammers dream.

It is well worth the cash. If you take some time and study real tactics it can be real rewarding. Nothing like getting back to personal accounts of the action on the front.

If you want to learn as you go, then go ahead. We even have 5 year olds playing this game.

Check out the links on the various web sites posted in the forum and look into any info on tactics! wink.gif

------------------

"Victory smiles upon those who anticipate the changes in the character of war, not upon those who wait to adapt themselves after they occur."

General Guilio Douhet

I've been wargamming for 15 years, from Risk to Axis and Allies, from Squad Leader to Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. So perhaps my opinion is a little "Hard Core".

But, Once you learn the basic mechanics and controls of the game, I'm sure you'll find it no more complex than a good game of Stratego. Yet were this game realy wins out is the amount of information the player is able to obtain about just how well his forces are performing in the heat of battle. The depth of individuality between the units is remarkable and very useful once you get the practice. It is indeed worth the pesos. the more patient you are with it the more you will enjoy it. You have my word on that.

smile.gif

cool.gif

------------------

Hot enough for ya'?

DaKilnGuy

Lilaen,

If you want send me a setup of one of the games in the demo and we can go through it together step by step, I can explain everything that I am doing and you can see the results easily enough. I am no expert or grog, but like you I hd my butt whipped several times by the AI and had someone do this to me and I learnt a lot.

My email is gashford@freenetname.co.uk

I won't be bothered about who wins in our game, just try to help you see what is going on. The full version is a great game and it would be a pity for you to miss out.